X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
    While watching the hive i noticed that
    Spoiler:
    the daedalus was able to use the beaming technology for a while, until the wraith noticed their presence and activated the jammer. This would mean that the wraith don't fly around with the jammer activated. If I'm right that would mean that the daedalus (if a cloak was wired up to it) could be invisible going up to the ships (until the ships are close enough to beam onto) and beam a nuke aboard

What are your thoughts?
    The impression I got was that there were coordinates put in place but when Hermy tried to beam the nuke it just wouldn't work, otherwise the nuke would have moved a bit already which I doubt it did and the jam happened just as Hermy tried to activate the beam.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
      I pretty much just use the term coilgun/railgun interchangeably, especially considering most people tend to know what you're talking about better when you just say "railgun". I am aware of the differences however.

To expand on my original idea for the bombers what I'd probably want to do would be make inertia work for me.

Basically I build my bomber with an emphasis on 2 things, bomb payload and engines.

The idea would be that I'd launch the bomber from farther away allowing it time to accelerate to extremly high speeds.

It would fly straight at it's target like this in an "attack" run and then release its missiles at a given point and "peel off". Waiting longer to release the bombs would increase the chances of a hit but also place the bomber at more risk of being shot down.

In general though the main idea is that the bombs will still be carrying all of the speed of the bomber when they detach, plus whatever speed their own engines will add. The end result should hopefully be a projectile that's way to fast to intercept, carry's a pretty significant amount of kinetic energy and stands a pretty good chance of penetrating a Wraith ships hull on impact before exploding it's nuclear charge to gut said Wraith ship's interior.

If I could build roughly alkesh sized bombers with their own hyperdrives this ship would far outclass anything the Wraith have tabled so far. It could strike from lightyears off with it's FTL bombers and never be found or retaliated against by those it was attacking. I don't think bombers that big would fit on the Daedalus though.
      I don't think it would either, though you could probably fit something the size of a teltak in there, which is more in line with what I'm thinking. You wouldn't really need much in the way of a hyperdrive. Enough to jump a few million miles would probably be sufficient for the mothership to stand off, much like an aircraft carrier today.

There's really no NEED for a ship the size of an alkesh though. Well, not unless you're trying to build something the equivalent of the B-1 or whatever. For the type of attack you're referring to, a smaller, faster ship with a few large weapons would probably be a better bet. Basically a large (even slightly oversized) fighter. A) It would almost certainly be more manuverable than a larger ship like you're proposing B) it's small enough to fit into the hangar bays of our existing ships without taking up TOO much room C) it's larger size should allow it to be fit with a shield generator which would GREATLY enhance survivability D) it may be able to use a short-range hyperdrive using something like a Mk2 naquada generator or two. Not enough to go between star systems (which I'm sure was the original design plan for the F302), but maybe enough to shorten trips between planets. Alternatively it might be large enough to fit a small buffer to use a naquadria generator to power things. E) it should be able to handle a larger weapons payload.

If you think about it, that sort of a design would be PERFECT for the type of attack role that you're proposing since the better manuverability would help it avoid defenders and the shield even more so.

Comment

Truthfully I'd probably want both. The idea behind the alkesh sized bombers is a simple one. Full scale hyperdrive. The smaller bombers would be useful as well however because you could carry/launch more of them and they'd probably be faster and more manuverable at sublight like you pointed out. Getting back to the big boys though.

How uttery screwed would an enemy hiveship/ha'tak/whatever be if it was getting picked on by bombers that were as fast or almost as fast it was and had come from a mothership lord only knows how many hundreds of lightyears away. All they could hope to do would be shoot down the bombers but they'd never even know where the carrier was let alone be able to engage it. If you really want to be an a**hole about it to you could get a cloaking device for the carrier on top of the massive stand off range.

Also if you could co-ordinate the long range bomber flights with some sort of AWACS type sensor ship of similar size that would look for victims via long range sensors the carrier would be able to make an utter joke out of the entire method of combat in the gateverse not just the individual ships.

Comment

Man it'd suck (for our enemies) if the Tauri were to bring they method of warfar full scale to the universe at large wouldn't it? We have gotten entirely too good at it. Given even remotely equivalent tech and time to build up our forces I daresay we'd mop the floor with just about any other race in the galaxy.

Yeah, I mean that's just vicious, especially with the cloaking device and the AWACS patrols (they would, of course, HAVE to be equipped with Asgard or Ancient derived sensors).

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
            This is not going to work in a real life scenario. Ships don't just explode like dominos or the barrells in Doom
            Spoiler:
            yes I'm talking about you "the Hive"
            . Defending a culling is just going to get the Daedalus blown up by the hiveship launching the Darts.

You can kill hordes of darts at once but you're going to need nuclear warheads to do it. Even if you pull that off though it's not going to help you. It's not the darts that are going to mash up the Daedalus, it's the ship that launched them. Wraith darts are so plentiful and reletively harmless to big ships like the D that killing them is pretty pointless.

One thing I'm surprised we haven't seen yet though is the Wraith using the scooper beam on their darts set to "remove enemy hull".

It would be absolutely devestating for a dart to make a high velocity pass on an enemy ship like this. Just turn the beam on, fly close, and take a huge long gash out of the enemy hull with that dematerializer beam. There shouldn't really be anything stopping them from doing this other than defence shields. If they can take apart and beam up people there's no reason to think they couldn't do the same with metal. It's all made of the same stuff at that level afterall.

One pass won't kill a big ship necessarily but a whole swarm of darts doing it to one enemy capship would be like a swarm of piranhas ripping it apart. After a few moments od frenzied scooping there would be literally nothing left of the enemy ship except maybe a hollowed out husk if they stopped a bit early.
            Two words: shut up.

That's a sound tactic. It's the same as asking why people don't use missiles equipped with hyperdrives to de dropped inside a ship and go boom.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

If you had great big naquada missiles with hyperdrives you wouldn't even need a big spacefleet. Just a few ships here and there with big sensor suites, a big base on the dark side of moon... and more hyperdrive missiles than your enemies have ships.

Comment

Working...
              X