Clear All

Pittsburg Tribune Review: 'Stargate Atlantis':

From the Pittsburg Tribune Review:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_203600.html

'Stargate Atlantis': Great spinoff of successful series

By Laura Urbani
    FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, July 16, 2004

Sci Fi Channel's "Stargate SG-1" has quietly become one of the most popular dramas on cable television. The show is the top series for Sci Fi and for all hourlong syndicated shows since 2001, according to the cable network.
    Entering its eighth season, "Stargate SG-1's" popularity is finally being confirmed with its first spinoff series. "Stargate Atlantis" continues "Stargate SG-1's" serious look at human relations and political rivalries.

Although fans of "Stargate SG-1" will have an advantage, viewers will be able to follow the new series without previous knowledge of all the alien factions that are located beyond the stargates.

The series, which was based on the movie "Stargate" starring Kurt Russell and James Spader, follows a modern-day military program that remains a secret to most of the world. The U.S. government sponsors scientific expeditions to other galaxies through a portal called a Stargate. By dialing a specific address, scientists and soldiers can step through a gate and enter a new world. The show heavily relies on Egyptian mythology for the alien races. While "SG-1" soldiers continue to come back to Earth after short expeditions, the crew for "Atlantis" will face a more-extended mission.

"Atlantis" features the serious Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson), who received her credibility with the original Stargate team as a diplomat and director of the specialized Air Force unit. Weir was chosen by the U.S. president to monitor Stargate outposts, including the post located in Antarctica. While there, scientists

discover the remnants of a lost city that was home to the Ancients. The Ancients are the aliens who created the Stargate system to allow inter-galaxy travel. Among the ruins, evidence is located that leads Weir to believe that the lost city of Atlantis is not a myth. Instead of being submerged under an ocean on Earth, the submerged city was actually located in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Weir begs permission to lead a team through the Stargate to the farthest known galaxy. The distance is so great, that the team will only have enough power to travel one way. They face the possibility of never returning home.

"The benefit to humanity is far greater than the risk," Weir says.

Weir's team consists of scientists and soldiers. She handpicks Maj. John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) to help lead the troops to the new galaxy.

Sheppard, while one of the best pilots, has a bit of an attitude problem. He doesn't like to follow the strict military command structure. Because he was also unaware that the Stargate system existed, Sheppard is surprised when Weir requests that he join the mission.

"You realize I can get us in all kinds of trouble," he tells Weir.

Sheppard has no idea what trouble is until he steps through the gate. The team finds the command center of Atlantis, which is protected by a force field that prevents the city from being washed away as it sits on the bottom of the ocean. Once the humans begin searching the deserted city, their presence begins to drain the city's power, shrinking the force field until water starts bursting through.

Sheppard and Col. Marshall Sumner (guest star Robert Patrick, "X-Files") lead a small force through the gate to find a safer place for the team within the Pegasus Galaxy. They discover a friendly nomadic people and their worst nightmare. The team stumbles upon the feeding grounds for the frightening Wraith. The Wraith, which resemble a cross between vampires and rocker Marilyn Manson, feed upon humans to maintain their energy. They rule the galaxy and are desperate to find new feeding grounds.

The team finds itself stranded in a strange galaxy, in a dying city and facing a formidable foe.

"Stargate Atlantis" cleverly mixes humor with action and political intrigue. With a spinoff this good, "Stargate SG-1" may become the next TV franchise, following in the steps of "Law & Order" and "CSI."

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

"Stargate Atlantis" cleverly mixes humor with action and political intrigue. With a spinoff this good, "Stargate SG-1" may become the next TV franchise, following in the steps of "Law & Order" and "CSI."

That bothers me...

L&O has about 3/4 spinoffs all the same.
    CSI has 2/3 signoffs all the same.

Let's hope this does not continue for Atlantis.
    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Yay! A good review finally . . . ::hugs Atlantis:: I'll save you from those mean critics . . .

But I share your reservations David . . . it would not be good to have lots of junk spinoffs ala L&O or CSI - but then that's network TV and those spinoffs always suck.

~Sarah
      Call me Sarah . . .
      • Anti-plaid (pro P.L.A.I.D. )
      • Songwriter, screencapper, canon shipper, and fan of minor characters
      • Trek forever!

Comment

Excuse me, but did anyone notice the date of the review?

Friday, July 16, 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
          Excuse me, but did anyone notice the date of the review?

Friday, July 16, 2004.
          Yup, old news, and it's Pittsburgh with an "H"

Comment

I see someone has been searching the archive of the GateWorld Forum
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X