S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    Okay, so I feel totally guilty about all the hate/anti Pete etc. etc. type of threads/mail and so on that's doing the rounds. I'm partially to blame for that too. Therefore I decided to start this thread.
    I know there are a lot of others threads discussing the pro/cons of this character and why only Sam/Jack should belong together but I don't see others that are actually discussing why Pete and the guy that plays him is actually an A-okay guy.

So please (if the moderators will allow it) -
    Use this thread to try and find what's good about the Pete character.
    I know that there a lot of Pete (including myself) who doesn't want to see him paired off with Sam but hey surely there should be positive threads to counter-balance all the negative ones out there.
    Even trying and send the actor that plays him some positive messages e.g. his acting ain't half bad messages etc. - especially since at the end of the day he's a human being with feelings and all the 'I hate Pete...kill Pete...whatever' threads but surely be hurtful.

I will start off:
    The guy that plays him has an absolutely beautiful smile. Has everyone actually notice how deep his smile goes and that his eyes have this way of laughing along.
    On top of that I've read that the actor is such a wonderful person in real life therefore my message to him is 'Good for you!' and welcome to the Stargate universe. All I'm asking is that you give us your best and please (this is meant only as a joke) stay away from Sam,

To Darryn (any moderators) out there - Please - if possible and if this thread is allowed and successful - can you ensure that the actor gets to read this. To see that not everybody in the Stargate fandom is against the poor guy.

DDL seems like a lovely guy, and he is a great actor, but I just don't like Pete. I don't know what it is about him, that I don't like. I don't call him 'stalker Pete' or anything. I just think he's not right for Sam.

I also feel, that far too much attention is being paid to a minor character. All you need to do is go onto Gateworld home, and you see Pete Shanahan this and Pete Shanahan that.

DDL - Great actor, great guy
    Pete - slightly creepy
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

We already have a Sam/Pete thread, but I can see the merits of having a thread for the character himself, as I do know shippers who do like Pete.

From the tone of your post it sounds as if you feel that GateWorld places restrictions on the topics posted - I'm sorry if you've got that impression but we don't. Any topic, as long as it is within the forum rules, is welcome here. So it really isn't a case of 'if moderators will allow it'. Really, we're not that draconian!
      sigpic

Comment

SueKay and everyone else - it is great that you like the actor. But this is a pro-Pete thread, and the person who started it made it clear in her first post that it is for those who like the character and want to talk about what they like about the character.

Please respect that wish and refrain from posting negatively about the character. There is already an anti-Pete thread for that.
        sigpic

Comment

Anyone who likes Pete *or* DdL might be interested in a thread in the fandom folder called "Care package for DdL". (sorry, no links, v temperamental computer which is liable to chuck me off whenever I change pages)

I like Pete. I liked his sense of humour, and I like that he's a little unconventional. The dinner & dance was a sweet and original sort of thing to take someone on a date to.

Madeleine

Comment

I'm a big Sam/Jack shipper, but I'm one of the few who actually likes Pete. Taken at face value he's funny and smart and really cares about Sam. In fact, for me all of his positive qualities are about what he does for Sam. I never bought the 'stalker' label--to me he looked like a guy who just wanted to be able to be in her life, so he called in a favor to find out as much as he could. His showing up at the stakeout didn't bother me either. He's a cop. He has as much to lose by getting involved with the 'wrong' person as Sam does. He followed her; he saw her draw a gun; he figured 'Hey, this is what I'm good at' (wrongly, he had no idea, but understandably); and he tried to protect her. All good stuff.

Yeah, I'm hoping his job is to make Sam happy for parts of Season 8 and to allow her to get over her phobias about connection and commitment. I don't find him particularly attractive, but Sam does. That's what counts. I figure eventually that with a seven season S/J shipper subtext in "Stargate," that Sam and Pete will mutually agree to break it off, but in the meantime, he's a happy guy who likes her.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
              DDL seems like a lovely guy, and he is a great actor, but I just don't like Pete. I don't know what it is about him, that I don't like. I don't call him 'stalker Pete' or anything. I just think he's not right for Sam.

I also feel, that far too much attention is being paid to a minor character. All you need to do is go onto Gateworld home, and you see Pete Shanahan this and Pete Shanahan that.

DDL - Great actor, great guy
              Pete - slightly creepy
              I also don't want to see Pete paired off with Sam and I am a huge huge Sam/Jack fan, that is why my name is added to your petition list. But I do feel the actor needs to get a break.

I think the whole reason why a lot of shippers was/and some still is against Pete (including myself) in the first place is due to the suddeness of his character. Maybe if they carefully brought him onto the show and in a logical fashion (which meant not having a relationship with Sam in his very first episode) then more fans - including shippers - will have tolerated him.

But that's a discussion for another thread. This one is mainly meant for those fans that are willing to see the goodness in Pete and the actor that plays him.
              Last edited by NG.1; 14 July 2004, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                We already have a Sam/Pete thread, but I can see the merits of having a thread for the character himself, as I do know shippers who do like Pete.

From the tone of your post it sounds as if you feel that GateWorld places restrictions on the topics posted - I'm sorry if you've got that impression but we don't. Any topic, as long as it is within the forum rules, is welcome here. So it really isn't a case of 'if moderators will allow it'. Really, we're not that draconian!
                Thanks Madam Moderator.

As for your last paragraph - no...not at all. It is just that I know the preference is that you don't have a multitude of threads about the same topic and a lot of readers on this forum prefers it too, I was just trying to take that into consideration. Sorry if my first post didn't sound clear enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                  Anyone who likes Pete *or* DdL might be interested in a thread in the fandom folder called "Care package for DdL". (sorry, no links, v temperamental computer which is liable to chuck me off whenever I change pages)

I like Pete. I liked his sense of humour, and I like that he's a little unconventional. The dinner & dance was a sweet and original sort of thing to take someone on a date to.
                  Yes, I think I like his sense of humour too. As for unconventional...I'm not too sure. I don't think he's the first character that displayed that. The dinner and dance was in my opinion very sweet and original too.
                  But something that kept on nagging me...surely they should have notice that Sam/Pete didn't belong there between all the old people?
                  I was waiting the whole time in anticipation for such a scene and where Sam/Pete had to explain themselves - sort of a humorous scene.

Comment

Hi there

Just for the record I'm a huge Sam/Jack shipper fan too! I'm kinda obsessed about them (hehe) so this thread was really a huge step for me.
                    After having read all the hate and Pete must die posts I went and watched Chimera again and realized that if you don't look at it through shipper eyes it ain't half.
                    Note to all producers/directors/actors that might read this post - this doesn't mean I want Sam and Pete to end up together, okay?

He is funny, smart and I too think he really cares about Sam. After all he is a friend of Sam's brother.
                    As for the stalker story - still torn in two about that scene but I'm willing to rather see the postiveness of this e.g. Pete caring about Sam. After all this is what this thread is there for.

My hope for season 8 is that they aren't going to let Sam and Pete break up and then have Pete disappear for good - like in the case of some of the other characters - and neither do I want his character to die off.

Rather I hope one of the following might happen:
                    1. Pete realise Sam is in love with Jack and he is the one to open her eyes to it. That way he'll be a hero to a lot of fans.
                    2. Pete gets to arrest Kensey and gets a medal or something from the president.
                    3. Pete falls in love with one of the other characters in the show and that way gets to stay on for a little while longer without a lot of fans looking for his blood.

Okay, can't really think of any more ideas but if anybody out there is willing to help me out on this...

Originally posted by Bucky
                    I'm a big Sam/Jack shipper, but I'm one of the few who actually likes Pete. Taken at face value he's funny and smart and really cares about Sam. In fact, for me all of his positive qualities are about what he does for Sam. I never bought the 'stalker' label--to me he looked like a guy who just wanted to be able to be in her life, so he called in a favor to find out as much as he could. His showing up at the stakeout didn't bother me either. He's a cop. He has as much to lose by getting involved with the 'wrong' person as Sam does. He followed her; he saw her draw a gun; he figured 'Hey, this is what I'm good at' (wrongly, he had no idea, but understandably); and he tried to protect her. All good stuff.

Yeah, I'm hoping his job is to make Sam happy for parts of Season 8 and to allow her to get over her phobias about connection and commitment. I don't find him particularly attractive, but Sam does. That's what counts. I figure eventually that with a seven season S/J shipper subtext in "Stargate," that Sam and Pete will mutually agree to break it off, but in the meantime, he's a happy guy who likes her.

Bucky

Comment

I want for Sam and Pete to stay together, but I don't want the show turning into a soap opera.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky
                        Bucky, thank you for writing that. I just had one of those "that's what I've been trying to say" moments! And I got a chuckle remembering the scene in Chimera where he pulled his gun and I thought, "I bet you're thinking you're gonna kick some a$$, police-boy!"

Anyhow, I totally agree with you except that I'm not a shipper (for any pairing). I just enjoy the show. I also thought Pete was cuter in New Order than he was in Chimera...maybe it was the hat?
                        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                        once done, cannot be undone...
                        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I think is was the pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                            Bucky, thank you for writing that. I just had one of those "that's what I've been trying to say" moments! And I got a chuckle remembering the scene in Chimera where he pulled his gun and I thought, "I bet you're thinking you're gonna kick some a$$, police-boy!"

Anyhow, I totally agree with you except that I'm not a shipper (for any pairing). I just enjoy the show. I also thought Pete was cuter in New Order than he was in Chimera...maybe it was the hat?
                            Thanks to you--and NG. I *really* wanted Pete's last appearance to be in Season 7, and I am *really* disappointed that he's back. But, hey! I do not buy that he's a stalker or that he is disrespectful to Sam. In fact, for me as a Sam/Jack shipper, the worst thing about Pete is that he *is* a nice guy and that Sam seems to like him. I hate that. But I don't hate Pete.

Bucky
                            Last edited by Bucky; 15 July 2004, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NG.1
                              But something that kept on nagging me...surely they should have notice that Sam/Pete didn't belong there between all the old people?
                              I was waiting the whole time in anticipation for such a scene and where Sam/Pete had to explain themselves - sort of a humorous scene.
                              I didn't think they gatecrashed, I'd assumed they were at his Uncle's bash, or his Mum's friend's or something. Your scenario is funnier though!

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X