Page 3 of 950 FirstFirst 123 4561353103503 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 18990

Thread: S10: Critique & Contemplation

  1. #41
    First Lieutenant Nem2k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flowerbud
    I think casual viewers are not watching. Their ratings are being sustained by the core Stargate fans, but with this much anger and disappointment among fans, the ratings will slowly leach away as the season progresses. I will be curious to know how DVD and other ancillary products will sell in the next 12 months.
    hmm, this could get interesting because if people do stop watching then scifi will have a choice to make....1) cancel the show entirely given its not doing as well as theyre hoping or 2) change the show to suit their core fan group and risk isolating newer fans

    which do you think theyll do? i hope the show doesnt get cancelled, but i also dont think its likely that theyll change everything they did in S9 just to suit us old school fans

    however i did read somewhere that the show this year is doing pretty well so maybe the show, as far as ratings go, isnt doing too badly?

  2. #42
    Lieutenant Colonel AGateFan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I dont really exist
    Posts
    4,441

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flowerbud
    SG-1 has been slowly declining the past few years, but this year is has been a steep drop. IMO, the show has already jumped the shark once they made Vala the focus of the show. It's not just all the qualities that other posters have mentioned such as the juvenile humor or lack of teamwork or poor characterization; the show is boring. I stopped watching the show after 6 or 7 episodes because it became such a chore.

    I think casual viewers are not watching. Their ratings are being sustained by the core Stargate fans, but with this much anger and disappointment among fans, the ratings will slowly leach away as the season progresses. I will be curious to know how DVD and other ancillary products will sell in the next 12 months.
    I am curious as well. In fact, how the second half of the season turns out will determine if I bother to even get the DVDs. Normally I have them preordered the first day they are available.... guess I could be saving some money.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

    ^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

    AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

  3. #43
    Colonel smurf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hearing secret harmonies
    Posts
    6,397

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    We talk about TPTB not listening to the fans, and then in the next breath that they haven't done certain things for fear of upsetting fans. If that's true which is it?
    Maybe it's both.
    Maybe they only choose one section of the fanbase to listen to.
    Maybe they haven't got a clue what they are doing, and sway whichever way the wind blows.

    Maybe they should just do what they want, make the logical and necessary things crystal clear, play they unimportant things lightly, p off a few fans, and trust the majority of fans to roll with it.
    I'll roll with anything if it becomes absolute. I don't have to like it, but at least it won't take me out of the show because it's unexplained.

  4. #44
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    52,669

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    i know, for me, up to this point, i used to order the region 2 discs, even though they were a LOT more expensive, simply because i didn't want to wait a year to get the episodes.

    I have yet to get all of season 8, and i have no plans at all to get season 9. if i get hte dvd's i'll track them down pre-viewed in a year or so and get them as cheaply as possible....and in a way that mgm won't get more money off them. i'll buy what someone else has sold off, not rack up another sale for mgm

    I've made my home made dvd's (for my own use) and those will more than suffice me until i decide to get the commercial ones

    that's how much the show's descending quality has effected me.

    Gatecon 2004 was the last con i've been to, and i have no plans at all to attend any of hte professional cons. they're too expensive and too focused on aspects of the show that i don't like for me to shell out about 1000 dollars in tickets and travel expenses.

    three years ago, it was just the opposite.

    on the flip side, the descent in quality of the show is saving me a ton of money

  5. #45
    Lieutenant Colonel AGateFan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I dont really exist
    Posts
    4,441

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    i know, for me, up to this point, i used to order the region 2 discs, even though they were a LOT more expensive, simply because i didn't want to wait a year to get the episodes.

    I have yet to get all of season 8, and i have no plans at all to get season 9. if i get hte dvd's i'll track them down pre-viewed in a year or so and get them as cheaply as possible....and in a way that mgm won't get more money off them. i'll buy what someone else has sold off, not rack up another sale for mgm

    I've made my home made dvd's (for my own use) and those will more than suffice me until i decide to get the commercial ones

    that's how much the show's descending quality has effected me.

    Gatecon 2004 was the last con i've been to, and i have no plans at all to attend any of hte professional cons. they're too expensive and too focused on aspects of the show that i don't like for me to shell out about 1000 dollars in tickets and travel expenses.

    three years ago, it was just the opposite.

    on the flip side, the descent in quality of the show is saving me a ton of money
    Its like TPTB Gieco.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

    ^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

    AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

  6. #46

  7. #47
    First Lieutenant Nem2k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCroix
    S6. 1.69

    S7. 1.65

    S8. 2.01

    S9. 1.96
    ooh interesting, i guess a lot of decisions that scifi make will be based on ratings, and looking at these, it looks like theyll most likely be sticking with the direction that S9 is taking them ie with the whole vala thing

    what this means for Sam and her being in more atlantis remains to be seen, i just hope they dont replace her with Vala purely because of these ratings

  8. #48
    Second Lieutenant Flowerbud's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nem2k
    hmm, this could get interesting because if people do stop watching then scifi will have a choice to make....1) cancel the show entirely given its not doing as well as theyre hoping or 2) change the show to suit their core fan group and risk isolating newer fans

    which do you think theyll do? i hope the show doesnt get cancelled, but i also dont think its likely that theyll change everything they did in S9 just to suit us old school fans

    however i did read somewhere that the show this year is doing pretty well so maybe the show, as far as ratings go, isnt doing too badly?
    Sci-Fi would probably cancel the show if the ratings tank. They seem to look at only the short term. I don't have faith that the writers and producers of SG-1 will be able to fix the show. They would have to bring in new writers/producers, but it might be too late. Towards the end, Enterprise improved, but the ratings never came back.

  9. #49
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    52,669

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    i don't think they care if the show lasts too much longer

    it is, quite bluntly, getting too expensive to make. we have cast and crew who have been on teh show for almost 10 years. and, presumably, every year they get raises. so, just pulling numbers out of the air here, the person who got paid 50K per year in season 1 could be getting paid 60K a year now.

    because of this, the overhead increases every year. the show gets more and more expensive. if they increase the cast, well they increase that bit of overhead because i sincerely doubt that they aske the existing cast members to each take a pay cut to bring in someone else

    i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care

    teh show will die and it may or may not take atlantis along iwth it

    when you also add into this mix the growinig popularity of BSG, a show that scifi owns and controls totally, stargate starts to have some things definitely not in its favor

    i jsut hope we don't get a repeat of farscape in the lines of 'have a whizz bang finale and, oops, cancelled. too bad, so sad'

  10. #50
    Lieutenant Colonel AGateFan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I dont really exist
    Posts
    4,441

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    i don't think they care if the show lasts too much longer

    it is, quite bluntly, getting too expensive to make. we have cast and crew who have been on teh show for almost 10 years. and, presumably, every year they get raises. so, just pulling numbers out of the air here, the person who got paid 50K per year in season 1 could be getting paid 60K a year now.

    because of this, the overhead increases every year. the show gets more and more expensive. if they increase the cast, well they increase that bit of overhead because i sincerely doubt that they aske the existing cast members to each take a pay cut to bring in someone else

    i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care

    teh show will die and it may or may not take atlantis along iwth it

    when you also add into this mix the growinig popularity of BSG, a show that scifi owns and controls totally, stargate starts to have some things definitely not in its favor

    i jsut hope we don't get a repeat of farscape in the lines of 'have a whizz bang finale and, oops, cancelled. too bad, so sad'
    I hope we dont have a farscape... crpy last season with a cliffhanger ending and then cancelled. But that does look the way its going, unless TPTB are smart enough not to make S10 end in a cliffhanger.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

    ^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

    AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

  11. #51
    First Lieutenant Nem2k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    i really wish scifi would just say "ok, SG has 2 more seasons and thats it" because then everyone will know exactly where to take the story and give it a good ending!! grrr

    what i would really want though is if Rick came back and rejoined SG-1 team for the final season. End the show the way it started. It would be very nostalgic and be a great way to end the longest running scifi of all time

  12. #52
    First Lieutenant Amanda Eros's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    985

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCroix
    Ok.

    Since some of us are talking ratings, I went to check and see the average for the first 10 episodes in from S6-now. And they are:

    S6. 1.69

    S7. 1.65

    S8. 2.01

    S9. 1.96

    I think the reason why there was such a large increase in ratings from season seven to eight could have been a number of things. First off, they made "Scifi Fridays" a big thing. They had new shows Atlantis and BSG that drew in more fans. Plus, since it has switched to Scifi from Showtime, more people have the chance to accidentally turn in on and say, "oh wow, this looks interesting." That pretty much happened for my whole family. I started to watch at the end of season six, then caught up with all the reruns on Mondays over the last couple of years.

    I also think that the reason why Enterprise didn't do as well rating wise is because it was mainly shown on UPN. I know Voyager was also on UPN, but it switched over from I believe the WB after two seasons? UPN isn't the most popular station concerning Scifi shows. If it had been on a more flashy network like WB or Fox, I think it would have had a larger fan base. I was really hoping Scifi would buy the rights to Enterprise so that I can see all the episodes. That's one thing that sucks about going to college night classes! I missed most of the series because of them, and don't have the cash to dish out to buy the dvds. Oh well!

  13. #53
    Colonel Seshat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,881

    TV Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care...
    I've thought long and hard about this since the disappointing start of S9, and I have to say that I agree. It seems to me that S9, despite all producers', writers' and actors' rah-rah comments to the contrary, is just an exercise in flailing around for a direction, and the promise of S10 following the same haphazard track is inevitable. I don't believe the directions they or the SciFi network have chosen are workable for long-term success. In point of fact, in TV terms they've already HAD long-term success. The rest is just gravy. And it's true that the show is almost certainly too expensive to produce anymore. The moment it becomes so it will be gone. I don't see a S11, no way, no how.

    Saying that, I can't blame anyone involved in the project for sticking around until the bitter end and collecting their paychecks. These people have worked together a long time in a (relatively) secure and stable working environment, and although they all see that the end is near, it's not quite here yet, and they still have families to feed and mortgages to pay and kids to put through school. And I'm not just talking about the higher pay scale actors and directors, etc., but the camera guys and catering and the grips and the guys who change the lightbulbs and sweep up, et al. There are LOTS more of those people, the folks we never see, who do their jobs day in and day out and are dependant upon the studio and Stargate. Another year's work is another year's work after all.

    I loved the show of the past, and that show is dying. And I don't mean because of RDA leaving, or AT being absent for so long, or the emphasis on Vala, or BB coming in, I mean the scripts themselves, the stories are LACKING in almost everything that made this show Stargate. Some would say it's dead already, but I can see little glimpses of its former glory here and there, so I still watch. But the longer it goes on, the farther it seems to get from its real strengths, the team interaction and loyalty and the sense of family. THAT was Stargate. What I see on my screen now, and I fear, in S10 is just a pale ghost of that.

    Somebody said something about the show now being nothing more than a bunch of people in sci fi costumes who don't seem to know each other and who don't seem to be working from the same script. With this I agree. Maybe a new writer can inject a little of the old team flavor, maybe not. We'll see. But I really doubt we'll be seeing anything labeled "Stargate SG-1" AFTER S10.

  14. #54

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seshat
    I've thought long and hard about this since the disappointing start of S9, and I have to say that I agree. It seems to me that S9, despite all producers', writers' and actors' rah-rah comments to the contrary, is just an exercise in flailing around for a direction, and the promise of S10 following the same haphazard track is inevitable. I don't believe the directions they or the SciFi network have chosen are workable for long-term success. In point of fact, in TV terms they've already HAD long-term success. The rest is just gravy. And it's true that the show is almost certainly too expensive to produce anymore. The moment it becomes so it will be gone. I don't see a S11, no way, no how.

    Saying that, I can't blame anyone involved in the project for sticking around until the bitter end and collecting their paychecks. These people have worked together a long time in a (relatively) secure and stable working environment, and although they all see that the end is near, it's not quite here yet, and they still have families to feed and mortgages to pay and kids to put through school. And I'm not just talking about the higher pay scale actors and directors, etc., but the camera guys and catering and the grips and the guys who change the lightbulbs and sweep up, et al. There are LOTS more of those people, the folks we never see, who do their jobs day in and day out and are dependant upon the studio and Stargate. Another year's work is another year's work after all.

    I loved the show of the past, and that show is dying. And I don't mean because of RDA leaving, or AT being absent for so long, or the emphasis on Vala, or BB coming in, I mean the scripts themselves, the stories are LACKING in almost everything that made this show Stargate. Some would say it's dead already, but I can see little glimpses of its former glory here and there, so I still watch. But the longer it goes on, the farther it seems to get from its real strengths, the team interaction and loyalty and the sense of family. THAT was Stargate. What I see on my screen now, and I fear, in S10 is just a pale ghost of that.

    Somebody said something about the show now being nothing more than a bunch of people in sci fi costumes who don't seem to know each other and who don't seem to be working from the same script. With this I agree. Maybe a new writer can inject a little of the old team flavor, maybe not. We'll see. But I really doubt we'll be seeing anything labeled "Stargate SG-1" AFTER S10.
    Very good post.
    But God I hope you are wrong.

  15. #55
    First Lieutenant Nem2k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seshat
    But the longer it goes on, the farther it seems to get from its real strengths, the team interaction and loyalty and the sense of family. THAT was Stargate.
    yes, i completely agree with that. it was the team which made this show for me, their relationship with each other, that sense of trust you get with each member of SG-1, that was what made this show so special and I think theyve lost already

    i remember reading an interview or something that the writers and directors have started to remove some of the more team moments, like where they smile at each other, where they show appreciation for each other. bits like that were removed to give more time to the story which i always thought was a bad decision because i thought those bits are integral to the show and what made it brilliant at the start

  16. #56
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith_Hunter
    Don't get me wrong, there are a few things that the writers could have done far better.

    They are bascially tied up each season by not knowing if this will be the last or not. However issues such as (or lack of) explanations to some needed situations, such as where exactly is O'Neill & not making it plain who is in command opf SG-1 to name a few. Really can be put onto the writers. They could have sorted out the leadership issues in a few lines of dialogue. Yet they choose to ignore it, most likely for fear of upsetting Sam & Mitchell fans. If it went against their preffered character.

    Like I said, they do have one hand tied behind their backs each season, so this limits what they can do. However I my biggest annoyment with writers are their serious lack of following up on things.

    Foothold is a prime example. Aliens invade the GSC & then manage to get topisde as well. They are finally thwarted & escape through the SG. Nothing since, No attempt to go to the coordinates of which they escaped. Surely these aliens would have went back at some point in the future.

    They simply use these eps as one off wonders. Then move onto the next one & so on, never looking back. So that's the biggest thing that irks me about the whole show.
    Don't forget that a lot of the old stories like the Ree'tou, Nox, Furlings, Foothold Aliens, and Crystal Skull aliens are from season 1-3 which had a different writing team - I guess the "new" writers (came in season 4, so they aren't really so new anymore) don't like those stories which is why they have ignored them and changed things from early seasons to accomodate later stories.

  17. #57

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nem2k
    i remember reading an interview or something that the writers and directors have started to remove some of the more team moments, like where they smile at each other, where they show appreciation for each other. bits like that were removed to give more time to the story which i always thought was a bad decision because i thought those bits are integral to the show and what made it brilliant at the start
    But how much story could they make more room for by removing some of the more team moments? 1 min? 5 min? Are those team moments consuming that much time? I think they traded something in hope they gain something. And thus doing more damage than good to the show.

  18. #58

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sum1
    Don't forget that a lot of the old stories like the Ree'tou, Nox, Furlings, Foothold Aliens, and Crystal Skull aliens are from season 1-3 which had a different writing team - I guess the "new" writers (came in season 4, so they aren't really so new anymore) don't like those stories which is why they have ignored them and changed things from early seasons to accomodate later stories.
    I wonder if the writers from season 1-3 which later left would have developed their stories. I am also wondering if it be better if they (TPTB) would rehire them.

  19. #59
    First Lieutenant Nem2k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Engineer
    But how much story could they make more room for by removing some of the more team moments? 1 min? 5 min? Are those team moments consuming that much time? I think they traded something in hope they gain something. And thus doing more damage than good to the show.
    i know, and thats what i mean. they cut out something which was trivial yes, but also very important to the show to make way for...what? i dunno, because like you said, you dont gain much in terms of story time, but you lose a lot in terms of emotion and relationships. so yeah i agree, it did more damage than good, i just hope they realise that and inject some of tha back into the show, wouldnt change all that much right now but itd be a start

  20. #60

    Default Re: The Anti Season 10 Thread (SG-1). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nem2k
    i know, and thats what i mean. they cut out something which was trivial yes, but also very important to the show to make way for...what? i dunno, because like you said, you dont gain much in terms of story time, but you lose a lot in terms of emotion and relationships. so yeah i agree, it did more damage than good, i just hope they realise that and inject some of tha back into the show, wouldnt change all that much right now but itd be a start
    I hope they change their minds and reinsert those team moments. Sometimes the small things matter the most.

Similar Threads

  1. VFX critique for the shrine
    By grime in forum The Shrine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
  2. VFX critique for ghost in the machine
    By grime in forum Ghost In the Machine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
  3. JMS critique
    By TheGreatLordGeorge in forum Babylon 5
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •