No announcement yet.

Grace Under Pressure (214)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the issue of Rodney character development v. developing everyone else: I love Rodney and will probably never turn down an opportunity to see Rodney character development. When I say that, I mean real development, like the trust issues they played on in this episode, not just random Rodney screen-time (although that's alright too! ).

That said, I agree with those who wish the writers would catch a clue and start developing some of the other characters. I want more Teyla, I want more Weir, and we need more Shep. I forsee some Carson development at the end of this season; maybe we'll get to see some of the main characters fleshed out in Season 3.

-------

Moving on.

McKay's initial reaction to Carter-hallucination was priceless. Absolutely priceless. "romping"? There are no words.

We got to see more of how Radek reacts in a crisis, and I liked it. Very calm, steady, in control. It's a nice contrast to Rodney's "We're doomed! (insert doom song here) style. I also love that he went with John to save the day, it just *fit* onscreen.
    I also have to say that David Nykl does the "thinking, thinking, got it!" facial expression very well. It adds a lot to his scenes in this ep.

John in control, problem-solving, organizing the rescue effort? I loved it. I love how he knew who he needed to call and what exactly they could offer the effort. Showed that he was keeping up with his position as one of the mission leaders.

John calling McKay "buddy" with that warm friendship-y voice made me happy.

John and Zelenka helping Rodney into the jumper also made me happy.

I love how quickly he covered up his hallucination. Makes me wonder if he'll actually tell anyone or just keep his crazy subconcious to himself.

The lack of a post-rescue infirmary scene where Rodney explains the hallucination (or conveniently forgets to mention them) kind of annoyed me. Not strictly necessary, but the ep could have used the closure.

All in all, a pretty good ep. Lacking in things to add to the greater plot arc, but that's okay; I prefer one-offs. I've been adamantly against any full SG-1/SGA crossover, but I can't help but want to see McKay see Carter again, and the awkwardness there.
    They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
    Spoiler:
    Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      I believe this episode was written by Martin Gero...

Okay, now I'm loosing it. I swear, I looked at the episode info just the other day and it had Carl Binder as writer, it was one of the reasons I was leery of it.

*sigh*

Well, it's a good thing then, he'll get another shot from me, because I'm trying hard to keep an open mind with this guy since I did love Aurora, it's one of my fav. episodes of this season, but I did NOT like Condemned and Hive at all, which were two of his.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
        If you figure out the deal...please let me know. They've got a fab set up to take Shep anywhere. Joe is good enough to do anything with Shep. What is the mystery. My other wonder is..where is the promise to show us ATLANTIS? I know nothing more about it either. Shep has the gene, is supposed to be special we're in ATLANTIS and the show is supposed to be about ATLANTIS but I'm not getting anything about Atlantis. Or the lead character. Supposed lead. I'm starting to believe TPTB intended to turn SGA into the Sam and Rodney hour all along. LOL

But..the special effects were still neat in this ep, as always and I did get my Shep and Zelenka moments. I guess I'll have to settle for crumbs.

You know, I scrolled up backwards from where I made a post and was reading this, nodding, saying yep yep...then I see who wrote it, doh! Of course it's you, we agree on almost everything when it comes to this!!!
        sigpic

Comment

looking at all these posts here on this thread, and I've noticed one thing, no one has mentioned the absence of Beckett, Teyla, and Ronan in the episode.

Odds say, this has been mentioned in a previous post here, and I missed it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
            looking at all these posts here on this thread, and I've noticed one thing, no one has mentioned the absence of Beckett, Teyla, and Ronan in the episode.
            Odds say, this has been mentioned in a previous post here, and I missed it.
            I mentioned it in post #30, and I thought that after that it was mentioned again one or two times by some people.

EDIT: I've read about thirty reviews of this ep now here and on LJ, and it seems that many people think that Ronon, Teyla and Carson wouldn't have fit into the episode and they were thankful that they didn't make an appearance.
            Well, personally I think it wouldn't have been that bad if they were in the ep, just to see that they are there, know what's going on and worry for their friend/colleague. And Carson could have delivered some medical background. I love it when the team sticks together in critical moments.
            But ok, this way the focus was more on Zelenka, that was also nice.

Bye, A.
            Last edited by Arlessiar; 13 December 2005, 04:34 PM. Reason: Addition
            ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
            ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

i thought it was a good ep a good Stand alone one which we haven't had many of this season its been alot of arc eps
              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                Okay, now I'm loosing it. I swear, I looked at the episode info just the other day and it had Carl Binder as writer, it was one of the reasons I was leery of it.

*sigh*

Well, it's a good thing then, he'll get another shot from me, because I'm trying hard to keep an open mind with this guy since I did love Aurora, it's one of my fav. episodes of this season, but I did NOT like Condemned and Hive at all, which were two of his.
                Didn't like Critical Mass, eh?
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

i thought it was a good ep a good Stand alone one which we haven't had many of this season its been alot of arc eps

sure there have been other eps that seemed stand alone but this one in no way involved ancents or the Wraith
                  Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                  sigpic

Comment

Decent episode... I found parts of it boring but the Carter thing was well thought up.

Comment

Hmmm...this ep was quite good but nothing spectacular. Critical Mass is still my fave out of the second half eps so far.

-I agree with Arlessiar; there didn't seem to be as much concern and tension on Atlantis as I would have assumed. The chief scientist of Atlantis, who has come up with numerous plans to save others in the past, is trapped underwater and they aren't sure where he is. I thought there would be lots of tension and people rushing from place to place. Instead everyone seemed to be casually strolling around and even joking and Shep seemed more excited in his crane idea than worried about Rodney. Just seemed off.

-I'm also disappointed that the ending was rather sudden and there was no time to see the others relieved at McKay's safe return.

-Could Shep really have ordered Zelenka to accompany him in the PJ? I assumed that the military had no power over civilians but Weir could certainly order him if she had to.

-Great episode for McKay. DH has such a range of emotions, from rage to joy to fear to hysteria. He's always a joy to watch.

-BUT, if you don't like McKay or if you prefer other characters then this probably won't be your favorite ep. No Teyla, Ronon, or Beckett and Weir has just a handful of lines. Rodney is my favorite character and I think DH really acts the hell out of anything he's given, but overall the episode seemed a bit off-balance. For comparison, Epiphany, which was a Shep-heavy ep, had a better team feel because lots of characters were involved.

-Last week I noted that the Athosian subplot seemed out of place on Critical Mass. Perhaps it should have been in GUP instead? It would have been an interesting contrast between Rodney fighting and choosing to live and Teyla's grannie deciding she's ready to die.

-I enjoyed seeing Carter and she has a great dynamic with Rodney, but I could have done without the fan service...

-The shot where Rodney had to dive underwater to release the hatch was very well done. Seeing as the entire underwater shot was continuous, I would imagine that the whole set was pulled up out of a water pool to make it look like the water was rushing out.

-The introduction of the alien whale was fun. I wonder what else lies in the water, and if it's predatory.

-I love Zelenka. As time goes on I'm starting to see him as a cross between Beckett with his calm head and reassuring manner and McKay with his biting Czech outbursts.

-Best line (from McKay, natch): "There's brilliant, and then there's me."

Comment

I liked it. Ok, I'm a big Sam and Amanda fan so that is one of the reasons why I enjoyed the episode but I though it was pretty good overall.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                        and Shep seemed more excited in his crane idea than worried about Rodney. Just seemed off.
                        Hmm, I'd change 'excited' to 'confident'

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                        -Could Shep really have ordered Zelenka to accompany him in the PJ? I assumed that the military had no power over civilians but Weir could certainly order him if she had to.
                        Well, I wouldn't put it past Shep to order Zelenka with the barrel of his gun if Zelenka had of kept pussy-footing around...

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                        To be completely honest, I didn't even notice the lack of the other leads... :| Which is kind of dissapointing, that they can write an episode without main characters and have viewers not notice them (and no, I don't believe that's due to the guest character in the episode)

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          To be completely honest, I didn't even notice the lack of the other leads... :| Which is kind of dissapointing, that they can write an episode without main characters and have viewers not notice them (and no, I don't believe that's due to the guest character in the episode)
                          True, When the episode airs on SciFi (which I plan to watch it), I wonder how many fans will actually notice that PM, RL, and JM didn't appear in the episode.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmmm...this ep was quite good but nothing spectacular. Critical Mass is still my fave out of the second half eps so far.

Basically agree (although I've watched Epiphany a lot more so far)

-I agree with Arlessiar; there didn't seem to be as much concern and tension on Atlantis as I would have assumed. The chief scientist of Atlantis, who has come up with numerous plans to save others in the past, is trapped underwater and they aren't sure where he is. I thought there would be lots of tension and people rushing from place to place. Instead everyone seemed to be casually strolling around and even joking and Shep seemed more excited in his crane idea than worried about Rodney. Just seemed off.

Yeah, they were all calm and collected but in reality it is sometimes like that and they were so sure there was someone to rescue (maybe they think that Rodney is indestructible!). However, both Zelenka and Sheppard definitely looked surprised when they opened up the jumper bay and Griffin was NOT there. I would have liked to have seen more worry, too.

-I'm also disappointed that the ending was rather sudden and there was no time to see the others relieved at McKay's safe return.

For someone who was freezing to death, etc . in the water, he should not have stood up immediately after sitting down. Geez, I went through ice on a pond once and it was no fun.

ER,I don't know, but Dr. Z was the only person who could really handle fixing the jumper. He's McKay's backup. Of course, he was so badly traumatized in last week's episode...

-Great episode for McKay. DH has such a range of emotions, from rage to joy to fear to hysteria. He's always a joy to watch.

Definitely.

-BUT, if you don't like McKay or if you prefer other characters then this probably won't be your favorite ep. No Teyla, Ronon, or Beckett and Weir has just a handful of lines. Rodney is my favorite character and I think DH really acts the hell out of anything he's given, but overall the episode seemed a bit off-balance. For comparison, Epiphany, which was a Shep-heavy ep, had a better team feel because lots of characters were involved.

McKay fans will have a ball; non-fan McKay fans may recoil. And yes, in Epiphany, there was a definite sense of urgency. I wonder if the sense of urgency wasn't so much there this time because perhaps they ASSUMED (tsk tsk) that the rear compartment had a LOT of air in it. How were they to know it was leaking and McKay was arguing with his pink-clad hallucination?

-The shot where Rodney had to dive underwater to release the hatch was very well done. Seeing as the entire underwater shot was continuous, I would imagine that the whole set was pulled up out of a water pool to make it look like the water was rushing out.

I would have rather seen him sucked out with the water and land at Shep's and Dr Z's feet, but then that's me (and that would also have been a lot of work).

-The introduction of the alien whale was fun. I wonder what else lies in the water, and if it's predatory.

About time we saw a fish! And hmm, I wonder if it's fish or mammal? THat deep? Well, another planet....

Overall, good episode but not great or fantastic. I have to watch it again to see precisely how McKay was manipulating his Sam (loved how he remarked aboaut her getting naked - then cracks open one eye to check) but he knows Sam well enough to know that ain't ever happening.

However, McKay got Sam to do something that nobody on Stargate has ever gotten her to do : Style her hair nicely! ANd I could wear the makeup was straight off the late Doc Fraiser.

And lastly, McKay's mind is a very scary place to be. Think he'll need a session with Heightmeyer after this!

Comment

I liked it, but i havent decided how much yet. It just that the last episode was so good, that it makes all others lesser by comparison.
                              It was funny, and entertaining, but not much else. So i guess it was a good one shot, when compared with other one shots.

I guess what im getting at, is that i have indecision issues and you should respect my problem!

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
                              DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                                Didn't like Critical Mass, eh?
                                *tossing hands up in the air and swearing* dang it...that's where I saw his name, I'm betting you - and (sheepishly I might add), I *did* like critical mass.

GAH!!!

But I positively...not hated...but felt cheated with Hive and Condemned.

This episode I just didn't like, because it should've been McKay and Sheppard down there.

I'm just really really starting to resent the lack of Sheppard. And I do like DH/McKay, a lot, but I also like Sheppard, and for being the leading man, he sure isn't getting used much at all.

But now this is going away from episode discussion.

There were parts I liked. I really did enjoy the episode up until the carter hallucination started. I have loved and enjoyed almost all of SG-1, so I've got nothing against Carter, but the s8 or was it 7, episode Grace was not good, the whole 'hallucinate friends' arc is just, it doesn't work for me at all...and after carter appeared it seemed to drag whereas before it seemed to run along well. I did love the opening scene with the red shirt guy and the crash, and then Sheppard with his choc/peanut butter...

But overall the episode went off for me when Carter appeared.

I like her on SG-1, but when I watch SGA, I want SGA...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X