X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview with Andy Mikita

Hi guys,
    Here is an interview of Andy Mikita made for GateShip-One.net, a french website dedicated to SGA.
    Enjoy !

First of all, could you tell us a little bit more about yourself, your work and your career ? What gave you the desire to become a director ?
    How did you become a director for Stargate SG-1 ? What about Atlantis, did they ask you to direct an episode or was it your idea ?
    You have mostly worked on TV shows, you really seem to enjoy that, don't you ?

After quitting college, I started working in film as a director/producer of low budget, independently financed documentaries. My dramatic experience began in the mid 80's with a production assistant job on a Disney feature that was shooting in my town. From there I worked my way up the food chain as an assistant director on both feature films and television, and in 1997 I signed on to the pilot episode of Stargate SG1. I've been there ever since. I guess I've been working in this business for about 20 years now. I always wanted to be a director, but I definitely took the long road. At Stargate SG1, I went from 1st AD to Production Manager and 2nd Unit Director. In season 3 I directed my first episode, "Foothold". I guess it worked out OK, because I continued to get more episodes. So far I've done 22 SG1's and 6 Atlantis'. And I love it. I have the best job in the world, for sure. But like most TV directors, I definitely aspire to work on a feature some day.

The first episode of Stargate Atlantis you directed was ' Before I Sleep '. What was your first feeling when you have worked with the new cast ?
    Being given that you work for SG :1 and Atlantis, do you have to switch from one set to the other for some episodes ?

As you mentioned, "Before I Sleep" was my first Atlantis. It was a great experience. New cast, new crew, new sets. Lots of enthusiasm and energy. I was really nervous at first, but I had tons of fun.
    This season things were a little crazy with regard to scheduling. Because of budget constraints, we would often have to shoot scenes from multiple episodes on the same day. We also divided our schedules between Main and 2nd Unit, and it was quite common for the cast to bounce back and forth between units. Same for the directors. We would often go between units or shoot scenes from other episodes. Peter, Martin and I would often shoot scenes for each other. Say, for instance, I was in the Daedulus shooting for my episode and Peter had scenes there as well, I would just do them for him since I was there already. And conversly, Peter would do scenes for me in whatever set he would be in. It was awkward, but it worked. We're all good friends, so no one minds.
    Check out the full interview here (in english and french)
    Scroll down for english version

Thanks for the link! That was an interesting interview!
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X