Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would ST still be alive today if Roddenbery was too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would ST still be alive today if Roddenbery was too?

In the ST special I watched the other day, the indicative doom of the show was attributed by the passing of Roddenbery - the true spirit of Star Trek went with him. The show's opinion was that the 'theme' of ST was changed so much that it became its downfall since he was no longer at the helm to provide any guidance.

So I wonder whether Star Trek would still be alive today if he was as well.
    Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Hmmm.... *strokes chin thoughtfully* who knows?
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

What special was this?
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Personally, I don't think so. I enjoyed each and every Star Trek (well, except the original, because I was forced to watch it, in its day. And I do think there will be more, when, I wouldn't even consider guessing about. Roddenberry put the idea out there...there are plenty of people to run further with it...and if any network thinks they'll make money out of it...they'll try.

Comment

Originally posted by leaper
          I enjoyed each and every Star Trek (well, except the original, because I was forced to watch it
          Who "forced" you to watch ST and why? I can't imagine the circumstances
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
            Who "forced" you to watch ST and why? I can't imagine the circumstances
            er...parents!!

Comment

You lucky so'n'so, having such cool folks!
              sigpic

Comment

Personally, I think he would have been shoved out bit by bit by B&B...no matter how important he is the the ST universe...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Season's 5,6 and 7 of TNG, all of DS9 and Voyager and don't forget Enterprise (so easy to forget already ) all came after Rodenberry died. So I would say that Star Trek did just fine without him, whether or not it would have been better, worse or there would be a current ST series running now, I have no idea .
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Wasn't DS9 the last show he approved? Whether he agreed with the direction it (and other Treks) took, we'll never know.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                      Wasn't DS9 the last show he approved? Whether he agreed with the direction it (and other Treks) took, we'll never know.

I'm not sure, I think he died the same year DS9 premiered.

You ever read about how Rodenberry came up with the concept for Star Trek?.....I remember reading he was an airline pilot for Pam-Am or United and flew the trans-Atlantic route for years. He said doing all the flying among the clouds gave him alot of time to wonder and fantasize about a futuristic Utopian society.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Roddenberry came up with a good concept but also made a lot of mistakes.
                        Also what advantage could there have been by having one person in charge of the show for all 28 seasons?

Comment

What great parents! Forcing you to watch Star Trek What else was there?

Originally posted by leaper
                          er...parents!!
                          Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                            I'm not sure, I think he died the same year DS9 premiered.
                            No, he died in '91 (before Star Trek VI was in Theaters), and DS9 premiered in '93.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kensterman
                              What great parents! Forcing you to watch Star Trek What else was there?
                              Not if you don't like Shatner, I think it was punishment, I was about 10. I'm amazed that I even watched any of the others.

Comment

Working...
                              X