This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonies Question

Was each colony in charge of a system of planets? Such as a solar system, each with it's main "capitol" wolrd such as Caprica and then other less settled or liveable worlds where they mined or what not? Any clairification on this at all?

Nobody really knows for sure. I think it was said that Caprica is in the same system as one of the other colonies, as the way they traveled in the mini, but mostly, as Tigh said, the galaxy is a barren place, so I doubt they had anything besides their core 12 worlds.
    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Don't forget about Boomer, who "originated" from Troy, a mining settlement separate but attached through satellite influence of one of the other colonies, I think it was Aerelon.
      "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

If I remember my Galactica Solar system, correctly. I do believe that the planets are set up like the Milky Way. They are all in the same system but have a lot distance between them that they can run independently but still have connections with each other.

Comment

Maybe the set-up for 12 colonies (plus satellite outposts) to be in such close proximity to each other without being in different star systems is for the home system to be a binary or trinary star system, with enough distance between the stars to allow them to each have a system of orbiting planets.

Comment

Originally posted by Frakster
            Maybe the set-up for 12 colonies (plus satellite outposts) to be in such close proximity to each other without being in different star systems is for the home system to be a binary or trinary star system, with enough distance between the stars to allow them to each have a system of orbiting planets.
            I was wondering though if your correct, would the Colonies need FTL on thier ships? Would'nt they be close enough to use just standard rockets as we [earth] do now? Please excuse, if this is a elementary question. I'm not a science whiz & really am not sure.
            Thanks for your time!
            Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Frakster
              This is probably the most plausible explaination, but it would require that there be no gas giants beyond the goldielocks zone, or they'll preturb the inner planets orbit and spin them into the sun or out of the system.

Also, the odds of having two habitable planets in the same system are pretty low. Some might be close, but would require terraforming to get them to where people could live on them. Others would be so far off that they couldn't be terraformed with all the colonies resources.
              I seem to remember that Billy said that the ruins on Kobol were around 2000 years old (he mumbled the line), which is no way near enough time to terraform a planet like Mars.

The only way you could fit that many habitable planets in close enough is if they orbited stars belonging to a star cluster - perhaps 100 stars each within less than a light year of another. That would allow you to have 12 habitable planets, all within jump drive range, and improves the odds for a system to have multiple naturally habitable planets.

Originally posted by USA1290
              I was wondering though if your correct, would the Colonies need FTL on thier ships? Would'nt they be close enough to use just standard rockets as we [earth] do now? Please excuse, if this is a elementary question. I'm not a science whiz & really am not sure.
              Thanks for your time!
              Stephen
              They'd definately need FTL propulsion. If the colonies were located in a trinary star system, each star would have to be at least 10-50 AU away from the other stars, or they'd preterb inner orbits (which means no planets).

When you're talking 10-50 AU, you're talking a trip that would take years to make with conventional rockets. I mean, Voyager - which was launched in 1977 with conventional rockets - was only 95 AU away in March of 2005. If Voyager was headed towards Alpha Centauri, it would take 80,000 years to get there.
              Last edited by Jarnin; 31 December 2005, 07:43 PM.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
              X