This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

33 and FTL range explained?

Doing some typical stuff in Physics today, i got really bored and started thinking about the episode 33.

I believe it took 33 minutes for the Cylons to recieve a signal from sleeper agents, possibly on the Olympic carrier.

This places the Cylon Fleet 594 million km away from the fleet (speed of light times time: 33min). This is roughly 4 times the distance between Earth and Mars.

This allows for some assumptions in other episodes:
    1. The max distance the fleet can jump is roughly 600 million km. This is possibly the longest distance most ships of the fleet can jump. Not including Galactica herself (which possibly has a longer range). I figured this as the Cylons can begin tracking their present location after the Colonials jumped. 33 minutes later, they picked up the signal again and jumped.

2. The Cylon fleet must know this, and possibly the general heading of the Fleet.
    Spoiler:
    Which also sorta explains how the Cylon fleet is shadowing the Colonials, as noted in Pegasus

Spoiler:
    The Pegasus couldve used the same method to track the Cylon Fleet and the Galactica

I figured this remembering the many of earth's broadcasts are travelling at the speed of light out into the vast reaches of the universe. On a smaller scale, this could work. Perhaps using 3 points of reference, the Cylons can triangulate the fleet's position based on Dradis signals and the broadcasts of Fleet Wireless.

Can some tell me how many jumps Galactica has made to date? Discounting those in
    Spoiler:
    Scattered where they jumped back to recalculate
    ? Starting from the escape of Ragnar.

Maybe we can get a general idea of how far the fleet has travelled, maybe extrapolate a max range for a Cylon Raider.

They're jumping into other solar systems, which means they must be covering lightyears as the show progresses. Also, at some point in season one ('The Hand of God'?), someone makes a comment about "sending the Raptors out further...ten, fifteen lightyears". Or something to that effect.

a time to mourn

Comment

True... but perhaps the Cylons are tailing the colonials by staying within range to get whisper's of the fleets commo. Perhaps 600million km away.

Or in 33 they made short jumps which are proabably easier to calculate.

Im just curious how the Peg found them too.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
        Doing some typical stuff in Physics today, i got really bored and started thinking about the episode 33.

I believe it took 33 minutes for the Cylons to recieve a signal from sleeper agents, possibly on the Olympic carrier.

This places the Cylon Fleet 594 million km away from the fleet (speed of light times time: 33min). This is roughly 4 times the distance between Earth and Mars.
        Although your physics is flawless I don't agree on some assupmtions you've made. We know the Cylons appears every 33 minutes (not 34 or 35 or 30). Your assumption is that the time is based solely on distance and that the fleet is jumping max distance each and every time. That would be poor tactics on Adama's part and he is NOT a poor tactician.
        Furthermore, we heard Adama and Tigh talking about trying new things. I believe we can assume they have tried many things already -- including long jumps, short jumps, forward, back, etc. By jump 247 they had probably done it in double dutch! Yet the 33 minutes remained constant. It seems unlikely that it is distance based.

BTW, for my money '33' is the best episode so far. I've watched it half a dozen times.
        Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

Yeah, i love it.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
            Im just curious how the Peg found them too.
            S2 "Pegasus"
            Spoiler:
            Cain had this to say:

Roslin: How did you find us?

Cain: Well, we were tracking a cylon fleet. We were trying to predict their movements, which seemed rather random, initially, until we realized that they just jumping to systems with natural resources. So we began to scout those systems ourselves, hoping to carry out hit-and attacks on their fleet. But instead of finding the cylons, we found you.

Originally posted by madk99
            BTW, for my money '33' is the best episode so far. I've watched it half a dozen times.
            Only half a dozen times. Pfft. I've watched every ep. in both seasons at least that many times while others I've probably seen more than a dozen times. Pathetic. I know. But honestly there is nothing else to watch on TV....

And yeah that is a great ep.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
            X