No announcement yet.

Grace Under Pressure (214)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm amazed that no one has speculated on this yet, but what if McKay didnt hallucinate at all? What if Atlantis whales are sentient/telepathic beings and it was communicating with McKay by potraying itself as "Carter" and trying to stop him from doing stuff because it knew that help was coming? Remember that we heard from whale long time before we saw "Carter".
    We've seen stranger stuff happen in Stargate-series and it would be great way to give more depth to big oceans of Atlantis-planet.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
      About time we saw a fish! And hmm, I wonder if it's fish or mammal? THat deep? Well, another planet....
      Whales here on Earth can actually be very deep divers. They've actually developed adaptations to help them withstand the bends very well, and they actually have rib cages that collapse under the pressure since the air in their lungs contracts so much anyways.

I don't recall offhand how deep McKay was at the time, but it was somewhere below 1200 feet, right? Sperm whales typically hunt at 500-1000m (1640-3280 ft), but can dive considerably deeper than that. Even a little bottlenose dolphin has been recorded as diving to nearly 1800 ft under experimental conditions!
      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by tsn81
        I'm amazed that no one has speculated on this yet, but what if McKay didnt hallucinate at all? What if Atlantis whales are sentient/telepathic beings and it was communicating with McKay by potraying itself as "Carter" and trying to stop him from doing stuff because it knew that help was coming? Remember that we heard from whale long time before we saw "Carter".
        We've seen stranger stuff happen in Stargate-series and it would be great way to give more depth to big oceans of Atlantis-planet.
        Hahahaha, the whale! It's a very whacky (in a good way) and different spin.... I like it

Comment

Actually, that's a pretty neat idea. While I don't think that was what was happening in this case, it's something worth exploring. It's actually been theorized that dolphins can "paint" pictures for other dolphins using sound. Think about it - their world is very much based on sounds used in echolocation, which the brain translates into an image. If a dolphin could reproduce the train of clicks they receive when they echolocate an object, they could actually project that image to another dolphin.

Of course, the human brain has a horrible echolocation ability (try turning the lights off at night and making noise to try and find the location of objects around you!) but that's where the realm of science fiction (and the capability given to this particular species) really steps in...
          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by d3u5
            Zelenka's translation:

Do prdele, to je na hovno tohle to. Kdo to vymyslel, že budeme pod vodou, tentokrát...?

****, it's screwed up this. Who's idea was, we'll be under water, this time?

Edit: "****" is the "F-word"... )
            Oh thank you for that. I was with John though "I think my Czech (?) must be getting better". I love Zelenka in this episode and Rodney not only remembered his name but used his first name, now that is progress for Radek.

Just a few remarks...

I loved the Sam/Rodney interplay and it did feel like false Sam so that was good I wouldn't have wanted Rodney to be hallucinating and for her to be like "real" Sam because that wouldn't be in character for Rodney.

I liked the smushy stuff (well the kissing and hugging and... ) nice to see Rodney get some even if it is all in his head.

It wasn't as bad to the Sam character as I was dreading, I thought Rodney might have come off looking like a "real jerk" but instead I think we got a very human Rodney and I loved the fact that finally we see in black and white (no subtext) that he has trust issues if he can't even trust himself.

The plot was as thin as tissue paper but well how much plot can you really put into an episode based on this premise?

I loved John's character he really has that "leave no one behind" working for him it came off sounding sincere and not gun-ho or suicidal.

Dr Weir, well I did manage to watch without FF so that must say something, I thought her tease about the Puddle Jumper was miss-placed but that is a scripting thing.

I didn't get a sense of urgency in this episode that I think it needed, I did feel it from Rodney of course but not from Zelenka or the other Scientists and it did disappoint a little that Zelenka was so pessimistic, is that in character for him because he always seemed to counter Rodney's pessimism or so I thought.

I would have loved to see Rodney back on Atlantis afterwards I don't know why they never do that. They seem to always end the episodes in odd places IMO.

Oh and as fangirl, David Hewlett is a great actor and not a shred of self-consciousness about him I never once cringed which I thought I may have given it was Rodney all alone in his head. How David manages to take Rodney from snarky to whimpering in zero point one seconds I don't know.

Overall I it is not my favourite episode but that's O.K I did enjoy it and that was more than I did with last weeks and given what the rest of the Season may have instore it was nice to have a Rodney based episode that was about Rodney not about something or someone else, just Rodney.

Comment

Carter was hot.
              McKay was hilarious
              David Hewlett is (IMHO) the best actor in the two series.
              Zelenka was awesome
              Shepphard was acting very child-like, but in a good way (very excited). Loved "like chocolate and peanut butter".
              The whale was awesome
              The solution was awesome
              The episode was awesome

Comment

Telepathic whale physicists? You have an awesome imagination.. i'll give you that, but your idea is berserk.

The episode was good, and I think the Rodney development is good because SGA was supposed to be a science show, not a SG-1 like show, so the scientists should get the most character development.

Comment

Telepathic whales would be more a star trek thing. No offense to the treks, as im sure i would get roasted alive if i did, but those shows always had "expected the unexpected"... but after so long, the unexpected became, well.... expected.

Its the normal non-out-there solutions and ideas that are more 'interesting" these days. And personally i like it better this way. as if, it was actually happening, i could see it going down like this. thats the feeling i always get when watching gate, the feeling that if any of this stuff actually existed, i could see this stuff happening.

Anyway, i think i lost the topic again...
                  In conclusion (and personal opinion)
                  Hallucination = more cool and rational than super smart telepathic whales.

Ps, this is all with the exception of "home", which was very star trek in its ending...

-GH

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
                  DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

I did like how they mentioned Window of Opp. a few times, granted in the literal sense of it, but they knew they had a semi funny ep on their hands and threw that in there. Though i would have lowed them to mention it in duet.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                      -Last week I noted that the Athosian subplot seemed out of place on Critical Mass. Perhaps it should have been in GUP instead? It would have been an interesting contrast between Rodney fighting and choosing to live and Teyla's grannie deciding she's ready to die.
                      Totally agree with you on this, would have been a really awesome episode if they'd done it that way, but having said that, still enjoyed this episode, didn't feel the absent players needed to be there and I enjoyed the funny lines while understanding where they came from..

Comment

Can't believe that everyone isn't raving about finally exploring some more PJ capabilities !

We got to see that there are crystal panels hidden behind the seats (seems like there are panels for just about everything in that rear compartment). We also finally got a decent look at those computer screens Rodney is so fond of and got to see it from his POV (damn those tiny keyboards ) which was cool. I wonder if those are Ancient computers or Earth designed ones - they seem to be compatible with those weird PJ cords.

Also, we get to see the PJs underwater, which was really cool though i thought the windscreen cracked a bit too early (doesn't have a problem with space, but a 'mere' 1000 feet of pressure cracks it ?).

And finally, we get confirmation on the PJs shields. I'm glad the PTBs have stopped insisting on that stupid 'no PJ shields' idea. They make so much sense ; explains why sometimes PJs blow up from a single shot and other times can take a beating, it fits with the established Ancient obsession and skill with shields (not to mention that the Goa'uld cargo ships are vastly inferior but have both shields and cloaks).

Also, it makes so much sense in the Defiant One episode for PJs to have shields - the shield pops up after the Wraith has been fiddling with the PJs crystals (operating the system manually and thus not requiring the ATA gene), he activates it with a remote (just like the cloak remote) and it makes more sense than for the Wraith to be carrying around a shield generator.

Perhaps the fix for why Sheppard didn't realise there were shields before is that he assumed the Definant One shield was Wraith tech (they never said what happened to that jumper). Sheppard has probably already activated it subconciously before now (whenever they were uncloaked and he was thinking 'i hope we don't get hit'), but he isn't sure that he can simply think the shields into being and much prefers Radek to manually change the settings.

Comment

Hmm... It's hard for me to sum up my thoughts on this ep.

There was lots and lots of BRILLIANT McKay development, all in keeping with my own perception of the character and I loved seeing it... but at the same time, I really kinda wish they'd develp someone OTHER than Rodney. I mean, like I said, this ep didn't really show me anything new, it just showed me what I already knew/suspected. Again, fantastic stuff, but maybe not at this juncture?

The Sam/McKay stuff also came across awkwardly. I know some of it was probably because she was just his hallucination and all, but parts of it still felt contrived (or maybe TOO contrived) and it just didn't mesh as well as I wanted to. Blame the hypothermia, I guess. The initial scenes of Rodney panicking also went on a clip or two too long.

Also, I'd just like to point out that once again, going on a mission with Rodney has proven fatal to someone. Alas, poor Griffin.

I wanted more "city mobilizes to save McKay" stuff. He's so convinced that no one is smart enough to save him (and I suspect he thinks/thought no one would bother) that it would have been nice to see him proven wrong a little more thoroughly. Yeah, we get a brief scene of the scientists putting their heads together to narrow the search and Shep got the boys from the machine shop to cobble together a boiler tank- I mean, a puddle jumper that could go under water (sorry, wandered off to Surface for a minute), but I wanted MORE of that kind of stuff. And more of the nameless faceless people of the city coming together to save that petty, arrogant, not-good-with-people scientist. Oh, and of course, the Tea Service of Impending Doom from the Athosians.

I'm also on board with the "sick of hallucinations" thing. Don't get me wrong, I love Sam and all, but... I can't help thinking there might have been a better/smoother way to handle it than with a figment of McKay's warped imagination. What that something might be, I dunno. It's just a niggly little thing and it kinda ate at me all through the ep. I keep thinking, "maybe if it had just been a voice on the radio..." or something. Then it could tie in nicely with the whole whale communication idea. LOL!

I did wonder about that, actually, although I didn't think of it in terms of telepathy. Or look at the movie The Abyss- in the book, at least, the aliens communicated by manipulating molecues of water- they could get inside and look around a person's head without them knowing they were there. Something along those lines (although I realize the water didn't come until later). I just wonder if it's a coincidence that he didn't start to hallucinate until AFTER he heard the magmasaur- I mean, whale. But then, it was just useless plot filler and will never be mentioned again, so why bother wondering at all? *sigh* At least we know that SOMETHING is down there.

Oh, and WTF happened to the infirmary scene??! HELLO!! Obnoxiously abrupt way to end the episode, with that trite "goobye" wave thing. Gah! I needed more resolution/fallout, dammit! And a surprised Rodney exiting the jumper to a cheering crowd of people- all of whom helped to get him back- and he can see that they really DO care about him, in spite of his attitude and bad people skills.

There may be more later, but that's all I can come up with for now. It was interesting stuff, but nowhere NEAR as good as Duet, IMO. Or Siege 3.

Comment

whale pic made lighter..

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

...and greener...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                ...and greener...
                                Pffft. Night vision, obviously. Enhances ambient lighting. Or something...

Comment

Working...
                                X