This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
    Thank you very much! I'm lookign forward to reading these. Oh, and "A Matter of Time" is one of my favorite SG-1 episodes (I have always been fascinated by the black holes!), so it's even cooler.
    Oh, sweet! Then you'll probably enjoy the story as a whole. My characterization of Frank Cromwell is that he's kind of an analytical guy too... enjoys science as a layman, and tries to apply that view to whatever he encounters, when he can.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I'm in the mood for some doom and gloom, so I have this question: what are the very best apocafic stories in the Stargate fandom, in your opinion? Gen/any pairing will be fine.

Comment

I'm in the mood for some doom and gloom, so I have this question: what are the very best apocafic stories in the Stargate fandom, in your opinion? Gen/any pairing will be fine.
        I mostly read Tok'ra fic, and the only two that comes to mind right now that are apocafics are

The Petri Dish. PG-13. The last surviving members of SGC, as well as three Tok'ra, and a few Jaffa flee the advancing Ori forces. This is the story of their experiences. Takes place around SGA season 4, before the Ark of Truth. No pairings.

Deep Trouble. Goes AU from "In the Line of Duty". When Apophis returned with his ships to take his revenge on the Tau'ri, the only option was escape. Exiled on another planet with a minimum amount of supplies and allies, the plan is still to take back Earth. The only hitch? Their best chance at beating the Goa'uld is a Goa'uld, specifically a rebel named Jolinar who has taken Sam as a host. With Jolinar's allegiance uncertain, she must win over the trust of the Tau'ri and their leaders before she can return to the Tok'ra to forge an alliance that could change the galaxy. Minor Sam/Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash. Completed NC-17 version on ArchiveofourOwn (Author link: http://archiveofourown.org/users/roeskva/pseuds/roeskva), PG-13 version not yet completed on Fanfiction.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8370803/1/Deep_Trouble
        sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Hm, but there are some listings of Apocafics that I saw somewhere, and I think Stargate Fic recs on Livejournal have some. Checking...

Earth-shattering Kaboom: Stargate Apocafic recs: http://infanity.ficlaundering.com/kaboom/

Stargate fic recs on Livejournal, the tag apocafic: http://stargateficrec.livejournal.com/tag/apocafic

Tags apocalypse and Stargate SG-1 combined, on AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/sea...ery[language]=
          sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Thank you very much, Hathor_girl! Lots of very interesting recs; this sure will keep me occupied for quite some time!

Comment

There's also the Apocalypse Kree ficathon that's run for three years and just opened for prompts for 2012. Some good fic, as I recall.

Comment

This is probably not the right place for it, but I don't know where else to put it...

Anyway, seeing all the Sam/Jack threads for different types of fics (good idea!), I thought maybe we should make threads for gen and other pairings? Are anyone interested?

I suggest these categories:

Team fics (or maybe the team fic thread already existing can be used here?)
                Alien influence fics
                apocafics
                Fixit fics
                Holiday fics
                Family fics
                kid/pregnancy fics
                stranded off-world
                wedding fics
                AU fics (complete AUs)
                AR fics (divergence fics)

Other categories?

Also, I was thinking the threads would be for gen fics, as well as for all pairings, except for Sam/Jack, since they already have their own threads (and probably way more fic than others anyway). Does anyone have problems with this? We could also make separate threads for various fairly popular pairings, like Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet, Jack/Daniel, Vala/Daniel,... but I would suggest those not be split in categories.

What do people think?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                  This is probably not the right place for it, but I don't know where else to put it...

Anyway, seeing all the Sam/Jack threads for different types of fics (good idea!), I thought maybe we should make threads for gen and other pairings? Are anyone interested?

I suggest these categories:

Team fics (or maybe the team fic thread already existing can be used here?)
                  Alien influence fics
                  apocafics
                  Fixit fics
                  Holiday fics
                  Family fics
                  kid/pregnancy fics
                  stranded off-world
                  wedding fics
                  AU fics (complete AUs)
                  AR fics (divergence fics)

Other categories?

Also, I was thinking the threads would be for gen fics, as well as for all pairings, except for Sam/Jack, since they already have their own threads (and probably way more fic than others anyway). Does anyone have problems with this? We could also make separate threads for various fairly popular pairings, like Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet, Jack/Daniel, Vala/Daniel,... but I would suggest those not be split in categories.

What do people think?
                  I only read S/J fic so I won't be of any help to you, but I do think it's a great idea. Especially if, once all (S/J and your suggestions) lists have been more or less worked out, we can get one sticky at the top of the forum with links to all the lists in case the threads drop after a while.

I'm not sure about how popular Tok'ra fic are but I could definitely see Tok'ra versions of the suggested lists if there's enough interest for it. Right now all you have is a rec thread, right? We also had just that one for Sam and Jack but now we've got about a dozen lists for different categories. Difference between the rec thread and the lists is that the latter are more a collection, rather than a recommendation (meaning some might be horribly written, which one usually wouldn't recommend to others).

If there aren't as much Tok'ra fics you could always make one thread and using different posts for different pairings/categories. The same could be done if you just make the threads for the categories you've listed, but divide the entries under separate posts for team, gen, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet, Jack/Daniel, Vala/Daniel, Sam/Cam, Vala/Cam etc.

Just some suggestions. Good luck with it!
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm very willing to help collect links for threads for gen and various pairings fics. I only read Tok'ra fic, so I would only be able to list links for those fics.

No idea on how to divide it up - I agree on the categories, and maybe you would want separate threads for some of the more popular pairings, but I have no idea which ones are most popular. I can see there are a fair amount of Daniel/Vala stories on fanfiction.net, so those might be good to get their own thread, at least for some categories? Same goes for Jack/Daniel.

Maybe Tok'ra stories could be separated out as well, but I don't know. I do know that there is about 400 fics on Symbiotica, and probably about the same number or maybe a few more, on fanfiction.net. Heliopolis and AO3 has some as well, as does Livejournal. There is overlap, of course, but I would estimate that there are maybe 800-1000 Tok'ra fics. Not all of those are good, but as fems said, these threads would be a list of some of those fics as well.

I would estimate that maybe 50% of the Tok'ra stories are mainly Sam/Martouf/Lantash, if not more.

Yes, we definitely need a sticky-post with links for all these threads - both the gen, Sam/Jack, and other ship ones. That would be great, and very useful.
                    sigpic
                    Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

I think lists are a waste of space. They either fall so far down the list of topics that newbies can't find them, or they obscure the new threads.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I can certainly see those problems, Seaboe Muffinchucker. Such lists will only work if they are all collected in a main post that is made a sticky, and if there are many threads they take up space from all other threads (though that is presumably a temporary problem, since most fics will be added early, and then only a few from time to time, I guess?)

Anyway, if Skadi and I are the only ones interested in making lists for gen and other pairings fics, then maybe we should just do it over email. What do you say, Skadi? Then we could always post the results when we get them done, and then if anyone is interested they can add to them at that point. That also stop us from spamming the fanfic area with threads about fics that probably very very few are interested in.
                        sigpic

Comment

When it comes to SG-1 I only read Sam-centric fic, but if anyone was interested in making lists for SGA, I'd happily help (I've read quite a lot of various pairings and gen in SGA).

Does SGU fic even exist?

ETA: Actually, I have read some good gen SG-1 fics (focused on Jack and Team, for the most part). I've also read some good Jack/Daniel, although I am not sure slash fic is allowed to be recced here. So maybe I could contribute a little to SG-1 lists as well.
                          Last edited by Raelis; 25 October 2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

When it comes to SG-1 I only read Sam-centric fic, but if anyone was interested in making lists for SGA, I'd happily help (I've read quite a lot of various pairings and gen in SGA).

Does SGU fic even exist?

ETA: Actually, I have read some good gen SG-1 fics (focused on Jack and Team, for the most part). I've also read some good Jack/Daniel, although I am not sure slash fic is allowed to be recced here. So maybe I could contribute a little to SG-1 lists as well.
                            I mostly read Sam-centric fic too - and Tok'ra and Goa'uld fic. I also read a little bit of SGA fic, mostly with Sheppard since he is my favourite SGA character.

I think I have seen a very few SGU fics, but not very many.

As for what can be recced - I think all fics can, but if they are R or NC-17, you can't link directly to the fic.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's up! The master list, that is. So, if you're managing a list and want to make sure it's part of the master list, head on over and post it. Please remember, the master list is just that: links to where the lists actually live. None of the posts on the master list should link directly to fics. (If anyone has a list they want to add but they don't actually want to add it themselves, I'm happy to do so, just PM me your text and coding and I'll take care of it.)

The thread will be closed by a mod in the coming days. Conversational responses on that thread may be removed so the thread stays clean. As always, submissions for any category can be made at the individual lists (please don't make those submissions at the master list as they'll likely get missed and/or removed before the list managers can attend to them.

Big thanks to everyone who's been a part of getting this all together. It's been a big project but it's been worth it!
                              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
                                I'm very willing to help collect links for threads for gen and various pairings fics. I only read Tok'ra fic, so I would only be able to list links for those fics.

No idea on how to divide it up - I agree on the categories, and maybe you would want separate threads for some of the more popular pairings, but I have no idea which ones are most popular. I can see there are a fair amount of Daniel/Vala stories on fanfiction.net, so those might be good to get their own thread, at least for some categories? Same goes for Jack/Daniel.

Maybe Tok'ra stories could be separated out as well, but I don't know. I do know that there is about 400 fics on Symbiotica, and probably about the same number or maybe a few more, on fanfiction.net. Heliopolis and AO3 has some as well, as does Livejournal. There is overlap, of course, but I would estimate that there are maybe 800-1000 Tok'ra fics. Not all of those are good, but as fems said, these threads would be a list of some of those fics as well.

I would estimate that maybe 50% of the Tok'ra stories are mainly Sam/Martouf/Lantash, if not more.

Yes, we definitely need a sticky-post with links for all these threads - both the gen, Sam/Jack, and other ship ones. That would be great, and very useful.
                                I've made a masterlist for 'other teams' and also one for 'other pairings', I'm probably going to re-organise them but yeah if you want to check them out.
                                sigpic
                                McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                                Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                                ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X