Star Trek DVD prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek DVD prices

Why on earth do they charge sooo much for the Star Trek series of DVDs and other shows are so much cheaper????

Ie. Star Trek Original series season 1: $119
    Stargate Season 1: $34.99

Whether it be Voyager, which should be very cheap by now, but no, the price is like it just came out yesterday.

I'd wished it was cheaper, so I can buy all the seasons of Voyager. I owe the 3 ST original series though -- had to have that without question and so I paid premium for it. Besides, having 3 colored tricorders is a bonus
    Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

I think it could be to do with the amount of episodes per season. Star Trek always had an average of 26 episodes per season. I think it could also factor into the cost, the DVD presentation case and special features on the DVD.

Where did you get that price from? I'm about to order Deep Space Nine season one myself from play.com (UK). The normal retail price was £84.99, about 147 US dollars, for each season. The UK play.com currently has a sale on and I can get them all for £37 (64 US dollars) per season. That's only for region 2 DVDs though.

I've had a look at the US website and the prices are currently $151.99, I don't think there is a sale on either.

I have a question about all Trek series. I was looking at the technical features and the viewing aspect is fullscreen 4:3. Were all Star Trek series up to the end of Voyager not filmed in widescreen?
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

The prices quoted are in Canadian dollars -- so I guess in comparison to elsewhere, we have it cheap

I know that the original series was definitely not widescreen, and I think Voyager as well.
      Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

why do they charge so much???

because there are millions of trek fans who will pay the price to have copies of thier show.

paramount has been milking the trek franchise for over a generation and they're not likely to stop anytime soon

the ridiculous price is one reason i've never bought them. i dont' like the show enough to shell out a few thousand dollars to have them
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          why do they charge so much???

because there are millions of trek fans who will pay the price to have copies of thier show.

paramount has been milking the trek franchise for over a generation and they're not likely to stop anytime soon

the ridiculous price is one reason i've never bought them. i dont' like the show enough to shell out a few thousand dollars to have them
          same here. And I agree. Its pathetic though. I can't stand it. From Amazon.com the sets are over $100, and at places like Best BUy, you'll find them from $97-114+. It's absurd.

Luckily since I review DVDs for a website (the links in my sig) I got all 4 season of Enterprise, all 3 season of TOS, and all 7 seasons of Voyager for freeeee!!!! wooo.

so now i just need to add TNG and DS9 to my collection. that could take a while though.

Comment

even during sales, i've still noticed the Star Trek DVDs to cost more. right now the SG1 boxsets cost £30, but normally £60. Star Trek DVD are costing £45 compared to the normal price of £85. the closest thing to SG1 prices are the original series boxsets.

when it comes to the DVDs, the Star Trek Boxsets only have 1 extra DVD and i'm not sure sure an extra £25 is worth 1 extra DVD, no matter what the series.

right now in the UK, for a normal price of a star trek boxset, you could pretty much get 3 SG1 boxsets thanks to the sales

sigpic

Comment

I know that all Star Trek boxsets in Australia are on special for about $80 AUS. They're usually about $120 AUS.
              Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
              Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Uhm, so really SG, etc fans aren't as nutty as us Trekkies to pay a billion dollars for a DVD set?
                Don't make me zat you

Comment

I want to eventually own TNG, DS9, Babylon 5, and some of the X files, but all of those series are so expensive compared to other TV shows or even other sci-fi shows. Maybe someday I'll get lucky and find a great sale...

Comment

Either that, try Ebay....the only price drop I've seen so far is with TNG, which is now going for $99. After all these years still it's pricey!
                    Don't make me zat you

Comment

Originally posted by Kensterman
                      Why on earth do they charge sooo much for the Star Trek series of DVDs and other shows are so much cheaper????

Yeah, it is outragous, $100 per DVD collection. I have the whole DS9 Series one DVD, and it's all worth $700 (thank god I bought each season Set at Walmart, where the prices are cheaper).
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I can't believe that I bought TOS for over $300. Ah well, I absolutely wanted it and knew that I could not wait for any sale or 1000 light years away to owe it.
                        Don't make me zat you

Comment

I'm not going to let the prices stop me from buying DS9. I used to buy TNG and Voyager on VHS cassettes, the two episode versions. They cost about £12, so that equates to about £156 per season. You can imagine how much that cost me to collect nearly all seasons.

If I'm quick, I can buy DS9 for £37 per season. Even if I bought DS9 at the full price of £84, it would still be cheaper than what I used to pay for VHS cassettes... ah, the price we pay for our love of Star Trek
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Kensterman

Whether it be Voyager, which should be very cheap by now, but no, the price is like it just came out yesterday.

I'd wished it was cheaper, so I can buy all the seasons of Voyager. I owe the 3 ST original series though -- had to have that without question and so I paid premium for it. Besides, having 3 colored tricorders is a bonus
                            Ridiculous.....maybe someday they'll be cheaper.....yeah right.

Comment

I've seen Star Trek seasons (any series) from anywhere between $75 and $130 per season. Depends on where you go. Amazon and e-bay are decent places to get seasons cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X