This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateworld forum is not a blog

I know that the OT section is a place for us to relax and let off steam, but I think there's a difference between posting a bit of silliness and posting every little thought that comes into your heads... and making separate threads for each and every one of them.

Now, I know that Gateworld is full of friends and everyone loves to share with friends. It's one of the reasons I have my Sulky Thread. HOWEVER, I try and contain all my stuff in the ONE thread instead of making thirty separate threads for every silly thing that flits across my mind. One thread is easier for me, it's easier for my friends, and it's very easy to ignore for all the countless thousands who don't give a damn.

I also have a blog for stuff that's irrelevant or inappropriate on Gateworld. It comes in very handy and I tend to keep it fairly updated most of the time. There's a much greater freedom of expression in my own personal space than there is here on Gateworld (as lovely as it is) and it's so EASY to do.

If you find the idea of a blog absolutely abhorrent, is it at LEAST possible to try and limit all the intimate, personal details of your life to ONE thread? Yeah, OT is a free for all, and I know I have no right to tell folks what they can and can't post or where they can post it (although it's very tempting to tell folks where to put it *g*), but in the long run it's easier. I mean, seriously, how many people REALLY want to know about the incredible-looking booger you found in your nose? Or that you've decided to take up underwater basket weaving? Probably not a lot of people really care. But your friends (and the morbidly curious) might... and it's easier for them if they can subscribe to ONE thread and follow the rolling carnival of your life all in one place than to be running all over OT-dom to find everything. It'll also be a relief to all the others who AREN'T interested in this stuff since they might actually be able to find threads they'll like without having to wade through all the personal chaff. And c'mon, no one gets any prizes for having the most threads started in a single section.

Sorry if some of you think I'm being tactless about this, but this has been grating on my nerves for a while and I've started to see complaints from others who say it grates on THEIR nerves, so I figured I'd start a thread about it and see what happens.

i agree with you there, theres off topic then theres just plain spam. i'm begining to find it hard to find interesting topics, as most are just like announcements that members have made. they take up too much space!

Comment

I disagree if people want to make multiple threads let them its not like they are doing it to up their post count

If they were breaking the rules the mods would have taken action
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
        I disagree if people want to make multiple threads let them its not like they are doing it to up their post count

It's not really about the rules so much as it's about courtesy.

Personally, I could care less. But it is a waste of effort to start so many threads when one will suffice. You (general you) won't be harmed if you combine all of your thoughts/life changes/whatever into a single thread that you and those interested can enjoy. However, it is in fact rather annoying to some people when you do make a ton of mini-threads. For the sake of consideration and peacefulness, it's just a better idea to keep everything in one thread.

Do people have the privilege to start a ton of threads on every minor part of their life? Yes. Should they do so? Considering the circumstances, I'd say no.
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim

So you have no problem with people cutting in line? There's no law that says new arrivals HAVE to stand at the end of the line.

Comment

and whats wrong with a little 3rd or even 4th faction spam!?
            I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
            so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
            But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
            Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
            GW My home away from home....
            My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
              So you have no problem with people cutting in line? There's no law that says new arrivals HAVE to stand at the end of the line.
              That not a very good analogy the anology would be the guy who insists on shouting everything out so everyone can hear instead of just the people nearby
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

For those interested in getting a REAL blog, here are some good providers:

LiveJournal- popular blogging site

Blogger- another blogging site, and the one that's associated with the official GW bloggers (Joe, Rainbow, Ivon, etc)

MySpace- This is a site that's all about YOU, YOU, YOU. And there's a built-in blog feature as well.

Comment

There are very few major spammers, (probably me but i havent started a massive amount of threads since i took a break from the forum) If the mods think we have a problem they will sort it out.
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                    There are very few major spammers, (probably me but i havent started a massive amount of threads since i took a break from the forum) If the mods think we have a problem they will sort it out.
                    They aren't breaking the rules of the board, they're just... tactless and lacking in common courtesy. But that's a judgement call, and what I see as being a stupid waste of space, others see as the vital distribution of information. And vice versa, of course. lol.

There may only be a few people who are (by my definition, anyway) spamming outrageously, but they still manage to occupy a lot of space.

And keep in mind that I'm not saying people shouldn't post this stuff (although I do really question SOME of the subjects), I just think that everyone might be better served if all these intimate little details were confined to a single thread (per individual) instead of wasting fifteen separate threads talking about yourself.

This isn't a mod issue, it's a user issue. I believe that someone started a thread a while back discussing how people needed to be more polite and respectful to each other. I simply think that one way to respect your fellow posters is to not try and hog the OT forum talking about YOU, YOUR life, YOUR stressors, YOUR interests, YOUR daily rituals and what YOU found up YOUR nose.

Why have fifteen different threads for that where one will do?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      They aren't breaking the rules of the board, they're just... tactless and lacking in common courtesy. But that's a judgement call, and what I see as being a stupid waste of space, others see as the vital distribution of information. And vice versa, of course. lol.
                      Yep what you see as a stupid waste of space some people think the same about some of your threads its all relative
                      There may only be a few people who are (by my definition, anyway) spamming outrageously, but they still manage to occupy a lot of space.
                      Occupy space? Most of the threads you talk about drop off the first page and disappear into oblivion pretty quickly
                      And keep in mind that I'm not saying people shouldn't post this stuff (although I do really question SOME of the subjects), I just think that everyone might be better served if all these intimate little details were confined to a single thread (per individual) instead of wasting fifteen separate threads talking about yourself.
                      Theres nothing wrong with exploring yourself and what better way to do it than to let others join in
                      This isn't a mod issue, it's a user issue. I believe that someone started a thread a while back discussing how people needed to be more polite and respectful to each other. I simply think that one way to respect your fellow posters is to not try and hog the OT forum talking about YOU, YOUR life, YOUR stressors, YOUR interests, YOUR daily rituals and what YOU found up YOUR nose.

Why have fifteen different threads for that where one will do?
                      I would say a way of being polite and respectful would be to leave people alone and let them enjoy themselves

Just because you dont find what they found up there nose interesting doesnt mean it doesnt deserve its own thread

Why have 15 different brands of ketchup when one will do

It is our uniqueness and the expression of that uniqueness that defines us as a person
                      love Torri

Comment

If you were to have a christmas party, and you invited oh say ten people, and one of them decided to start talking about work, but you don't want them to talk about work, you want them to talk about work, it is a christmas party, you want them to talk about christmas. Well that isn't really fair, people can talk about whatever they want, so you tell the people who want to talk about work to go into another room, and to keep each room focused on a single conversation. Then later you see that there are people all over the house, you get angry because you don't want them all over the house, so you get angry, but how can you get angry if you have already told them to go to seperate rooms for seperate conversations. You can't have your cake and eat it too...

Now, in real life those are terrible manners, and likely no one would do that, but on the internet, it is reasonable and even logical. So if GateWorld provides its members with an off topic section, where users can talk about anything, and you give them the ability to create their own threads, how can you tell them to not post so many threads? It is a public form, if you don't want them to post threads you can remove that ability, even only for that section, but no, in my opinion, you can't ask people to not post threads for different topics, or as many threads. Actually, this is what people are supposed to do, create new threads for different subjects instead of dragging other threads off topic.

Besides, who is it really hurting? Sure, it might be harder to find threads, but you can always subscribe to them, or save the urls in your favourites. I don't see why it is necessary to possibly offend people because you think there are too many threads. Live and let live. Pay it forward.

Owen Macri

Comment

I agree threads shouldn't just consist of a thought a second, but I've hardly seen that happen so it can't be bad enough a problem to discuss it. I could be wrong however. And if a rando thread is made, usually it's shoved back to the GW thread graveyard within a few hours, unless someone is really bored and searching for stuff. The popular threads usualy keep a firm place on the first or 2nd pages so, I don't see any harm. Plus the mods can always purge them.

I'm still going to make my annual New Years thread at the end of the year and yakk yakk yakk resolutions and crappy party food to my hearts content.
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

You have the freedom to create as many topics you want anywhere you want (that fit within the standards of the section you're going after), but just because you have that freedom doesn't mean you should necessarily exercise it. There are approximately 8,000 active members on this Forum, and if everyone was submitting a new idea at once it would simply be impossible to participate.

When creating new threads, please keep in mind of the atmosphere you are submitting the thread, and show respect to your fellow forum members for not posting threads that only you and three others would be interested in. Your topic should benefit a very reasonable number or the entire community.

The mods are constantly trying to come up with ways to lesson the number of diverse topics so that there can be some form of cohesion. If there are backpack threads for everyone down to Vernon Sharpe, the average user has a hell of a time finding things, and woe be the less-than-average user.

Instead of making a New Years thread for each and every year, how about making a single New Years thread? Or a single backpack thread? I know that when some folks's birthdays come around (mine included) they regularly dig up the old thread and continue that one.

You have to realize that in the long run you are damning yourself by creating more to sift through. When the search feature is disabled, and it sometimes is, you're just lost. I know I am.

So it comes down to a simple question. Are you going to serve yourself or serve others? Are you going to help the community make the board more cohesive and navigable, or are you going to let your paint brush run free and clutter away?

With a potential of 12,000, cut us a break and excercise your restraint.

That is not at all to say that creating new threads is wrong. Not at ALL. But let's try and rationalize what warrents a new thread and what would be more suited on a pre-existing thread. Using existing threads, after all, is not a curse.

Comment

Thank you David.

From my internet experience, people need to be even more aware of the "other person" and how your actions can effect others. While some courtesies are written (i.e. picture sizes in consideration of dial-up users) others are unwritten. I think everyone should try accessing the forum at least once using dial-up and try to find things. You (general you) would have more appreciation to those unwritten courtesies.
                              No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X