No announcement yet.

The Hive (211)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the episodes of SGA I've watched more than once, if only to see McKay go even more hyper, if that's even possible?! Yes it was, can't help feeling exhausted just watching him fight the guards, as he dials the gate and arrives on Atlantis after taking the massive dose of enzyme.

I reckon he had a whole box of 'Timbits' (really sweet, yummy flavoured icing coated donut balls, an extremely addictive Canadian thing! ) before he started filming that scene, he seems to be quite partial to them....

This episode also has some of the funniest lines in it for me. Sheppard and his deadpan delivery of his fear of clowns was just one of those priceless Stargate humourous moments!

Comment

This was an ok episode. But the ending was awesome.

I honestly don't know if Ford died on that hive or managed to escape.

That Shep vs the Hives battle was awesome, the high point of this one. Along with Rodney high on adrenaline, and speed talking to Weir.

Tomorrow, possibly more Ancients.
      sigpic

Comment

A pretty good ep.

So this is where the Wraith brought in the new look stunners. Slimmer and boring.

Really liked the scene with the knives. Would be fun at airports indeed. And Rodney while dialling the dhd. He was so off his head. Made me laugh.

And omg Shep and the clowns. That was hilarious.

I liked when the Daedalus started firing on the Hive ships. The look of all those bullets flying at the Wraith was great. And when the darts started firing on each other. That was great too.
        sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to returning to Uni part time...another ep of Atlantis.

1. Had to love McKay hyper on the enzyme!

2. Ford had a point - even I knew Nera was dodgy first time out!

3. Bow did a great job here - pity we never really saw Ford again.

Very cool ep!
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The Hive

This second part of the two-parter serves a dual purpose; to continue the awesomeness that "The Lost Boys" provided while also proving a really satisfying conclusion to the whole thing. It also manages to take the serious subject matter and multiply it times three, providing some truly provocative stuff that rivals some of SGU. It isn't exactly portrayed in the style of that show but it does look eerily familiar to the point where some of it was the forerunner for that show alone.

One of the many serious things the episode deals with is drug withdrawal, what happens if you aren't able to get the enzyme; the effects have not been seen before and to see what actually happens is satisfying, it's like a revelation when it comes to the drug itself. There are varying effects depending on how long you took it, it effects people in different ways and in some cases, it can even kill you. This also allows for the actors to do some pretty decent portrayals of drug withdrawal patients; it's pretty scary really, to see them convincingly convulse in shock, try to move, feel the pain, question to themselves; almost surrealistic... These characters manage to sneak our way into our hearts and make us feel for them, connect with them on a whole another level, questioning whether they'll make it or not and what truly lies in their psych realm; even someone who's taken a lot of the enzime manages to showcase the worry and unclear thinking that comes from withdrawal, even managing to reflect in a past moment in the actor's life. It's clear that SGA is going deep and it pays off in the best way possible.

Truly going deep.

The Wraith are as creepy as ever and truly does this episode contain some tense stuff; the hive's shown here manage to feel fresh and new; scary, claustrophobic and unknown; who knows what will lurk around any corner as we watch our heroes roam through the hive trying to escape, a guy could come out, who knows? The lighting and detailing just enhance this and the stuff they encounter, the settings they go through; just make it even more creepy. The actual Wraith they encounter with really are scary; who wouldn't want to be face to face with one of them, especially the way they grab them, play mind tricks on them, interrogate them, they're truly menacing in every way of the word... There is somewhat of a downside to this, what we do learn about the Wraith here does make them somewhat similar to the Gou'ald (because now they have worshippers) and that's irky because the Wraith aren't supposed to be like the Gou'ald; having worshippers just makes them directly similar but that's forgiven by the revelation of the territorial stuff mentioned before. It gives a new side to the Wraith, something that should prove to flesh out their dynamic in the longterm. In episode terms though, it's exciting; seeing the mindgames layed out and all trust fade away, it fits the mood of the episode so well...

You know the action that was there in the first episode right, well it's here but there's even more of it and it's even more amped up then ever. Ford is still awesome and he manages to be even more awesome this time around, showcasing some fine choreography and kung-fu moves that ordinary people can never do in their lifetimes; the other crew do well, kicking as much butt as him and even getting into moments which are essential to the experience these episodes bring, even Rodney manages to jump into the fun when he gets all hopped up on Enzyme and becomes SuperMcKay though it's unfortunately short; you never see the crew trying to break out or even escaping in a tense environment, most of the time it just isn't there but with these types of episodes, you get to see the crew at their best; mixing in comedy, seriousness and just plain action in a way that only they can do. Not only does it appease sci-fi fans but it also shows the characters what they can truly do, what they're made of and in the most rare of cases, even grow them. These episodes are seemingly built for these characters to shine, it really showcases what the show can really do when it's given the right opportunity. I don't know how they do it but the point is, they do it and they do it well...

A beautiful battle in space.

There's even a space battle (which I feel are slightly responsible for Stargate's decline) that's beautiful as it is amazing; it helps that it's hectic, actually shows the behind the scenes of a culling and has those types of scenes which are short and get to the point. I do admit that no other show has managed to combine Star Trek like commanding with Star Wars like battles; seeing Sheppard pilot his ship reminded me of a montage in Star Wars Episode III, it had that energy, it had that visual flair and it had that excitement and seeing Cadwell command that ship, being the captain that he is as he thinks out his tactics and orders his commands reminds me of something that Captian Picard or Kirk would do; the fact that both manage to coexist and even contribute to the same episode is amazing in itself and possibly the thing that makes these space battles at least interesting; plus the visuals, the explosions, the stuff that's on the line and how caught up we get into these battles... We can't forget about the characters though, the brash Sheppard who manages to be sensible and romantic at times, Weir who manages to lead and care at the same time and Ford who's still friendly despite his brash attitude; every one of them manages to have flaws (acting wise) but every one of them manages to be exceptional, every one. There is no unique definitive moment amongst them (well, maybe Sheppard.) but that's a good thing because it shows that the characters are on the same page when it comes to episodes like this.

This episode is awesome, hell; both parts are awesome! This and "The Lost Boys" are definitely the best episodes of the season and I think by far the best two parter the show has ever had. People watching this episode will be taken back by the action, the serious situations, the Wraith and those who are fans of "Lost" will even appreciate the references in the two parts (I wonder if "Lost" responded back...) Ford is awesome, the characters are in tip-top shape; what more could I say to get you to watch this episode? They say that we would see Ford again but we never do, this appears to be his last appearance in the episode. Shame (especially considering his potential) but it's still a fantastic episode.

10/10
            Back from the grave.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
              Woah, Wraith worshippers, huh? Yikes...
              Great ending though, apart from the possibility of Ford not making it off the Hive.
              (Yeah, I'm still being slow...)
              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

The Lost Boys was boring. This is the exact opposite. What made the previous episode bad is what makes The Hive a great episode. With no exposition thanks to the previous episode the Hive go right into the action and that is what makes the episode so interesting. We get some nice new information like Wraith worshipers which makes sense. How many of us would do the Wraith's bidding if it meant that we wouldn't get killed by them? The religious aspect by the worshipper at the end made little sense but I still like the concept as well. Ah Ford you blow up on that Hive ship. I hate that comment by Shepphed giving a hint he may not be dead. After the end of 5 seasons it obvious he died on the Hive ship to give that hint is nothing but false hope. At the same time I was disappointed that we never saw the results of the enzyme. It just seems like a storyline that was dropped. A storyline that was not dropped and one I think is very important is the Wraith civil war. It was forshadowed in the Lost Boys and it was an interesting but predictible gamble by Sheppherd to cause the two Hive ships to fire on one another
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeah Ford apparently not making it out of the Hive Ship was kinda sad for me. It seemed there was a possibility that he was going to 'turn good' again. Unfortunate that Team Atlantis lost a capable and loyal member (before he OD'd on enzyme).

Comment

This was different. I liked McKay. But the Ford story seemed odd to me, I always thought he would come back, and that they found some cure for him.

Comment

This was a very good episode for me, not only did they give new information about the nasty effects of drugs (the enzyme side effects would be quite the anti-drug campaign wouldn't it?)
                      But they also gave very more insight into the wraith as a species with worshippers and such and ...O.o Whoah...LEFT feedingslit? What would this imply? Do they have feedingslits on both hands? Or do some grow them on their left hand just like some people write left and some write right? I like the tree commanders, Rocky, who sniffs Ronon (There's a very funny youtube vid to that), Eddie's sexy ass, and the fact that some wraith have sleeveless clothing, and Astor who invades personal space of Teyla. LOL Yes, I'm a fan, and this is certainly a very amusing and interesting episode for me. I just don't like the worshipper but I guess that's personal taste.
                      On your knees human!! *hiss*

Comment

This conclusion was a big let down after Lost Boys, which I had found very entertaining. I'm new to Atlantis but I've been watching episodes back-to-back and this is definitely a drop in quality since the beginning of S2.

For a supposedly big action episode, it moved incredibly slowly in places and had lots of filler scenes. I thought some of the scripting was really bad too. Sheppard's conversation with the girl who turned out to be the wraith worshiper was actually painful, to the point that I wanted to just skip it. I think this disappointed me more because I was just starting to really like his character (despite the fact that I still don't buy his incredible, and inexplicable, array of abilities).

And the plot holes? Don't get me started! I'm normally pretty good at suspending disbelief, but this episode felt so forced and unbelievable to me.

A definite setback for me in my enjoyment of Atlantis.
                        sigpic
                        sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed something when I was watching the episode this time. When the Wraith Worshiper curled up with John, she rested her hand in the same place on John's chest the Wraith put their hands when they feed. Wonder if that was part of what tipped him off.

Comment

As someone who has had a woman curl up and place her hand there, its not that unusual.

Comment

Yeah I didn't notice that Hand thing either at first.
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Yeah its always nice to have a lady put her hand....wait what are we talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X