S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
    All I have to say is that I hope the show focuses a bit more on SG-1, I miss the team interaction. I hope that they can build Mitchell into the team as well as they were able to build Jonas Quinn into it.

I miss Jonas! I want to see more him... however that won't happen any time soon...

I know. This season is/was supposed to back to team episodes. Maybe S10. But, we'll see.

Comment

how to do spoiler tags
      <spoiler> </spoiler> just replace the <> with []

and i agree, i think my biggest fear about s10 is the rumored focus on vala, the space baby (scifi babies NEVER work out well) and the fact that the much promoted and 'bigger and better sg-1' simply doesn't appeal to me as much as the older seasons.

I dont' care for the tight costumes, the boobilage on display, the sacrificing of characters for the sake of the plot (such as sam snogging pete on a mission just so that the director can have a cool shot to pull out on, totally dismissing the fact that a professional like Sam would NOT behave that way on a mission, AT even protested but was ignored)

The Ori storyline is just too much like real life for me to enjoy it. fighting religion is futile and frustrating and i already live in a world where people would like to blow me to bits for being the 'wrong' religon....don't care to have that point driven home in my entertainment too.

there have been too many clumsy plots, plotholes the size of a hatak ship in addition to too many homages and it's quickly ceasing to be amusing and excusable and is not becoming rather pathetic

and, as someone who's spent the past 7 years watching this show, i think it's sad to watch it flounder and flop and drag itself on beyond it's expiration date. It once was a classy show and it would have been nice to have had it end while it was still good.....rather than having it join x-files in the 'went on too long' category
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glennh73

i want SG-1 team back and do what they do best go on missions but have an overall arch.
        i agree with you here there are no subsitute for jack on missions.

Comment

yeah, even considering that it's hard to have a team when one member is gone for 5 of the 10 eps, we still have the 'focus on one' formula going on

maybe they've gotten so used to NOT writinig all 4 kids at once that they don't remember how???

sigpic

Comment

AFAIC, the upcoming end of Season 9 Vala-spoiler-that-will-not-be-named is the shark just waiting to be jumped. I have tremendous misgivings about this particular plot development. I keep asking "why do this? why?" and can't come up with a good answer... If this is the intro to a larger story arc for S10 I am fearful I may run screaming from the room when SG1 comes on next year.

I find that I am constantly irritated by the character of Vala, and not in a good, Rodney-MacKay-kind of way (I prefer him in small doses, too ), but in a gee-I-feel-sort-of-insulted-as-a-woman kind of way. What a role model! And I say that because the other characters USED to be held up as role models for kids (anybody else remember that?).

The only way the Orii will become less of a snooze-fest for me is if they bring back Julian Sands! Otherwise I think I'll just turn in with a good book, or maybe even (gasp!) see what's on the next channel.

Comment

the writing is sub-par.
              The spoilers thus far for the remaining shows demonstrate that the writers are grasping at straws to maintain an audience.
              Funny one liners were great for Jack, as he was the only one that really did it. Now, everyone can be funny and cheesy. This applies to SGA too. That annoying sneezing girl drove me up the wall.

Vala had potential, but the overboard sexual inuendos and the somewhat dry humor show that the writers are trying to hard to make us like her.
              Character development takes time, they need to understand this and write her accordingly. Jack took a few episodes to be likeable funny. His humor is somewhat corny at times, but it's his humor and we love it!
              When RDA spoke and made jokes, often times allusions or references, it was funny because it didn't seem forced.
              Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
              Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

maybe the difference is, a lot of jack's humor was rda's. he'd adlib, while it seems that vala's 'humor' has been written for her....which could account for it seeming forced.

i'm not saying that she's not fun to write for, and if she was on another show, she'd at least be enjoyable, but there;s just such a forced focus on her that it's off. i mean, jonas in a whole season, someone who was originally conceived to be a permnant member of the cast, got less of a focus in 22 eps than vala has in 6 eps.

the other issue is cam. he does have potential, but they seem to be working so hard to push him, to convince us that he's great, that they're forgetting to write him as great. don't just tell me know good he is, let me see it. and right now all i've seen is a character who...well Jonas acted more competant than cam has...and jonas was an alien from another planet

sigpic

Comment

Well, I've been courious to see if TPTB read these threads. I think it would be a pretty smart thing to do to see what people are upset about and then try to fix some of it. Can't please everyone, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Anyway, I wrote this in the Ask Joe thread:

Hi Joe,

Quick question, do you read any of the other threads besides the "Ask Joe" Thread? If yes, which ones?

Thanks a bunch,
                  Christine

Hopefully he'll say the anti nine and anti ten threads! Hope this isn't off topic. But I think it would be great if he said that he read these threads!

Comment

This whole vala and the dopey baby nonesense is what is killing it for me - what misguided ideas. I am not surprised though as so many of the recent decisions have been misguided it's not even an enjoyable show to watch most of the time anymore and that's why I have only been watching a few eps here and there and none of those have really caught my attention all that much either. Vala is a nuisance that is better left under the rock they found her as she is not a fit for SG1 - at least not the SG1 that was a good, solid, intelligent, well-written team show wherein the characters clearly had purpose and friendship and a bond (all the things that have been missing for quite some time now). Now, they are just a group of people that work together, and so far they aren't even together all that much - they are just working on the same thing from different places - it really is kind of sad to watch it die such a slow death from what it once was. A space baby - please - no matter how many times I say it, and no matter how cooper and the rest of them pimp it - it will still be stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                      My opinion is that folks should be very, very careful about being too anti-Season 10 at this early stage. A full 10 episodes of Season Nine are completely unaired, there is no confirmed casting (beyond Ben, perhaps), and no confirmed writers/producers beyond Rob C. and Brad W. It'd be a little like complaining about Season Two after watching "Children of the Gods" through "Thor's Hammer."

It's fun to speculate based on rumors, but rumors are rumors, and they're also rumors rumory rumor rumors. Or so it's rumored.
                      Originally posted by Hatcheter
                      But can we use speculative statements based on unspecified information rumored to have been sugested by unnamed sources who may or may not be able to verifiy that such insinuations have a potential of being somewhat related to truth?
                      Only if one insinuates the speculatory hearsay in such a way that on any given day in order to keep the lawyers and barristers away they don’t stray far from the fray of what TPTB say.

Ah... speculation. Right up there with anticipation as the elixirs of fandom life. But even GW S9 episode spoilers from official PTB sources are rumor *coughs* speculation, until the ep airs…. (and the Threads debacle goes to show that even when it is aired, it can be seriously butchered and what you thought you saw wasn’t really what thought you saw…)
                      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        and right now all i've seen is a character who...well Jonas acted more competant than cam has...and jonas was an alien from another planet
                        Serves me right for reading this too quickly… thought it was Cam who was from another planet & it made perfect sense!

Originally posted by Seshat
                        The only way the Orii will become less of a snooze-fest for me is if they bring back Julian Sands! Otherwise I think I'll just turn in with a good book, or maybe even (gasp!) see what's on the next channel.
                        Ummm… Can I put in my order for JS now? Though I’d prefer the Julian of the Long Blond hair and less of the glitterglam makeup please.

I guess for now I'll keep my concerns to the S9 threads as there hasn't been a lot of spoilage from TPTB re: 10... but I'll be peeping in here for a lurk or two...
                        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by glennh73
                          What about the Aschen, Dannys grandpap with those giants, an so many other ideas from past seasons.
                          Exactly.

Nick's been with the giant aliens for 5 years now. It's about time he came back and shared his knowledge.

Also, the Re-tu were supposed to be such a huuuge threat and yet it's been 6years since we heard from them.

And the Foothold aliens - maybe they can't come back through the gate, but they have to be on other worlds.

And yes, last we heard about the Aschen, we gave them a gate address to the black hole. I'd love to know if they used it or not and if so what happened.

There's just so much history to draw on for stories. I don't understand why they have to make up a bunch of new stuff.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat

I find that I am constantly irritated by the character of Vala, and not in a good, Rodney-MacKay-kind of way (I prefer him in small doses, too ), but in a gee-I-feel-sort-of-insulted-as-a-woman kind of way. What a role model! And I say that because the other characters USED to be held up as role models for kids (anybody else remember that?).
                            I agree! (Although I like Rodney, as I'm sure you can see from my sig. )

As a woman, I find the character of Vala to be disgusting and degrading. And we're getting her full-time in Season 10?

Good thing I have Atlantis, BSG, and Smallville to watch!
                            Proud Canadian and army wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                              Well, I've been courious to see if TPTB read these threads. I think it would be a pretty smart thing to do to see what people are upset about and then try to fix some of it. Can't please everyone, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Anyway, I wrote this in the Ask Joe thread:

Hi Joe,

Quick question, do you read any of the other threads besides the "Ask Joe" Thread? If yes, which ones?

Thanks a bunch,
                              Christine

Hopefully he'll say the anti nine and anti ten threads! Hope this isn't off topic. But I think it would be great if he said that he read these threads!
                              He already answered a similar question a few months ago!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ds#post4427461

Comment

i dont want to post here because im anti S10, but i do want to voice some concerns

in S9 we lost Jack, that was a big big blow. in S10, theres talk of amanda doing some crossover to atlantis meaning she'll be in less SG-1, so for all intents and purposes we are beginning to lose another character from the show

what i dont understand is how they can write jack out, essentially minimize the role of sam and possibly replace her with vala, and still call the show Stargate SG-1?

I mean, what is it that we loved so much about the show? For me, it was because this is the first scifi where the characters and their relationship are more important than the stories. When I watch this show, it feels like we're onboard with a team of amazing people who would trust each other with their lives, and it just so happens that interesting stuff is happening to them and not that the characters are their for the sake of the story

when we got to season 9 it felt like we lost a lot of the team dynamic which was present in earlier seasons. losing Jack and Sam (for the first few episodes) just didnt feel the same, so i wouldnt like to see Sam get a lesser role in S10 purely because a lot of the newer fans want to see ben and claudia together take over the team

IF, and I stress the word IF, the writers are changing the team around purely to get new fans interested in the show then they have lost my respect because this show used to be about this very unique relationship and special bond between these 4 people. Changing that is basically changing the very essence of the show, and why are they doing it? To get higher ratings? Whatever happened to serving the story and remaining true to what Stargate SG-1 really is?

It feels like SG-1 is dying a slowly ugly death. This show should never have gotten to the point where theyre forced to introduce new members and change so much of the principle cast because like I said, its the PEOPLE in this show which makes it so great. And it should have ended when all the main players were still around because now theres a major shift in the team dynamics, the show just doesnt feel right to me anymore, and it certainly doesnt feel like SG-1

right now, with the current SG-1 team, things are somewhat acceptable, but having Carter play a smaller role in the team? That would be too big of a change, and although it would help Amanda and help her career progress, it doesnt help the show at all because nobody, and I mean nobody, can replace Sam's place in the team. Just like Mitchell couldnt replace Jacks place in the team

</rant>
                                - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Working...
                                X