This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Backlash??

Is it just me, or have there recently been a lot more negatively phrased articles about SG1/Atlantis?

A quick browse of the news and articles thread convinced me that there is some kind of backlash going on.

For example (thanks to Morjana for posting all these by the way):

SouthFlorida.com wrote the following:

http://www.southflorida.com/movies/...fe-tv-headlines

"The success of Stargate SG-1 has always been a head-scratcher. Really, there's little difference in storytelling or production quality between this show and, say, First Wave, Forever Knight, The PSI Factor, Andromeda or any of the other competent, made-in-Canada mediocrities that fill up the cable dial."

And later, in the article:

" an inventive mythology has never been the strongest element of the Stargate universe. "

May i just say.....WHAT THE? Mediocrities and Stargate in the same sentence? Stargate being criticised for its mythology??

But it gets worse.

According to the Salt Lake City Weekly, everybody on this forum is a freak:

http://www.slweekly.com/editorial/2..._2004-07-15.cfm

"They're all freaks, but there are two distinct categories of Stargate SG-1 fans: The ones who've followed the galaxy-surfing saga for seven seasons
    since the Showtime beginning through the transition to the Sci-Fi
    Channel, and those who are a couple of years behind because they've
    only recently gotten hooked through syndicated reruns."

SNIP

"...the former is absolutely wet over the arrival of Stargate Atlantis, the series' first spin-off. All they need to know (this is not a newbie-friendly
    franchise) is that Atlantis is faster-paced, higher-tech and a tad
    more environmentally preachy than SG-1."

And even this article on MSNBC is only begrudgingly complimentary at best:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5296598#survey

"The original series 'Stargate SG-1' starring Richard Dean Anderson of 'MacGyver' fame gets my vote (if not enthusiastically) as the most compelling sci-fi show currently on the air, and so this spinoff ought to be worth a look."

Soo...do you think there's some kind of backlash happening in response to its 8-year success?

I'm tempted to think it might be sour grapes because the franchise is ever-growing. Maybe they are die-hard Trek or X-files fans and they don't like Stargate muscling in on the sci-fi cult-status scene?

Either that, or they genuinely think it's crap...unthinkable!!!

Where has all the positivity gone??

Bah, they're just jealous and pure evil.

Comment

3 negative articles do not make a drop in the bucket of pro-sg1/a articles out there. Morjana (sp?) has posted like 1000 pro sg1/a articles. So don't take this to heart.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
        3 negative articles do not make a drop in the bucket of pro-sg1/a articles out there. Morjana (sp?) has posted like 1000 pro sg1/a articles. So don't take this to heart.
        Yeah i guess so.

I guess I'm just so used to reading 95% positive articles that three negative ones in a row made my head explode.

It was like an alternate universe....

pfft! What do they know anyway right?

Comment

Forget the critics. Most of them want "regular normal television", like ER, NYPD Blue,, The West Wing, The Sopranos, and most sitcoms. They think that if it's a sci-fi program, it's not good, including any modern Star Trek, Andromeda, and so on...it's been that way since the beginning (and note that I've been a sci-fi television fan for about 17+ years, so I've seen a lot of these reviews), since frankly, and unfairly, they view science fiction television as programming they can't understand, and therefore, criticize it, its continued existence, and even it's fan base, as evidenced above. (I've been a Trek fan for about 18 years, so I know what's it's like for a fan base to be criticized constantly for liking a program.)

And in response to one of the critics, I happen to fall in the second category of fan, and I'm glad I've seen the light.

If it's so wrong to be a newborn fan of a science fiction show that is frankly, more worthy of praise than most network television currently running, then I don't want to be right!
          I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Comment

I'm in horror. Absolute horror. Are they suggesting that Andromeda is...good? Even its own fans don't like it all that much.

Comment

It doesn't take much to be better than Andromeda... Cleopatra 2525 was better than andromeda, Idiot's what do they know.
              Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Sorry...should've put Farscape in there instead of Andromeda. My fault.
                I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Comment

I liked all the shows they called Mediocre except Andromeda!

First Wave was great!To bad it got caned! Psi Factor was really good untill Connor Doyle died in season 2 but it still had some good episodes in the later seasons.

Stargate SG1 is made in canada and has canadian actors, But its still a MGM american production.Its only conciderd fully canadian once its made by canadian production studios and producers and published by a canadian company.

The FX in SG1 may not be mind blowing as alot of other shows, But its writing is always excellent and its still very entertaining. Clearly to me these are critics who are losers who may not even like the show or watch it much, They seem anti science fiction in general also.
                  The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Originally posted by Bast
                    The FX in SG1 may not be mind blowing as alot of other shows
                    I dunno. I've seen better effects on stargate than in most movies. They are certainly better/cooler than ST: Enterprise

Lost City and New Order come to mind as 'drool-worthy'...

...and from what I've seen with Atlantis....
                    sigpic

Comment

The FX on the early seasons were pretty average,Though they now can afford better FX and new FX tech has come its way as well.

The Basic effects havent really improved much from the original movie untill like season 5.
                      The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Originally posted by FieryHands
                        I'm in horror. Absolute horror. Are they suggesting that Andromeda is...good? Even its own fans don't like it all that much.
                        LMAO!!

That's classic. And oh so true!

Comment

Originally posted by Bast

The FX in SG1 may not be mind blowing as alot of other shows, But its writing is always excellent and its still very entertaining. Clearly to me these are critics who are losers who may not even like the show or watch it much, They seem anti science fiction in general also.
                          See I always thought the special fx were pretty good. I mean obviously they can't do on TV what they do in a big blockbuster movie, but they're definitely better than the average stuff I've seen around. Then again, I live in Australia which means I haven't even seen most of the sci fi stuff mentioned in the articles.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron 1

If it's so wrong to be a newborn fan of a science fiction show that is frankly, more worthy of praise than most network television currently running, then I don't want to be right!
                            Hoooray for newbies!

We all were at one time or another...but there is no escaping the light that is stargate forever. Eventually, everybody succumbs to its considerable charms.

Maybe we should kidnap these critic types, strap them down in a chair and force them to watch the entire first season in one sitting. That ought to sort them out !

Comment

Big words, small brains? Why the Canuck-bashing? Really, that's racist

And oh yeah, if they're so mediocre, why call them "COMPETENT"?

What a puzzle.

Hey, let's ship 'em off to a Goa'uld HQ so they can get their brains melted into a nice cheese, and served like the traditional cuisine of Chulak

Too many critics = failed screenwriters.

Truth speaks for itself.
                              Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                              more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Working...
                              X