X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dart Board Project - Cardboard Model Of a Wraith Dart

Hey gang!

Boredom makes one do rather weird and interesting stuff. So earlier today, while being bored out of my mind, i decided it would be cool to make a model of a wraith dart out of cardboard. I actually brought this subject up in one of the Wraith threads awhile ago, and someone affectionately named my project "the Dart Board." So here's the Dart board in it's entirety:

I actually designed the display stand first: Original Display Stand.

After some thought and a redesign, i settled upon a different display stand. Final Display Stand. I will be using two of these, as i designed the model to be free standing. And obviously one display stand won't work out too well.

Once the display stand was designed, i started throwing around som ideas for the actual Dart itself. So i came up with this: Early Concept Design For the Dart Board. Pretty atrocious looking, huh?

So i sat back and thought of a better design. It came to me while watching "The Storm" (SGA: Season 1) on dvd. It just came, and kept coming, until i had the designs i ended up with now.

Essentially, there's a base frame that attaches to the Display frame. Base frame. The front end of the base frame is here. I couldn't get the whole base frame onto the scanner at once, so i scanned it in two parts.

Next come the cover frames. The Rear Cover Frame and the The Front Cover Frame. The cover frames will have be drawn on to make the Dart "look like a Dart."

To attach the Cover Frames to the Base Frame, I devised a clever set of inserts that are attached to slots on both sets of frames. The Inserts for Attaching the Frames together. The base frame contains the slots where the display stand is attached to the frame itself.

As you peruse the pics, you'll even see my chicken scratch and even the guide lines sketched onto the designs. You'll also note the references to the Inserts. Insert 1 attaches the Rear Cover Frame to the Base Frame. Insert 2 attaches the Front Cover Frame to the base frame. The Display Stand slots are for the notches at the top of the Final Display Stand, where the Dart is attached to the Display Stand.

So now all i have to do is actually build the Dart. To do that, i will need to procure the cardboard stock as well as an Exacto-knife (as a standard razor blade or box cutter won't do for the precision i will be needing). There's an art supply store not too far from home that can probably handle all the my supply needs. I won't be using standard corrugated cardboard (the kind that boxes are made of - with the wavy layer in the center), but heavy duty paper/card board stock. It's fairly resilient, and will hold up well to the rigors of the Dart Board construction phase.

So there you have it. A bored Gater with nothing better to do than build a Wraith Dart out of Cardboard.

More pics and updates will follow as the project continues.

Thanks for stopping in!

Looks good, are these pics just pans or are they templates of some kind.

I wonder if it's not better to make it out of very thick card rather than corrigated cardboard. Or the type of stuff that cerial boxes are made of. It would be lighter, unless this thing is going to be large. How large is it going to be?

Good luck though, can't wait to see the outcome

I'm sorry but I can't resist with that name:
    "One hundred and eighty!!"
    srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

This could turn into a huge project: A stargate armada! assign various gateheads, various ships! could be fun! or just a bit disturbing.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

This could turn into a huge project: A stargate armada! assign various gateheads, various ships! could be fun! or just a bit disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by srg
          Looks good, are these pics just pans or are they templates of some kind.

I wonder if it's not better to make it out of very thick card rather than corrigated cardboard. Or the type of stuff that cerial boxes are made of. It would be lighter, unless this thing is going to be large. How large is it going to be?
          The pics i made are the actual design templates I'll be using to cut out the parts from the cardboard stock. And they are also the actual size, too. (Each major part is about the size of an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper. So it'll be fairly big. As for the cardboard stock, the art supply store sells all sorts of stuff, but i've only been there a few times. I'll have to look more closely the next time i stop in. I plan on using heavy paperboard. Standard corrugated cardboard won't cut it for this project.

When i'm ready to cut out the parts, i'll make copies of the design templates, cut them out, tape them to the cardboard stock, and then cut out the shapes. From there, i'll measure and transfer all the relevant design markings from the templates to the cardboard stock.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
            The pics i made are the actual design templates I'll be using to cut out the parts from the cardboard stock. And they are also the actual size, too. (Each major part is about the size of an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper. So it'll be fairly big. As for the cardboard stock, the art supply store sells all sorts of stuff, but i've only been there a few times. I'll have to look more closely the next time i stop in. I plan on using heavy paperboard. Standard corrugated cardboard won't cut it for this project.

When i'm ready to cut out the parts, i'll make copies of the design templates, cut them out, tape them to the cardboard stock, and then cut out the shapes. From there, i'll measure and transfer all the relevant design markings from the templates to the cardboard stock.
            When doing the cutting, I'd recommend that you also use a self healing mat. Any cuts you accidentally make that go a bit deep into the mat will seal automatically (very wraithey of them hehe)
            srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by srg
              When doing the cutting, I'd recommend that you also use a self healing mat. Any cuts you accidentally make that go a bit deep into the mat will seal automatically (very wraithey of them hehe)
              Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. I was gonna use the old cutting board we no longer use from the kitchen.

Comment

I'd like to see what it looks like.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

So would I. Please post pics when you're finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    So would I. Please post pics when you're finished.
                    yeah, you should. they are going to look very sweet when they are done.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'll definitely post pics of the Dart when it's done. By no means will it look exactly like a Dart from the show (it's only cardboard, after all), but hopefully i can make it look somewhat authentic. As time goes on, i might even bcome up with an improved Design, and use that. But for now, what i showed you is essentially the current design scheme for the Dart.

Comment

Hey gang:

An update.

I've acquired the paperboard stock for the Dartboard project. w00tness!

I chose two intial grades: Standard paperboard, and a finer quality double-thick matte board (matte board is the stiff, paperboard backing some paintings are mounted on). I'm thinking of first building the initial out out of the standard paperboard. Once i get that version complete, i may refine and change the design rebuild the dart using the matte board.

I also acquired an eXacto-knife and a few different types of blades, just in case a different blade can make a cut better than the standard blade.

I'll have more pics as the project progresses.

Comment

An Update: Tonight i cut out the two display stands and the Base Frame. Assembling them, they turned out pretty cool. Pics will be up soon, as i'm waiting for my friend to return my digital camera. When i get pics, they'll be here for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            lol there would be scale isues for capital ships though

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

I'm going to go with disturbing TJ
                              The Advertisements MGM never wants you to see!!

Comment

Working...
                              X