S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    I just saw an article that said Seventh Heaven had been cancelled by the WB network even though it was still getting very good ratings for the newtwork. They cite the fact that the show was getting too expensive to continue but they did last long enough to make the claim to the "longest running family drama on TV" and this made me think that next year we may very well see an article that says Stargate SG1 cancelled becuase it is too expensive but it was the longest running sci-fi show in the US at 10 years, even longer than X-Files. At this point I would be willing to bet $ that it is entirely plausible that this is the article we will see next year for Stargate as it is clear in the business that shows get cancelled for reasons other than low ratings and it seems to me all skiffy ever really cared about these past few years was getting to 10 years so they can make the claim for their network PR.
    Last time I read something about the production costs for an SG-1 episode was something in the line of 1.7 millions $.
    Let's say they want more than 10 seasons. Let's say the ratings stay good (according to the Sci Fi Channel's expectations) next year. What would be the critical cost of an SG-1 episode where Sci Fi Channel would say NO? 1.8? 1.9? 2.0? .... 2.5?
    School is overrated.

Comment

Why should I watch the show without Janet?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
        Last time I read something about the production costs for an SG-1 episode was something in the line of 1.7 millions $.
        Let's say they want more than 10 seasons. Let's say the ratings stay good (according to the Sci Fi Channel's expectations) next year. What would be the critical cost of an SG-1 episode where Sci Fi Channel would say NO? 1.8? 1.9? 2.0? .... 2.5?
        No wonder they've just licensed action figures...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Olli
          Why should I watch the show without Janet?
          Its a hard choice, but I would completely understand if you choose not too.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
            Its a hard choice, but I would completely understand if you choose not too.
            I think a show which is on air for such a long time like Stargate will make somtimes some changes which push away some old fans but win some new fans on the other hand.

I was a fan from the first episode and Janet was my favourite. Now she is gone and against all hopes I think she will not come back, maybe I shoud close the stargate chapter and move on?
            sigpic

Comment

This is probably in the wrong place because it's slightly positive, but my negativity is like a magnet to these threads.

Reading between the lines of Joe's blog (the latest and the previous entry), and the season renewal press release, it appears that Brad Wright is becoming involved in SG-1 again. Great news for fans of the team, hopefully.

Although, I'm not sure, after what will be 2+ years of rubbish and the negativity towards S2 of SGA, his influence will be enough to pull it back from the brink.
              I have a horrible feeling it might be too late to save us from the saviour baby story. And RCC will still be showrunning in tandem.
              (There you go, some negativity for the topic )

Comment

What also irks me about season 9 is that some fans are so willing to wait for team moments or for character development to show that they actually give a hoot about one another. In season 1 we had Fire and Water when Daniel was thought to be dead. The anguish that the characters showed was genuine and came across on the screen. What we need is good writing and good acting.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli
                  I think a show which is on air for such a long time like Stargate will make somtimes some changes which push away some old fans but win some new fans on the other hand.

I was a fan from the first episode and Janet was my favourite. Now she is gone and against all hopes I think she will not come back, maybe I shoud close the stargate chapter and move on?
                  I know there will be an ep with Frasier in it this year. I hope that they can somehow keep her around afterwards, but I doubt it. I suspect there is not much more stargate left and that which they will show will not be very.... Stargatey. So I am guessing you will have a lot of company should you choose to turn off the show for the final time.

Me personally. I choose to ignore Heros II and Threads (not too fond of Divide and Conqure either, but at least Martoufs death ment something) and continue watching for the other characters I love. Now Jack and Hammond are gone, we dont see Major Davis or Bratec or Thor so much. If they lose any of the other cast, or develop any of the new cast in more cringworthy ways then I too will click it off for the last time.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                    This is probably in the wrong place because it's slightly positive, but my negativity is like a magnet to these threads.

Reading between the lines of Joe's blog (the latest and the previous entry), and the season renewal press release, it appears that Brad Wright is becoming involved in SG-1 again. Great news for fans of the team, hopefully.[/SIZE]
                    ive been out of the loop for a while...i know brad is now producing atlantis but i thought he was still attached to SG-1 in some way? or did he leave to do atlantis?
                    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                      ive been out of the loop for a while...i know brad is now producing atlantis but i thought he was still attached to SG-1 in some way? or did he leave to do atlantis?
                      He pretty much stepped away just after S6 - not sure why, but I suspect political/Skiffy meddling. He writes the odd episode, and appears to produce those shows (although RCC's name goes on the end), but he pretty much runs SGA. Which you'll notice a lot of people say has a better team dynamic than SG-1 this season.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf

Reading between the lines of Joe's blog (the latest and the previous entry), and the season renewal press release, it appears that Brad Wright is becoming involved in SG-1 again. Great news for fans of the team, hopefully.

Although, I'm not sure, after what will be 2+ years of rubbish and the negativity towards S2 of SGA, his influence will be enough to pull it back from the brink.
                        I have a horrible feeling it might be too late to save us from the saviour baby story. And RCC will still be showrunning in tandem.
                        (There you go, some negativity for the topic )
                        Brad Wright is coming back?!!?! ooookkkkk I am a little more willing to give some time then...

Comment

ooh very interesting!! it seems brad wright holds the key then, hmmm
                          who actually determines whether Brad comes back to SG-1 or not? Scifi? The other producers? Himself?
                          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

i THINK one of the reasons for brad to step back was simply all the fuss made over s6. things were very tense and there was a huge fan outcry and brad bore the brunt of it. one fan even made a 'wanted dead or alive' poster with brad's pic on it

now he did take this stuff iwth good grace, but i would imagine that it was stressful

so he moved onto atlantis and started something fresh.

as to him staying involved in sg1, well both shows are made in teh same building. it's not like he moved to another state. I think making both shows is a huge group effort on part of the writers/producers
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              i THINK one of the reasons for brad to step back was simply all the fuss made over s6. things were very tense and there was a huge fan outcry and brad bore the brunt of it. one fan even made a 'wanted dead or alive' poster with brad's pic on it

now he did take this stuff iwth good grace, but i would imagine that it was stressful

so he moved onto atlantis and started something fresh.

as to him staying involved in sg1, well both shows are made in teh same building. it's not like he moved to another state. I think making both shows is a huge group effort on part of the writers/producers
                              Sheesh. While I'm not a fan of RCC's at the moment, I think such hostility is a bit... psychotic.

How do we know Brad Wright is coming back to SG-1, though?

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                Now Jack and Hammond are gone, we dont see Major Davis or Bratec or Thor so much.
                                I don't know anything about Davis or Thor, but Bra'tac will be in a couple of episodes in second half of S9. But how good these episodes will be we all shall see.
                                School is overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X