Comment

shepard is the coolest!!!

Comment

Just started my first Atlantis rewatch.

Still a great episode.
        sigpic
        Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Loved this, and man the Wraith are worse than the Goa'uld... Creepy.
          sigpic

Comment

My favorite scene in the entire Stargate franchise is when
            Spoiler:
            Atlantis is rising from the Lantean sea.
            But it's clear, at least by one measure, Stargate Universe is going out with a social supersonic boom.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
              It's funny to look back at that scene in light of the episodes that happened later like "broken ties" where it shows how the Wraith interrogation process actually works.
              Probably because the interrogation process in BT and EATG was just some made up thing for later and was never intended this way. Why would they interrogate like this. First they are telepaths and second if you give back the victims life, it's not just a threat anymore to take it, is it. And I also think that would put a body quite through some strain leading to the death of the person. I really hated how they put this "gift of life" from Todd in CG into some ridiculous interrogation and braking method.

About the queen, is stabing her in the stomach really doing more damage then shot wounds? I was kinda surprised after we saw her healing abilities before. Also for the guards, they went down too quickly.
              Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

Comment

Ok, I just started watching Atlantis. I really never like McKay in SG-1, but he gets one iota of respect from me because he was the one telling Weir it was time to go and she was pulling a Daniel trying to stay. Of course, I still think it's his weenie survival instinct, but at least he seemed to have it together and not be whining.
                Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

This is a great start to the show, but I've seen the pilot a few too many times now which means I naturally find it a little more difficult to appreciate due to "rewatch fatigue". Atlantis is a gorgeous city, and the moment of it rising up out of the water is just stunning. I'm watching on blu-ray, so it looks better than ever (despite the fact that the CG shots appear to be upscaled and not true HD).

There's a great cast of characters put together here, but I was never the biggest fan on Dr. Beckett. Almost every line of dialogue he has appears to be complaining or whining. McKay is great, Shepard is a little bland at this point but a natural leader. I always liked Weir, but I'm not a Teyla fan at all. Ford is also not the most vibrant of characters at this point, and originally I didn't like him all that much. In the guest star roles, Robert Patrick is fantastic and Chris Heyerdahl is always awesome whatever part he's playing.

Immediately, the Wraith are a far more interesting enemy than the Goa'uld. The only aspect of them which doesn't work for me is the Queen, who is somewhat unwatchable in her cheesiness. I quite like the digital Stargate, but I find myself slightly missing the classic spinning one. Puddle Jumpers are brilliant; I want one.

Story-wise, it's a nice transition from SG-1 and a good follow-on from Lost City. The first half actually moves very slowly, but I think it's necessary. There's a lot of info to be delivered, and the build-up to arriving at Atlantis needs to be effective. Looking back, however, very little really happens in the show: arrive at Atlantis, meet Athosians, wake up the Wraith. It's okay, though, because we get to spend time with the new characters and begin to get a feel for them.

It's been quite a while since I've watched Atlantis. It ended up being my favourite series of the franchise, so it will be interesting to see how I feel about it during the rewatch. The city of Atlantis itself is a lovely, lovely place. I kind of wish I lived there (apart from the constant risk of danger/attack/death).

RATING: 8 out of 10
                  Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 28 January 2012, 02:16 PM.
                  Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

As pilots go Rise is really well done all the way around. Clearly they are benefitting from the years of experience with SG-1 because everything works together smoothly and looks like they've been around for years.

There are definitely things that will change and work themselves out as the series goes on, but the main framework is already surprisingly well defined by the end of the episode.

Can't say I like the wraith nearly as much as the Goa'uld; they're just not as much fun. Also I prefer false gods from ancient earth mythology to space vampires.

Nothing like Jack/Daniel banter. I can never get enough and it's a nice way to pass the baton. Sheppard clearly gets the leading man nod from Gen. O'Neill, and it seems like they are at least considering setting him up with Teyla the warrior princess.

Since the characterization and relationships are still early yet I'll hold off on commenting further for now, but Carson has always been a favorite from the beginning. He's such a cutie. Just had to add that in.

Comment

I have to get use to going to a different section now.

This was a better beginning than the episode that began SG-1.

"Several Million years," I got confused, I forgot when Destiny was launched. I thought they said millions of years. Well we got SGU coming up in 6 months.

The Music was awesome (I bought the soundtrack years ago).

Tomorrow, a (kind of) SG-1 rehash (already).
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd already said most of what belonged here in the pt 1 bit! It's one episode on my DVD and goes to show how much I know of this series of Stargate!

So I guess what's left is the Wraith. I seemed to recall them being a lot more scary first time round, and I was sure their 'soldiers' weren't that easy to kill, they revived really quickly. Here they went down easily as did the Queen since they were supposed to have amazing regeneration abilities.

Watching the Wraith Queen was interesting as Andee Frizzel who played her was talking about her part in this episode at the last Creation Convention in Vancouver a few weeks ago. She was telling us about how the Wraith started out as wearing Wraith hand 'gloves' which were really awkward to work with. I did notice on watching this episode that the tips of her fingers seemed to twist to the sides! Hers were made to size but she said the other 'Wraith' shared them and being made of silicone they ended up becoming very sweaty and smelly! Later on the actors' hands were painted. She also said the teeth she was wearing went flying to land on Sheppard's chest during shooting the scene with him on the table, he cried out, "this Wraith is falling apart!"

Comment

Later that night if memory serves...

1. I'm with Shep on this one...they were already on the Wraith's radar and surely they would have come after Atlantis sooner or later if not Earth. They had nothing to lose by bringing it to the Wraith.

2. Problem is...they still woke up a load of Wraith.

3. The city rising scene...I forgot how impressive that looks.

4. Also forgot that McKay wasn't originally on Sheppard's team, wonder why JOhn picked him?

Still good!
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The Wraith make very scary and creepy villains. Pity they lose that effect in later seasons.

Love the scene on the Puddle Jumper with Shep and Ford. The ship giving Shep almost everything he wants but a turkey sandwich.

Speaking of Ford I can't wait until Ronan replaces him.

My only problem with Ancients using the drones as weapons on ships is they can run out in the middle of a battle. But beam weapons like the Wraith, Asgard and Goa'uld wouldn't.

Is this lemon chicken?
                            sigpic

Comment

My LiveJournal post

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                              Can't say I like the wraith nearly as much as the Goa'uld; they're just not as much fun. Also I prefer false gods from ancient earth mythology to space vampires.
                              Hmm yeah, I'm not sure I get the facination with the Wraith a lot of people seem to have on this forum yet. Maybe I need to see more of them...
                              Love the part when Atlantis rises though, freakin' awesome!
                              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

If part 1 is about the mystery then Part II is about the action. The first scene is the Atlantis team shooting at Wraith darts on Athos. That really sets the tone for the whole episode of action oriented. The whole rising of Atlantis because the shield failed is cool and everything but doesn't it seem a little deus ex machina to have the solution solved so easily. I like how the Wraith were introduced. Their was only a little information released. It makes them scary especially sense they were shown to have defeated the Ancients. Sure they get a little wussy later one but here in the moment its pretty awesome how they defeated the Ancients. The Puddle Jumper was an interesting idea that we know is fairly prominent in all 5 seasons of Atlantis. Once again they feel a little more mysterious then they are in later season. The nice thing about the pilot is yes we saved the day but its kind of a hollow victory in that not only did Shepherd have to kill Col. Summer but also he woke up the Wraith. So yes we won the battle but we may have made things worse
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X