S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
    He already answered a similar question a few months ago!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ds#post4427461
    It's a shame he doesn't look at the anti-s. I've not posted my negative opinions on the episode threads because I don't want end up getting into circular arguments. Maybe I should so there'll be another voice added to those who don't think everything is perfect. Of course I'd have to watch the eps again, so... maybe not

As for S10, I have a feeling I'll be doing an RDA and just popping in for the first couple of episodes. The whole Vala/baby, Daniel/Vala, diminished Sam, religious fanaticism angles aren't selling it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
      And yes, last we heard about the Aschen, we gave them a gate address to the black hole. I'd love to know if they used it or not and if so what happened.
      No I highly doubt that they used it for 2 reasons:

1) After we gave them the addresses we made clear to them that we found out what were their intentions regarding us and we acted accordingly

2) In Exodus (4x22) we gate to the blackhole address in order to destroy Apophis' fleet in the Vorash system, and that wormhole would still stay open long after the gate was destroyed, long after the sun was sucked by the blackhole and still is.

I also think they didn't used the other gate address for the first reason stated above and because in 4 years we haven't heard anything of them (of being conquered by some system lord. I think they are live and kicking and awaiting the day when they will get their revenge on us and continue to expand their Aschen Confederacy.
      School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
        It's a shame he doesn't look at the anti-s. I've not posted my negative opinions on the episode threads because I don't want end up getting into circular arguments. Maybe I should so there'll be another voice added to those who don't think everything is perfect. Of course I'd have to watch the eps again, so... maybe not

As for S10, I have a feeling I'll be doing an RDA and just popping in for the first couple of episodes. The whole Vala/baby, Daniel/Vala, diminished Sam, religious fanaticism angles aren't selling it to me.
        It's possible he's had a peek or two in the past. However for the complaints with regards to RDA's departure & how it was handled etc. Are really out of the writers control, The actor made a decision to spend more time with his family. They really had 2 choices for his departure, the first was to kill him off & the other was to promote him/make him resign from the military. In the hope that he can make a couple of brief appearances, they decided to promot him. Me personally, I would have killed him off & made him go out like a hero. That would have been a far better send off, than having him appear like he did in S9.

Other things are mostly speculation, Such as Vala's baby being the saviour & Carter being expendable for Vala's return in S10 as a regular cast member etc.

If it were me personally, I would probably rise to the bait & make a post or two on the anti-thread if I was a writer on the show.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing & it's easy to criticise after the fact. Which I'm sure people like JM appreciate as it helps them what other paths they could have taken, they must because he responds to some harsh stuff in his blog entries. So they obviously take some on the constructive criticism on board. Just not enough to make any major chamges on what they are planning to do. They only go season to season & so have to field what they think are he most appropriate scripts for the upcoming season. Unless all fans stopped watching, then a few dozen continuous posters won't really do anything. I honestly don't fault the writers at all. I solely put the blame on the sci-fi execs doors.

I think they would get a lot more things wrapped up, if sci-fi would take their heads out of each others asses & sign them up for a couple of seasons at a time, rather than year to year.

This way they might have a chance to wrap up some of the many unfinished stories that I've been longing to see. Foothold,Reetu,Grace aliens to name a few.

And yes, last we heard about the Aschen, we gave them a gate address to the black hole. I'd love to know if they used it or not and if so what happened.
        An earlier response from JM in his thread.

There were plans to bring the Aschen back for an episode tentatively titled Judgement - that was consequently shelved back in season 7. But in Stargate, nothing stays shelved forever. Witness the out-of-control plant from season 8's Zero Hour. That idea was first pitched out back in season 4.

It was supposed to be about the Aschen putting SG-1 on trial for killing millions of the Aschen people who perished in the black hole. Would have been a cool epsiode & hope they finally get around to it.

Comment

However for the complaints with regards to RDA's departure & how it was handled etc. Are really out of the writers control, The actor made a decision to spend more time with his family. They really had 2 choices for his departure, the first was to kill him off & the other was to promote him/make him resign from the military. In the hope that he can make a couple of brief appearances, they decided to promot him.
          I agree that their options were limited, but they could have handled his absence better imo. Showing Landry talking to him from time to time is fine, but I'd really like to see more references to him or bits with Sam/Daniel/Teal'c talking to him on the phone or referring to a recent conversation with him. Would just make me feel a little more like he was still a part.

This way they might have a chance to wrap up some of the many unfinished stories that I've been longing to see. Foothold,Reetu,Grace aliens to name a few.

An earlier response from JM in his thread.

There were plans to bring the Aschen back for an episode tentatively titled Judgement - that was consequently shelved back in season 7. But in Stargate, nothing stays shelved forever. Witness the out-of-control plant from season 8's Zero Hour. That idea was first pitched out back in season 4.

It was supposed to be about the Aschen putting SG-1 on trial for killing millions of the Aschen people who perished in the black hole. Would have been a cool epsiode & hope they finally get around to it.
          Yes. This is the kind of stuff I'd like to see, sadly I don't hold out much hope at this point.
          sigpic

Comment

It's possible he's had a peek or two in the past. However for the complaints with regards to RDA's departure & how it was handled etc. Are really out of the writers control, The actor made a decision to spend more time with his family. They really had 2 choices for his departure, the first was to kill him off & the other was to promote him/make him resign from the military. In the hope that he can make a couple of brief appearances, they decided to promot him. Me personally, I would have killed him off & made him go out like a hero. That would have been a far better send off, than having him appear like he did in S9.

Other things are mostly speculation, Such as Vala's baby being the saviour & Carter being expendable for Vala's return in S10 as a regular cast member etc.

If it were me personally, I would probably rise to the bait & make a post or two on the anti-thread if I was a writer on the show.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing & it's easy to criticise after the fact. Which I'm sure people like JM appreciate as it helps them what other paths they could have taken, they must because he responds to some harsh stuff in his blog entries. So they obviously take some on the constructive criticism on board. Just not enough to make any major chamges on what they are planning to do. They only go season to season & so have to field what they think are he most appropriate scripts for the upcoming season. Unless all fans stopped watching, then a few dozen continuous posters won't really do anything. I honestly don't fault the writers at all. I solely put the blame on the sci-fi execs doors.
            I have no problem with RDA leaving. I just currently have no intention of sticking around for more than the first couple of episodes. Like RDA, I'll be doing it purely out of a sense of duty than love.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if you have a look at the postings on Gateworld some of the issues - the Cam/Sam leadership issue for starters - were marked out for discussion way before the first shot of S9 was done, and likely before pen was put to paper script wise. And it was an honest discussion full of hope that the worst case senario, the one almost no-one wanted, would never come to pass.

It did.

The sad thing is that too many of the things we (the anti-s) hoped wouldn't happen did. And badly.

Comment

ive never really done the whole speculating about future seasons thing...but S10 has been confirmed for about 2-3 weeks now?
              but how long is it usually before we find out more about whats going to happen in the next season so some of these rumours can be put to rest?

like i said, ive never really paid attention to where the producers decide to take the show in the next season so I dont know if they even listen to the fans about these things
              - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

theoretically they should be writing/plotting around now. usually they start taping in feb/mar or so, which means the pre-production stuff should start around now

as to when spoilers will be leaked....probably not for a few months. they'll focus on promoting the second half of s9 first, then ramp up promotion on s10 around the last airing of s9, let the 'excitment' of the finale feed the 'interest' for hte premiere
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                  ive never really done the whole speculating about future seasons thing...but S10 has been confirmed for about 2-3 weeks now?
                  but how long is it usually before we find out more about whats going to happen in the next season so some of these rumours can be put to rest?

like i said, ive never really paid attention to where the producers decide to take the show in the next season so I dont know if they even listen to the fans about these things
                  TPTB do not listen to fans. TPTB do what they like, or often times they do what their "masters" like, even if they disagree.

Scifi is the emperor, TPTB are just the generals implementing his evil will.

EDIT: too much?
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, there are a few things that the writers could have done far better.

They are bascially tied up each season by not knowing if this will be the last or not. However issues such as (or lack of) explanations to some needed situations, such as where exactly is O'Neill & not making it plain who is in command opf SG-1 to name a few. Really can be put onto the writers. They could have sorted out the leadership issues in a few lines of dialogue. Yet they choose to ignore it, most likely for fear of upsetting Sam & Mitchell fans. If it went against their preffered character.

Like I said, they do have one hand tied behind their backs each season, so this limits what they can do. However I my biggest annoyment with writers are their serious lack of following up on things.

Foothold is a prime example. Aliens invade the GSC & then manage to get topisde as well. They are finally thwarted & escape through the SG. Nothing since, No attempt to go to the coordinates of which they escaped. Surely these aliens would have went back at some point in the future.

They simply use these eps as one off wonders. Then move onto the next one & so on, never looking back. So that's the biggest thing that irks me about the whole show.

Comment

SG-1 has been slowly declining the past few years, but this year is has been a steep drop. IMO, the show has already jumped the shark once they made Vala the focus of the show. It's not just all the qualities that other posters have mentioned such as the juvenile humor or lack of teamwork or poor characterization; the show is boring. I stopped watching the show after 6 or 7 episodes because it became such a chore.

I think casual viewers are not watching. Their ratings are being sustained by the core Stargate fans, but with this much anger and disappointment among fans, the ratings will slowly leach away as the season progresses. I will be curious to know how DVD and other ancillary products will sell in the next 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud
                        I think casual viewers are not watching. Their ratings are being sustained by the core Stargate fans, but with this much anger and disappointment among fans, the ratings will slowly leach away as the season progresses. I will be curious to know how DVD and other ancillary products will sell in the next 12 months.
                        hmm, this could get interesting because if people do stop watching then scifi will have a choice to make....1) cancel the show entirely given its not doing as well as theyre hoping or 2) change the show to suit their core fan group and risk isolating newer fans

which do you think theyll do? i hope the show doesnt get cancelled, but i also dont think its likely that theyll change everything they did in S9 just to suit us old school fans

however i did read somewhere that the show this year is doing pretty well so maybe the show, as far as ratings go, isnt doing too badly?
                        - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud
                          SG-1 has been slowly declining the past few years, but this year is has been a steep drop. IMO, the show has already jumped the shark once they made Vala the focus of the show. It's not just all the qualities that other posters have mentioned such as the juvenile humor or lack of teamwork or poor characterization; the show is boring. I stopped watching the show after 6 or 7 episodes because it became such a chore.

I am curious as well. In fact, how the second half of the season turns out will determine if I bother to even get the DVDs. Normally I have them preordered the first day they are available.... guess I could be saving some money.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

We talk about TPTB not listening to the fans, and then in the next breath that they haven't done certain things for fear of upsetting fans. If that's true which is it?
                            Maybe it's both.
                            Maybe they only choose one section of the fanbase to listen to.
                            Maybe they haven't got a clue what they are doing, and sway whichever way the wind blows.

Maybe they should just do what they want, make the logical and necessary things crystal clear, play they unimportant things lightly, p off a few fans, and trust the majority of fans to roll with it.
                            I'll roll with anything if it becomes absolute. I don't have to like it, but at least it won't take me out of the show because it's unexplained.

Comment

i know, for me, up to this point, i used to order the region 2 discs, even though they were a LOT more expensive, simply because i didn't want to wait a year to get the episodes.

I have yet to get all of season 8, and i have no plans at all to get season 9. if i get hte dvd's i'll track them down pre-viewed in a year or so and get them as cheaply as possible....and in a way that mgm won't get more money off them. i'll buy what someone else has sold off, not rack up another sale for mgm

I've made my home made dvd's (for my own use) and those will more than suffice me until i decide to get the commercial ones

that's how much the show's descending quality has effected me.

Gatecon 2004 was the last con i've been to, and i have no plans at all to attend any of hte professional cons. they're too expensive and too focused on aspects of the show that i don't like for me to shell out about 1000 dollars in tickets and travel expenses.

three years ago, it was just the opposite.

on the flip side, the descent in quality of the show is saving me a ton of money
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i know, for me, up to this point, i used to order the region 2 discs, even though they were a LOT more expensive, simply because i didn't want to wait a year to get the episodes.

I have yet to get all of season 8, and i have no plans at all to get season 9. if i get hte dvd's i'll track them down pre-viewed in a year or so and get them as cheaply as possible....and in a way that mgm won't get more money off them. i'll buy what someone else has sold off, not rack up another sale for mgm

I've made my home made dvd's (for my own use) and those will more than suffice me until i decide to get the commercial ones

that's how much the show's descending quality has effected me.

Gatecon 2004 was the last con i've been to, and i have no plans at all to attend any of hte professional cons. they're too expensive and too focused on aspects of the show that i don't like for me to shell out about 1000 dollars in tickets and travel expenses.

three years ago, it was just the opposite.

on the flip side, the descent in quality of the show is saving me a ton of money
                                Its like TPTB Gieco.

Comment

Working...
                                X