Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345 67815 ... LastLast

Thread: Grace Under Pressure (214)

Default Re: Grace Under Pressure (214)

i thought it was a good ep a good Stand alone one which we haven't had many of this season its been alot of arc eps
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together

Default Re: Grace Under Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by IWantToBelieve
    Okay, now I'm loosing it. I swear, I looked at the episode info just the other day and it had Carl Binder as writer, it was one of the reasons I was leery of it.

*sigh*

Well, it's a good thing then, he'll get another shot from me, because I'm trying hard to keep an open mind with this guy since I did love Aurora, it's one of my fav. episodes of this season, but I did NOT like Condemned and Hive at all, which were two of his.
    Didn't like Critical Mass, eh?

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

i thought it was a good ep a good Stand alone one which we haven't had many of this season its been alot of arc eps

sure there have been other eps that seemed stand alone but this one in no way involved ancents or the Wraith
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together

Decent episode... I found parts of it boring but the Carter thing was well thought up.

Hmmm...this ep was quite good but nothing spectacular. Critical Mass is still my fave out of the second half eps so far.

-I agree with Arlessiar; there didn't seem to be as much concern and tension on Atlantis as I would have assumed. The chief scientist of Atlantis, who has come up with numerous plans to save others in the past, is trapped underwater and they aren't sure where he is. I thought there would be lots of tension and people rushing from place to place. Instead everyone seemed to be casually strolling around and even joking and Shep seemed more excited in his crane idea than worried about Rodney. Just seemed off.

-I'm also disappointed that the ending was rather sudden and there was no time to see the others relieved at McKay's safe return.

-Could Shep really have ordered Zelenka to accompany him in the PJ? I assumed that the military had no power over civilians but Weir could certainly order him if she had to.

-Great episode for McKay. DH has such a range of emotions, from rage to joy to fear to hysteria. He's always a joy to watch.

-BUT, if you don't like McKay or if you prefer other characters then this probably won't be your favorite ep. No Teyla, Ronon, or Beckett and Weir has just a handful of lines. Rodney is my favorite character and I think DH really acts the hell out of anything he's given, but overall the episode seemed a bit off-balance. For comparison, Epiphany, which was a Shep-heavy ep, had a better team feel because lots of characters were involved.

-Last week I noted that the Athosian subplot seemed out of place on Critical Mass. Perhaps it should have been in GUP instead? It would have been an interesting contrast between Rodney fighting and choosing to live and Teyla's grannie deciding she's ready to die.

-I enjoyed seeing Carter and she has a great dynamic with Rodney, but I could have done without the fan service...

-The shot where Rodney had to dive underwater to release the hatch was very well done. Seeing as the entire underwater shot was continuous, I would imagine that the whole set was pulled up out of a water pool to make it look like the water was rushing out.

-The introduction of the alien whale was fun. I wonder what else lies in the water, and if it's predatory.

-I love Zelenka. As time goes on I'm starting to see him as a cross between Beckett with his calm head and reassuring manner and McKay with his biting Czech outbursts.

-Best line (from McKay, natch): "There's brilliant, and then there's me."

I liked it. Ok, I'm a big Sam and Amanda fan so that is one of the reasons why I enjoyed the episode but I though it was pretty good overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOnFire
    and Shep seemed more excited in his crane idea than worried about Rodney. Just seemed off.
    Hmm, I'd change 'excited' to 'confident'

-Could Shep really have ordered Zelenka to accompany him in the PJ? I assumed that the military had no power over civilians but Weir could certainly order him if she had to.
    Well, I wouldn't put it past Shep to order Zelenka with the barrel of his gun if Zelenka had of kept pussy-footing around...

Quote Originally Posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
    looking at all these posts here on this thread, and I've noticed one thing, no one has mentioned the absence of Beckett, Teyla, and Ronan in the episode.
    To be completely honest, I didn't even notice the lack of the other leads... :| Which is kind of dissapointing, that they can write an episode without main characters and have viewers not notice them (and no, I don't believe that's due to the guest character in the episode)

Question Re: Grace Under Pressure (214)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark
    To be completely honest, I didn't even notice the lack of the other leads... :| Which is kind of dissapointing, that they can write an episode without main characters and have viewers not notice them (and no, I don't believe that's due to the guest character in the episode)
    True, When the episode airs on SciFi (which I plan to watch it), I wonder how many fans will actually notice that PM, RL, and JM didn't appear in the episode.

Hmmm...this ep was quite good but nothing spectacular. Critical Mass is still my fave out of the second half eps so far.

Basically agree (although I've watched Epiphany a lot more so far)

-I agree with Arlessiar; there didn't seem to be as much concern and tension on Atlantis as I would have assumed. The chief scientist of Atlantis, who has come up with numerous plans to save others in the past, is trapped underwater and they aren't sure where he is. I thought there would be lots of tension and people rushing from place to place. Instead everyone seemed to be casually strolling around and even joking and Shep seemed more excited in his crane idea than worried about Rodney. Just seemed off.

Yeah, they were all calm and collected but in reality it is sometimes like that and they were so sure there was someone to rescue (maybe they think that Rodney is indestructible!). However, both Zelenka and Sheppard definitely looked surprised when they opened up the jumper bay and Griffin was NOT there. I would have liked to have seen more worry, too.

-I'm also disappointed that the ending was rather sudden and there was no time to see the others relieved at McKay's safe return.

For someone who was freezing to death, etc . in the water, he should not have stood up immediately after sitting down. Geez, I went through ice on a pond once and it was no fun.

ER,I don't know, but Dr. Z was the only person who could really handle fixing the jumper. He's McKay's backup. Of course, he was so badly traumatized in last week's episode...

-Great episode for McKay. DH has such a range of emotions, from rage to joy to fear to hysteria. He's always a joy to watch.

Definitely.

-BUT, if you don't like McKay or if you prefer other characters then this probably won't be your favorite ep. No Teyla, Ronon, or Beckett and Weir has just a handful of lines. Rodney is my favorite character and I think DH really acts the hell out of anything he's given, but overall the episode seemed a bit off-balance. For comparison, Epiphany, which was a Shep-heavy ep, had a better team feel because lots of characters were involved.

McKay fans will have a ball; non-fan McKay fans may recoil. And yes, in Epiphany, there was a definite sense of urgency. I wonder if the sense of urgency wasn't so much there this time because perhaps they ASSUMED (tsk tsk) that the rear compartment had a LOT of air in it. How were they to know it was leaking and McKay was arguing with his pink-clad hallucination?

-The shot where Rodney had to dive underwater to release the hatch was very well done. Seeing as the entire underwater shot was continuous, I would imagine that the whole set was pulled up out of a water pool to make it look like the water was rushing out.

I would have rather seen him sucked out with the water and land at Shep's and Dr Z's feet, but then that's me (and that would also have been a lot of work).

-The introduction of the alien whale was fun. I wonder what else lies in the water, and if it's predatory.

About time we saw a fish! And hmm, I wonder if it's fish or mammal? THat deep? Well, another planet....

Overall, good episode but not great or fantastic. I have to watch it again to see precisely how McKay was manipulating his Sam (loved how he remarked aboaut her getting naked - then cracks open one eye to check) but he knows Sam well enough to know that ain't ever happening.

However, McKay got Sam to do something that nobody on Stargate has ever gotten her to do : Style her hair nicely! ANd I could wear the makeup was straight off the late Doc Fraiser.

And lastly, McKay's mind is a very scary place to be. Think he'll need a session with Heightmeyer after this!

Second Lieutenant

I liked it, but i havent decided how much yet. It just that the last episode was so good, that it makes all others lesser by comparison.
    It was funny, and entertaining, but not much else. So i guess it was a good one shot, when compared with other one shots.

I guess what im getting at, is that i have indecision issues and you should respect my problem!
    http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~bkesslr/M...hobe%20sig.jpg
    Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
    http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~bkesslr/M...opt_gir1_1.gifDOOOOOOOM!

Lieutenant Colonel IWantToBelieve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    Didn't like Critical Mass, eh?
    *tossing hands up in the air and swearing* dang it...that's where I saw his name, I'm betting you - and (sheepishly I might add), I *did* like critical mass.

GAH!!!

But I positively...not hated...but felt cheated with Hive and Condemned.

This episode I just didn't like, because it should've been McKay and Sheppard down there.

I'm just really really starting to resent the lack of Sheppard. And I do like DH/McKay, a lot, but I also like Sheppard, and for being the leading man, he sure isn't getting used much at all.

But now this is going away from episode discussion.

There were parts I liked. I really did enjoy the episode up until the carter hallucination started. I have loved and enjoyed almost all of SG-1, so I've got nothing against Carter, but the s8 or was it 7, episode Grace was not good, the whole 'hallucinate friends' arc is just, it doesn't work for me at all...and after carter appeared it seemed to drag whereas before it seemed to run along well. I did love the opening scene with the red shirt guy and the crash, and then Sheppard with his choc/peanut butter...

But overall the episode went off for me when Carter appeared.

I like her on SG-1, but when I watch SGA, I want SGA...
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/IWantToBelieve2/sigpics/sigpicboys1.jpg

I'm amazed that no one has speculated on this yet, but what if McKay didnt hallucinate at all? What if Atlantis whales are sentient/telepathic beings and it was communicating with McKay by potraying itself as "Carter" and trying to stop him from doing stuff because it knew that help was coming? Remember that we heard from whale long time before we saw "Carter".
    We've seen stranger stuff happen in Stargate-series and it would be great way to give more depth to big oceans of Atlantis-planet.

Quote Originally Posted by prion
    About time we saw a fish! And hmm, I wonder if it's fish or mammal? THat deep? Well, another planet....
    Whales here on Earth can actually be very deep divers. They've actually developed adaptations to help them withstand the bends very well, and they actually have rib cages that collapse under the pressure since the air in their lungs contracts so much anyways.

I don't recall offhand how deep McKay was at the time, but it was somewhere below 1200 feet, right? Sperm whales typically hunt at 500-1000m (1640-3280 ft), but can dive considerably deeper than that. Even a little bottlenose dolphin has been recorded as diving to nearly 1800 ft under experimental conditions!
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Quote Originally Posted by tsn81
    I'm amazed that no one has speculated on this yet, but what if McKay didnt hallucinate at all? What if Atlantis whales are sentient/telepathic beings and it was communicating with McKay by potraying itself as "Carter" and trying to stop him from doing stuff because it knew that help was coming? Remember that we heard from whale long time before we saw "Carter".
    We've seen stranger stuff happen in Stargate-series and it would be great way to give more depth to big oceans of Atlantis-planet.
    Hahahaha, the whale! It's a very whacky (in a good way) and different spin.... I like it

Actually, that's a pretty neat idea. While I don't think that was what was happening in this case, it's something worth exploring. It's actually been theorized that dolphins can "paint" pictures for other dolphins using sound. Think about it - their world is very much based on sounds used in echolocation, which the brain translates into an image. If a dolphin could reproduce the train of clicks they receive when they echolocate an object, they could actually project that image to another dolphin.

Of course, the human brain has a horrible echolocation ability (try turning the lights off at night and making noise to try and find the location of objects around you!) but that's where the realm of science fiction (and the capability given to this particular species) really steps in...
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Quote Originally Posted by d3u5
    Zelenka's translation:

Do prdele, to je na hovno tohle to. Kdo to vymyslel, že budeme pod vodou, tentokrát...?

****, it's screwed up this. Who's idea was, we'll be under water, this time?

Edit: "****" is the "F-word"... )
    Oh thank you for that. I was with John though "I think my Czech (?) must be getting better". I love Zelenka in this episode and Rodney not only remembered his name but used his first name, now that is progress for Radek.

Just a few remarks...

I loved the Sam/Rodney interplay and it did feel like false Sam so that was good I wouldn't have wanted Rodney to be hallucinating and for her to be like "real" Sam because that wouldn't be in character for Rodney.

I liked the smushy stuff (well the kissing and hugging and... ) nice to see Rodney get some even if it is all in his head.

It wasn't as bad to the Sam character as I was dreading, I thought Rodney might have come off looking like a "real jerk" but instead I think we got a very human Rodney and I loved the fact that finally we see in black and white (no subtext) that he has trust issues if he can't even trust himself.

The plot was as thin as tissue paper but well how much plot can you really put into an episode based on this premise?

I loved John's character he really has that "leave no one behind" working for him it came off sounding sincere and not gun-ho or suicidal.

Dr Weir, well I did manage to watch without FF so that must say something, I thought her tease about the Puddle Jumper was miss-placed but that is a scripting thing.

I didn't get a sense of urgency in this episode that I think it needed, I did feel it from Rodney of course but not from Zelenka or the other Scientists and it did disappoint a little that Zelenka was so pessimistic, is that in character for him because he always seemed to counter Rodney's pessimism or so I thought.

I would have loved to see Rodney back on Atlantis afterwards I don't know why they never do that. They seem to always end the episodes in odd places IMO.

Oh and as fangirl, David Hewlett is a great actor and not a shred of self-consciousness about him I never once cringed which I thought I may have given it was Rodney all alone in his head. How David manages to take Rodney from snarky to whimpering in zero point one seconds I don't know.

Overall I it is not my favourite episode but that's O.K I did enjoy it and that was more than I did with last weeks and given what the rest of the Season may have instore it was nice to have a Rodney based episode that was about Rodney not about something or someone else, just Rodney.

General

Carter was hot.
    McKay was hilarious
    David Hewlett is (IMHO) the best actor in the two series.
    Zelenka was awesome
    Shepphard was acting very child-like, but in a good way (very excited). Loved "like chocolate and peanut butter".
    The whale was awesome
    The solution was awesome
    The episode was awesome

Chief Master Sergeant

Telepathic whale physicists? You have an awesome imagination.. i'll give you that, but your idea is berserk.

The episode was good, and I think the Rodney development is good because SGA was supposed to be a science show, not a SG-1 like show, so the scientists should get the most character development.

Second Lieutenant

Telepathic whales would be more a star trek thing. No offense to the treks, as im sure i would get roasted alive if i did, but those shows always had "expected the unexpected"... but after so long, the unexpected became, well.... expected.

Its the normal non-out-there solutions and ideas that are more 'interesting" these days. And personally i like it better this way. as if, it was actually happening, i could see it going down like this. thats the feeling i always get when watching gate, the feeling that if any of this stuff actually existed, i could see this stuff happening.

Anyway, i think i lost the topic again...
    In conclusion (and personal opinion)
    Hallucination = more cool and rational than super smart telepathic whales.

Ps, this is all with the exception of "home", which was very star trek in its ending...

-GH
    http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~bkesslr/M...hobe%20sig.jpg
    Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
    http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~bkesslr/M...opt_gir1_1.gifDOOOOOOOM!

Second Lieutenant

I did like how they mentioned Window of Opp. a few times, granted in the literal sense of it, but they knew they had a semi funny ep on their hands and threw that in there. Though i would have lowed them to mention it in duet.

-Last week I noted that the Athosian subplot seemed out of place on Critical Mass. Perhaps it should have been in GUP instead? It would have been an interesting contrast between Rodney fighting and choosing to live and Teyla's grannie deciding she's ready to die.
    Totally agree with you on this, would have been a really awesome episode if they'd done it that way, but having said that, still enjoyed this episode, didn't feel the absent players needed to be there and I enjoyed the funny lines while understanding where they came from..