Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
    would have worked out better of actually had used Joe's idea
    Yep, JF's version of Epiphany sounded really good.

Comment

This episode reminded me a Farscape episode "The Locket". In that episode of Farscape John Crichton and Aeyrn Sun land a planet , time passes and they get old meanwhile Moya ( their ship ) trapped at orbit and time is passing slower for Maya and its crew. While John and Aeyrn live years Moya experiences a few hours.
      Last edited by desert fox; 28 July 2006, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen the episode yet (they are only at Conversion here in syndication) but I've read the transcripts and there was something I couldn't figure out. If the place was suppose to be a safe haven for people trying to ascend why was the time dilation so fast? I mean time was passing for John so much faster than it was for Rodney, Ronon and Teyla but wouldn't you think that time in the place he was at would pass slower. Wouldn't that give the people there longer to reach an ascended state. Or was it just John that time was passing faster for?

Comment

Well, the idea is, suppose it takes you a month of subjective time to prepare yourself for ascension, but the Wraith might come to get you in a couple of days, you go through that entrance and time passes faster for you, so your subjective month or whatever is up before the Wraith get there and you have already ascended by the time they arrive.
          Hope this makes sense!
          Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
            Well, the idea is, suppose it takes you a month of subjective time to prepare yourself for ascension, but the Wraith might come to get you in a couple of days, you go through that entrance and time passes faster for you, so your subjective month or whatever is up before the Wraith get there and you have already ascended by the time they arrive.
            Hope this makes sense!
            So theoretically it's suppose to help you get there faster by speeding up the time? I thought that the people had already been there for hundreds (or thousands) of years already though. Of course I guess if they were talking about their time it probably only translates to several years of our time.

Okay, now I'm going to have to go back and read the transcripts again!!

Comment

No, to the inhabitants of the "safe haven", time seems normal, but to the outside world they are moving extremely fast. This means that the people in the time dilation field can attempt to ascend without the chance of the Wraith showing up because they would've already ascended in the time the Wraith touch down and go in by themselves.

It's like...speeding up the time within your room relative to the outside world. You could spend hours doing homework, only to realize that only a few minutes has passed outside your doors.

It's a way of getting things (ie. ascension) accomplish in a relatively short time.

Comment

I just realized, after watching Epiphany this past Sunday and reading many posts from this thread, that my local station skipped The Lost Boys and The Hive. (I kept wondering why everyone was talking about episodes that hadn't aired in syndication yet--thinking they were later in the timeline.) Ugh, now that makes four eps I haven't seen yet (Intruder and Runner too). But, as the loyal (read: obsessed/adoring) fan I am, I can't help myself! I may be confused, but at least I'm entertained!

When I saw the previews for Epiphany, I thought as many others, "Oh, SGA's version of A Hundred Days!" Since I rather liked that episode, it was OK with me, but I wondered if/how they would make it different.

Overall, it was a good show, but not a great show. There were lots of great lines, as quoted throughout this thread; the time-dilation idea gave the ep some sense of urgency. The Beast was kinda cool looking, and at first seemed tough, but just wishing it away at the end was a letdown.

There's been a lot of discussion about Sheppard's abandonment issues, and I'm not sure if that area of his personality is explored in the eps I haven't seen yet. I did sense his wonder/confusion and frustration in the cave scenes at being "abandoned," since he didn't realize time was moving slower on the other side.

As for him being there six months, I didn't get that sense from the montages and other scenes they showed, except maybe during the meditation scenes (at first sitting there bored, then seeming to meditate). I was waiting for Shep to start snoring too! LOL

Most of Shep's emotions seem to be expressed in his eyes (which are two of the nicest peepers on TV, IMHO) and maybe in his posture. While in the Sanctuary, even though he was trying to get home, feeling abandoned and yet a little frisky for Cute Chick, he seemed more relaxed and less guarded than usual. Maybe the meditation worked?

As for everyone else, I liked seeing Weir and Beckett off-world. I think McKay has learned just the teeeeeensiest bit of humility from Trinity in admitting the probe was Zalenka's idea. On the other hand, I think Beckett needs to get drunk w/ McKay and then smack the heck outta him for all of the insults Rodney's heaped on Carson just in this season! (Nice to see Beckett and Cadman are still together. )

As for the title, I epiphed (my friends and I made a verb out of 'epiphany' years ago) that the title came from the Ancients' sudden realization that they were letting their own fears hold them back from Ascension, represented by the Beast. (Maybe that's why only Shep got physically hurt by it?) It's not so much that Shep gave them the Great Knowledge of Earth Humans to Lead Them to Their Destiny (see many-a-Kirk monologue), but his presence and what of himself he did share (in the mental way!) was enough to push the Ancients that little extra bit they needed.

I did keep wondering why the Ancients didn't go get Shep from the cave--maybe it's part of their rules or something--especially since Cute Chick knew he was there. Also, I'm not sure I bought into CC's "Shep, you are my destiny" thing, but he's darn good looking (w/ or w/o beard), so I say go for it! LOL

Do you think Shep read any of the SG-1's records on Ascension and that, along with what he's learned in the Pegasus galaxy and his own personality, affected his decision whether or not to ascend? Or was it simply, as the scene was framed, he wanted to stay with Teyla and the other members of his team?

Finally, the Grand Theft ZPM picture earlier in this thread is friggin' hilarious!!! Love it!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I just epiphed!

The reason John's hand was hurting in one of the cave scenes (which was never referred to again in this episode) was because that was the same arm/hand that had the Ellia bite on it! Since the portal was meant to keep out the Wraith, then maybe the cells in his arm (or below the bite, in his hand) were in pain because of still existing bug cells.

Or did someone figure that out already?

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                  O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                    I just epiphed!

The reason John's hand was hurting in one of the cave scenes (which was never referred to again in this episode) was because that was the same arm/hand that had the Ellia bite on it! Since the portal was meant to keep out the Wraith, then maybe the cells in his arm (or below the bite, in his hand) were in pain because of still existing bug cells.

Or did someone figure that out already?
                    I do believe you may be the first person to have mentioned that one.

Comment

wow i didnt even realize that either
                      sigpic
                      Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by mckaychick View Post
                        wow i didnt even realize that either
                        Really, you didn't????
                        On fighting:
                        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I liked this episode, The idea of it when I first heard about it, was not something I thought would be great, thus not something that I was looking forward too. They episode felt like a mix of a few different episodes from SG1 but since it didn't suck I won't hold it against them this time

John Before reading this thread, I didn't think too much about John's abandonment issues but now I can see you guys have got a some points about him. I wonder if it's a issue that will ever truely be addressed or just hinted at? It did bug me while I was watching that John just thought they abandoned him. There could be 100 different reason the term couldn't get throw the doorway and it seemed a little immature that he'd think that. At the time I blamed it on the being fatigued but now... I also think he was a bit of a idea for going thought the doorway. They should have taken more time. He seemed very pushy to go through. They should have done more tests besides MALP on a stick but I guess that what the plot called for:\ I'm glad Rodney stood up and said "hey I made a mistake" but John also made the mistake. He is term leader, he should make sure about things like this; volunteering to go in yourself doesn't cut it in my books. I'm not trying to attcked John about this but I'm just saying it's more then just Rodney's fault.

I must say I'm loving the beard He looks hot like that. I loved John the night before the term came to get him; I couldn't stop laughing at the look on his face when she told him she for saw the night of passion they where about to have. Oh yeah John in the cave talking on the radio (talking to himself) and trying to shoot the door way, yelling "Good one, John! Shoot yourself!". I thought that was really well done. Actully this episode was really well accted by Joe Oh yeah John meditating was beyond funny; First time he looked competely board out of his mind, next time he looked asleep I bet he did actully do some meditating (took the first steps on that path but not many as steps as Daniel did when he first started lol).

I wish they had showed more of the relationship with John and the little girl. They seemed close but I wanted to see it and I wish she had said goodbye to him at the end. This episode like "The Hive" felt like too much jamed into one hour, the episode needed to be longer IMO.

Teyla I liked that they showed Teyla using her wits in this episode, she surspired Rodney lol. She a smart girl, I wish we saw it more often rather then seeing her int hebackground all the time.

Now onto Elizabeth. Her personal feelings really are getting inthe way of her leadership. She shouldn't have gone through, her reason to go through was crap. Atlantis losing it's leader isn't worth her going thorugh. IT felt more like a excuse then a reason for her to go through. Now I love Weir and the John/Weir ship but I'm not loving this. I know it must be really hard to set back at SGA while others risk there lives but Hammond and Jack where able to do it (I mean if Jack could do it she should be able too). She lucky Caldwall(sp) wasn't tehre, he's have a feild day with her. I think she does need someone to tell her "hey you shouldn't be doing this, we can't risk losing", Caldwall is the guy who does that but she he only makes her want to do things like that more. So he's really no help. I don't foult her for going off world but she just shouldn't have gone through the door way.

And finally Rodney. LOVED him in this episode. He was brilliant! Again he show cased his friendship and leadership. He was rude and jerk and tons of fun. I love when he takes charge of things. He admited his mistakes and gave credit to Zelenka and admiting he not a good ploit; something I think he really wishs he was. Also I loved the way he stood in front of Elizabeth with Carson. LOVED that

Also, as with Teyla the first time she saw, Ronon reaction to seeing the people ascend feel weak. I think both should have been more shocked and amazed. I mean it's suppose to be like nothign either of them have seen before...

So even though a lot of this post is whiny about thing i really enjoyed the episode

Things I found funny in this episode:

- Rodney asking for a branch and Ronon give him a log
                          - MALP on a stick
                          - John "meditating"
                          - John in the cave talking to himself
                          - Rodney calling Ronon and Teyla "Conan and Xena" thenthe tohers calling him on his remark lol
                          - John facing the Beast for the second time. "OK, but I’m warning you – I’ve got a knife!" then Teer joins him "Now there’s two of us!". I love the way Joe says those lines
                          - Elizabeth comment about the beard She might as well come out and said "John the beard freak'n HOT!

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                          Do you think Shep read any of the SG-1's records on Ascension and that, along with what he's learned in the Pegasus galaxy and his own personality, affected his decision whether or not to ascend? Or was it simply, as the scene was framed, he wanted to stay with Teyla and the other members of his team?
                          I think it's just a case of not being ready to to ascend. I think he still wants to work with his term (his job's not nearly enough done for him).Yes I think he missed them and I do think he knows what being ascended would mean (most likely from reading about it).

If he did a ascend I wonder how long he'd stay ascended lol. I can't see him seting by while the Ori do there thing
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm watching season 10 so if he was still around. It'd be OOC in my opinion if he didn't try to help them.
                          not to meantion helping Atlantis out with the Wraith and other prolems that may come up. So the others would stop him and down to earth.
                          Last edited by angelfire east; 24 December 2006, 12:55 AM.
                          Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

Originally posted by angelfire east View Post

Now onto Elizabeth. Her personal feelings really are getting inthe way of her leadership. She shouldn't have gone through, her reason to go through was crap. Atlantis losing it's leader isn't worth her going thorugh. IT felt more like a excuse then a reason for her to go through. Now I love Weir and the John/Weir ship but I'm not loving this. I know it must be really hard to set back at SGA while others risk there lives but Hammond and Jack where able to do it (I mean if Jack could do it she should be able too). She lucky Caldwall(sp) wasn't tehre, he's have a feild day with her. I think she does need someone to tell her "hey you shouldn't be doing this, we can't risk losing", Caldwall is the guy who does that but she he only makes her want to do things like that more. So he's really no help. I don't foult her for going off world but she just shouldn't have gone through the door way.

Things I found funny in this episode:

- Elizabeth comment about the beard She might as well come out and said "John the beard freak'n HOT!
                            I like the fact that they incorporated Elizabeth into an offworld expedition, but I agree, it totally messes with the image of her as a leader if she's running off on suicide missions [well, technically, missions that she has a high chance of not returning from, which has the same effect] because someone she cares about is stranded. I tried to overlook that, and the episode is rather enjoyable once I did, but still...the ostensible reason for her tagging along was her 'Ancient knowledge' expertise, but as compared to Daniel's easy translation, as though he's reeling off a line written in English, it was a little embarrassing seeing her using some program on her laptop or whatever, because really, anyone can read the translation a program provides, so that excuse was nothing. If they'd made her proficient in Ancient, it would have been more plausible. As it is, she looked a little dumb, pardon my bias. I'm too used to Daniel's linguistic brilliance to look kindly on other people's difficulty! But regardless of this, I did enjoy the rare Weir/Sheppard moments this script conniving offered, such as the above quote about the beard!
                            'I am frightened that the flame of hate will burn me
                            will scorch my pride, scar my heart
                            It will burn and I cannot put it out...'

Sig by Falcon Horus- thank you!

my LJ of squee *myspace of angst * my fic of random

My OTP forever, by Stef, who is awesome:
                            Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

Sorry if this have been brought up before but it's a technical detail that was just plain WRONG so I keep thinking that they should have just left these lines out:

Rodney: Are you sure it was three seconds?
                              Teyla: Yes
                              Rodney: and there was 12 minutes of video?
                              Teyla: Yes
                              Rodney: alright so it's a ratio of about uh...
                              Teyla: 250 to 1
                              That is wrong because Rodney said "well an hour would get us months in there" no, an hour would give him 10 days in there.

oy. I'm doing these calculations because I wanted to write a fanfic related to this episode.

If we go a scene a little later...

John: What the hell took you so long?
                              Elizabeth: Believe it or not you've only been gone a couple of hours.
                              John: Try 6 months!
                              by my calculations (and my arithmetic is always a little off) that means the ration is 2160 to 1!

the part of the episode that Teyla stick the camera in for 3 seconds, the camera says she recorded 37 minutes, not 12, which is a ration of 540, which is still more, but still not close enough.

Rodney also says that if it takes a week to 10 days to fix it he'll probably die of old age. with that 250 ration that means Shep died of old age in 6 years.

Now if we take my 2160:1 ratio, 10 days is 59 years, a little more realistic.

I dunno, I guess I'm a little irritated by these calculations, why not just leave them out of the episode if they're so off?

Is there anything in the DVD commentary about this? or in the companion book? Anything?

So, for my story, 5 years would be 20 hours, instead of 7 days.

Comment

Originally posted by nebulan View Post
                                Sorry if this have been brought up before but it's a technical detail that was just plain WRONG so I keep thinking that they should have just left these lines out:
                                snip..
                                So, for my story, 5 years would be 20 hours, instead of 7 days.
                                Good catch... And no, i dont know if they mentioned anything about this in the comentaries

Comment

Working...
                                X