Captain

Default Re: Fanfic Recommendations

The Mei stories are cross-overs.

Mei and Uncle Jack

Mei and the Anomaly

Seaboe

Umm... I'll have to get back to you on that

I don't have any specific stories in mind but I'm looking for some Jack fic recs... where they focus on is his strength, leadership, and/or warrior-like qualities and on those qualities being put to the test.

I just recently read what's been published (it's not complete, yet) for Jack the Spartan by avidgokufan. Upon entering a new world, Jack and team are captured by descendants of the Spartans. Becoming a Spartan was not on Jack's "To Do" list. Unfortunately, he isn't given much of a choice. And no one makes new friends and enemies like Jack O'Neill.

After reading that I'm just hoping to find some more of that nature... thanks
    Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Glasgow, Scotland, Centre of the Universe

SGR Ragnarok by Sealurk is moving again, the next chapter is up and it's awesome! Give it a read!

385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    The Mei stories are cross-overs.

Mei and Uncle Jack

Mei and the Anomaly

Seaboe
    Thanks. I actually did read these a while ago and enjoyed them. Any other recs along the crossover stories?

are we aloud to promote our own work here? if so click my signature it has 4 stories and more on the way

Staff Sergeant

where is your signature?
    wait for your stories

my signature is at the bottem of my post under the picture of the two 304's and the first stories are my first but am currently making sure the next stories are better then the ones before it

Captain

I was re-reading Charli Booker last night, and would like to recommend her This Nest of Sparrows series. She gives Jack a housekeeper and tells some between (second season) episode stories from the housekeeper's POV. I wish there were more.

Seaboe

Probie

Does anybody know if ELG ever wrote a sequel to Into the Labyrinth (she says it was part of the Angels and Mazes series, supposed to be at least two)?

Anybody know ant good Daniel Sha're FF. I just read Invocation at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/adult/view...=326&warning=4 And really enjoyed it.
    I guess I've been in the mood for reading about what I call Stargate's First couple. I will probably write some AU fic for them myself soon.

Fun fan fic . Check it out at stargatenexus.com or on FF.net

First Lieutenant

This is probably a strange request... but could someone please recommend a fic (SG-1, SGA or SGU, ship, slash, and gen will be fine) with intellignetly written and believable technobabble? What I mean is I want to see Sam/Rodney/Radek/Bill Lee/whoever be smart. Truly smart. I don't really need 'true-to-life' science, but I'd like to see some thought given to 'technobabble'. Oh, and fic does not have to be completely scientifically focused. Even if it has just a short but very well-written piece of dialogue which will make me believe that our resident geniuses are indeed geniuses,it will be perfect. For example, Sam saves the day with her smarts, like she often does on the show. Or Rodney and Radek bickering about propulsion or sublight engines or something...

I just find this particular aspect often ignored or sidelined in fic. I understand why - it's not easy to write. But I would like to see it nonetheless.

So, any recs?

Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar

If you like, I can offer you some links to relevant chapters/passages in my current rather long fic where Sam goes off into technobabble that actually explains some things well enough that I've gotten compliments on how they were written...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    If you like, I can offer you some links to relevant chapters/passages in my current rather long fic where Sam goes off into technobabble that actually explains some things well enough that I've gotten compliments on how they were written...
    Sure, I'd like that!

Okay, here are some links for you. Note that some involve actual dialogue about the technology and/or science involved, while others are more a matter of Sam's observations and internal thought processes as she works on research. Some are also a mixture of the two.

This is the link to the main overall story, which is the same one that is currently advertised in my signature. It's long, it's a work-in-progress, but it is completely outlined and mapped out on my hard drive so it IS a coherent whole. Quite a number of chapters are already published, and as I polish and finalize new ones, they get added.

The last several paragraphs of this chapter show Sam explaining to Hammond what she thinks actually happened regarding the wormhole connection between the SGC and P3W-451's wormhole when the bomb went off near the end of the episode "A Matter of Time".

The whole first half of this chapter involves SG-1 engaging in some brainwork, but about halfway down the page there's a particular scene in which Sam explains certain elements of wormhole theory and function to Daniel.

The second half of this chapter involves Sam running a modeling program on the computer that theoretically should map out the behavior of the wormhole when it disconnected from P3W-451 and explain why the connection jumped to P2A-870. The problem is that it isn't giving her answers that fit the expected parameters, and she's trying to figure out why.

Here's Sam again, still puzzling her way through the anomalous results of the modeling program, trying to decipher how the wormhole managed to do something that shouldn't have been possible. This scene takes up the entire chapter.

I hope you enjoy these!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

First Lieutenant

Thank you very much! I'm lookign forward to reading these. Oh, and "A Matter of Time" is one of my favorite SG-1 episodes (I have always been fascinated by the black holes!), so it's even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelis View Post
    Thank you very much! I'm lookign forward to reading these. Oh, and "A Matter of Time" is one of my favorite SG-1 episodes (I have always been fascinated by the black holes!), so it's even cooler.
    Oh, sweet! Then you'll probably enjoy the story as a whole. My characterization of Frank Cromwell is that he's kind of an analytical guy too... enjoys science as a layman, and tries to apply that view to whatever he encounters, when he can.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

First Lieutenant

I'm in the mood for some doom and gloom, so I have this question: what are the very best apocafic stories in the Stargate fandom, in your opinion? Gen/any pairing will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelis View Post
    I'm in the mood for some doom and gloom, so I have this question: what are the very best apocafic stories in the Stargate fandom, in your opinion? Gen/any pairing will be fine.
    I mostly read Tok'ra fic, and the only two that comes to mind right now that are apocafics are

The Petri Dish. PG-13. The last surviving members of SGC, as well as three Tok'ra, and a few Jaffa flee the advancing Ori forces. This is the story of their experiences. Takes place around SGA season 4, before the Ark of Truth. No pairings.

Deep Trouble. Goes AU from "In the Line of Duty". When Apophis returned with his ships to take his revenge on the Tau'ri, the only option was escape. Exiled on another planet with a minimum amount of supplies and allies, the plan is still to take back Earth. The only hitch? Their best chance at beating the Goa'uld is a Goa'uld, specifically a rebel named Jolinar who has taken Sam as a host. With Jolinar's allegiance uncertain, she must win over the trust of the Tau'ri and their leaders before she can return to the Tok'ra to forge an alliance that could change the galaxy. Minor Sam/Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash. Completed NC-17 version on ArchiveofourOwn (Author link: http://archiveofourown.org/users/roeskva/pseuds/roeskva), PG-13 version not yet completed on Fanfiction.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8370803/1/Deep_Trouble

Hm, but there are some listings of Apocafics that I saw somewhere, and I think Stargate Fic recs on Livejournal have some. Checking...

Earth-shattering Kaboom: Stargate Apocafic recs: http://infanity.ficlaundering.com/kaboom/

Stargate fic recs on Livejournal, the tag apocafic: http://stargateficrec.livejournal.com/tag/apocafic

Tags apocalypse and Stargate SG-1 combined, on AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query[text]=&query[tag]=%22Stargate+SG-1%22+apocalypse&query[title]=&query[author]=&query[words]=&query[hits]=&query[date]=&query[language]=

First Lieutenant

Thank you very much, Hathor_girl! Lots of very interesting recs; this sure will keep me occupied for quite some time!