No announcement yet.

Epiphany (212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm... I kind of liked this one, but that's coming from a Weir fan. Not a perfect ep, by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoyed it.

-The Sheppard "Kirk" routine got old, but I'll give him credit for not ever really giving up on going home. It was always clear that while there was a mild attraction between the two of them, all he really wanted was to go home
    -Second, I think John definitely has some big abandonment issues, and I got the impression that there's a deeper reason for that somewhere in his past
    -It felt like the oher characters just didn't grasp the concept of why they had to hurry. I mean, to me, it's not exactly rocket science to figure that out. Weir and Beckett are very intelligent - why did Rodney have to spell out for them the fact that John could die of old age so soon?
    -"I have a date tomorrow night with Lt. Cadman!" "Oh, no, so we've only got twelve years in here!!" *hugs Rodney* Love that line!
    -I definitely loved seeing Elizabeth getting to join the action! I wish she got to do that more often.
    -The whole Beast defeat was really anti-climactic. I understand that their storyline had to be wrapped up... but it was just so boring to solve the Beast problem that way
    -"What is it with you and ascended women?" Once again, Rodney tells it like it is!
    -I loved the whole beard exchange between Weir and Sheppard at the end!
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I am very disappointed with this episode!

The worst thing of all is that they cheated us out of the stuff dealing with Shep's past. IMO, it was actually quite smart to let us hang for awhile not knowing where the main character comes from or what he experienced, resulting in the way he is now.

But honestly, now it's just downright annoying. Just from the pilot and LFP, we know more about ALL the main characters including recurring ones like Bates than we do about the leading character.

Anyway, I thought the episode was boring, the beast wasn't scary at all and I think they could have done a better job showing what life was like for John.

What I liked was that Sheppard stood up to the beast every time he was confronted with it and that he did get annoyed at the townspeople for abandoning him.
      He showed off his acting ability once again in acouple of scenes (and again, only with his eyes or expressions) like the meditating scene and some other ones where you could really see how much he misses Atlantis and the team.

I also think it's funny that Ronon seems to be very protective about Sheppard when he's not there. I think he really likes and respects him more than he lets on.

Overall, the plot was disappointing, but the epi had some great scenes.
      *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
        I loved the whole beard exchange between Weir and Sheppard at the end!

What beard exchange?? Elaborate!!

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
          What beard exchange?? Elaborate!!
          Weir: Well, the beard is... interesting.
          Sheppard: The first thing to go when we get home.

Comment

After how dissappointed I was in Hive, this episode made up for it. It was very insightful into Sheppard's character but you had to really watch and pick up on it, nothing was spelled out.

Pros: The way the writers portrayed the two different time zones. It was easy to feel how fast time was going for Shep while how slow it was going for the others. JF again delivers an amazing nuanced performance. He isn't an actor you can look away from, or you'll miss everything. The way his eyes move, his body langauge, the looks...it all comes together to deliver so much more than just his lines. Teyla continues to grow into her position and show why she's there. She's an asset to the team and her and Ronon play well off of Sheppard and McKay. There weren't any gaping plot holes this time. Beckett and Weir were wonderful for the time they had on screen. I really do love all the actors and characters on this show!

Cons: Okay, let's admit it, the plot is rehashed. It needed just that little bit more oomph to make it original enough to be reused. But, it wasn't so cliched that it was unenjoyable, so not a huge knock against it. The nice character insight, like someone else said, shows that Sheppard does have abadonment issues. If you missed it, watch it again, because it was a very poignant side of this episode. It alone makes up for the con of using an old plot mechanism like this. The beast's FX were kind of lame. They could've done a better beast. The ending was anticlimatic, but it does make sense. The beast didn't kill Sheppard both times and he said twice "I don't remember winning". The fact is, he didn't, and he couldn't. The defeat wasn't physical, and while it makes for anticlimatic screen time, it's a deeper answer to the problem at hand. The beast was their final hurdle, to face their fears, and that's why they were able to defeat it in the end and save Sheppard and the gang. Could've been written a little better to have not fallen so flat, but overall it doesn't ruin the episode.

The first half had a lot of intensity, the second half started to drift. Overall though, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5, because of the character development and great lines. MALP on a stick, that's got to become a classic.

And it is way overdue to find out more backstory on the main character for the show!
            sigpic

Comment

Conan And Xena!!!

Best.line.ever

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Can I just first point out how much I hate Movie Central for the inconvient time slots? C'mon, 11pm Monday night, and 5am Tuesday morning? Jeez. I got up at 5am to watch it!

The episode was pretty good. Humor good 'Conan and Xena'

I didn't like the ascending people. I found them to be a bit annoying. It's got that guy who was in Cor-ai and Demons. He just keeps showing up! And isn't that kid that annoying kid on Invasion? Ugh.

I didn't really like the woman who was hitting on Sheppard. Of course, they had to kiss. Bah.

Liked Rodney's comment though: "What is it with you and ascending women?"

But, I do have a cotinuity question though... How/when did Ronon get his sword back? He didn't have it with him at the end of The Hive. He had in in Lost Boys though. It was still on the ship when it blew up. Does he have a spare? He only had one with him in Runner

I felt a little cheated with 'the Beast'. Damn ascending people mind tricks!

Loved the 'MALP on a stick'. And 'Conan and Xena.' Ha.

Also, I thought John looked kind of hot with the beard. So there...

Now since I would usually only be getting up right now, I'm going to go see if I can watch an episode of Nip/Tuck before I go to school

Oh, what makes me sad is my mom saying to me that the show is getting boring... It's not getting boring, is it? I don't think it is...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Overall the episode was a bit flat. Wasn't bad, but not as good as some of the other episodes this season.

Some random thoughts about the episode:

It was interesting at the start of the episode to see McKay getting angry at Ronan when he was attempting to try and find out how to get Sheppard back (before he went back to the City). The body language from Ronan himself suggests that he doesn't actually get on too well with McKay at all. In fact it really did look like Ronan wanted to smack McKay in the face. Could lead to some interesting dynamics later on, with someone actually really disliking McKay (as opposed to the "Well he's annoying, but he's actually pretty good at what he does so that makes him ok" kinda attitude that alot of people have towards him)

The scene where Sheppard and girl kiss, my reaction was 'Shepwh0re powers - activate'
                  In fact a totally random thought, but could you imagine the devastation that would be brought upon the eligible bachelor and bachelorettes in the universe if Sheppard and Carter teamed up? I could imagine them after a hard week of 'saving' their respective galaxies relaxing in the bar...

Carter: So how many you get this week?
                  Shep: Two Ascended, one princess and a cheiftan's daughter.
                  Carter: Nice!
                  Shep: How about you?
                  Carter: Only one Ascended, but 2 from advanced societies and an ambassador.
                  Shep: Ah, good work. <raises glass> To saving the galaxy!
                  Carter: <clinks her own glass against his> To saving the galaxy!

Ahem, anyway...

This ep was pretty much a stand alone one, so no earth shattering revelations about anything. Not even any real character development.
                  One small thing though. The Ancients built the whole time dilation field thing so that humans (perhaps even themselves) could spend their lifetime devoted to following the path to Ascension without having to worry about the Wraith coming to eat them while they were trying to do it. Which seems a bit odd when you think about it - toes the line on the whole 'No interfering with a lesser beings natural ascension path' thing. And if the Ancients themselves used to help them ascend without the Wraith interfering, it seems like a bit of a cheap trick

Oh well, thats enough disjointed rambling from me

Comment

I was under the impression that the ancients built it themselves, so people who wanted to ascened could do so without wraith attack.

BTW, if they've been there for 10k years, how many years would that be "our time". Did anyone get the proper "conversion" and could do the maths?

I assume they had a regular family structure (well.. born, grow, have children, ascend)?

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife
                      I was under the impression that the ancients built it themselves, so people who wanted to ascened could do so without wraith attack.
                      Yeah, thats what I thought too. But still, the non-interference thing goes both ways - even though it was a benevolant act to give those humans a safe place to ascend from the Wraith, it's still intefering with what would otherwise be those humans normal ascension path.

Comment

Teyla said it was '250:1'

... Maybe this is wrong, but I got it as being 2,500,000 years...

Comment

I think the 250 to 1 is 250 minutes to 1 minute, since she only dipped that camera in for about a minute and definitely not an hour, and more than a second, I'd go with that one.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                            I think the 250 to 1 is 250 minutes to 1 minute, since she only dipped that camera in for about a minute and definitely not an hour, and more than a second, I'd go with that one.
                            She dipped the camera in for 3 seconds and got 12 minutes of footage.

So that would be 3:720 which would actually only be 1:240

Thus, it should be about 2,400,000 years... But that's probably still wrong. Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                              Teyla said it was '250:1'

... Maybe this is wrong, but I got it as being 2,500,000 years...
                              If 250 years in the Cloister are 1 year outside, then 10,000 years there are 40 outside, no?

Comment

Not a bad episode, really... but a little disappointing in that it had the opportunity to be great, and didn't take it. More character development - backstory gorramit! *shakes fist*

It feels like a lot was cut out of this episode - both big stuff, like actually finding out about Sheppard's past; and small stuff, like the fact that, as Carson says "part of his body [is] experiencing time at a different pace to the rest of him" (Shep makes a show of his hands bothering him in the cave, but otherwise it's just forgotten about). *crosses fingers in hopes of deleted scenes on the DVDs*

McKay just keeps getting better and better: his assorted snarking at Ronon and Teyla (or "Conan and Xena" *snicker*) was great fun, but he also seems to be growing as a person - his admissions that it was his mistake that got Shep stuck there in the first place, that he can't fly a 'jumper in a straight line, and that the sensor probe was actually Zelenka's idea show a growing willingness to accept his own imperfections. Again, DH totally rocks

Beyond that:
                                - Great performances all 'round, as usual.
                                - "MALP on a Stick", LMFAO (bonus, gaffer tape to the rescue! w00t!)
                                - Carson has a date with Cadman - awww! A nice little bit of continuity there, too.
                                - Shep's got some definate abandonment issues, poor diddums *hugs him*
                                - A nice bit of character development for Ronan and Teyla (Ronon is protective of Sheppard, and Teyla is good at math & logical in a crisis). Ronon is fast becoming more than the stereotypical "Big Warrior Guy", which is very nice to see.
                                - Good to see Weir offworld again, the girl needs to get out more.
                                - All I could think for half the episode was "Shep is wearing Ugg boots." I kept expecting him to reappear at the hut with a carton of milk, a loaf of bread and a copy of the Sunday Telegraph. *chants mantra "Shep is not a Westie, Shep is not a Westie, Shep is not a Westie..."*

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                                But, I do have a cotinuity question though... How/when did Ronon get his sword back? He didn't have it with him at the end of The Hive. He had in in Lost Boys though. It was still on the ship when it blew up. Does he have a spare? He only had one with him in Runner
                                Have to check screencaps to be sure, but I think it might be a different sword, since this one's missing the (*cough*rather girly*cough*) wraith-hair tassel, and seems to have... well... yellow gaffer tape... wrapped around the hilt. It's a damn nifty looking sword, nonetheless. If it is different, it begs the question, where did he get it? S-Mart? Armourers of Atlantis (purveyors of fine pointy things for over 10,000yrs)?

-- Cynicatlantis - home of BeanieLantis, and other such silliness --

Comment

Working...
                                X