Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think BSG would use a "space folding" FTL. Where they fold space in on iytself and presto, cchango, there you are, somewhere else.

As far as the "Quantum Theory" goes, in this case in QM a particle gets itself out of a potential well by "instantaniously"appearing outside the potential well seemingly in a way it was not supposed to be able to do.

Go here for some basics:

http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/c...1829526&ss=toc

Go here for a more rigorous approach:

http://tabish.freeshell.org/physics/nboh/

In a game called "Traveller 2300", the FTL starships used "Stutter Warp" for moving at >c velocities. That used the same principle as Quantum Tunneling but the jumps were relatively small but happening millions of times a second.

The whole problem that physics has with FTL comes from the issue of having information travel throughout the universe at faster than light speeds. In Relativistic Physics, information travels at the speed of light. If you have information getting to a place faster than light, you have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
      The concept in BSG really reminds me of that scene in the Homeworld game series.
      Actually, I noticed that similarity too and not just with the FTL stuff. Alot of the shots of the Galactica firing its flak into the masses of Cylon Raiders strongly reminded me of simliar scenes in Homeworld with the ships slugging it out.

Comment

I don't really know much about physics but folding space is also what the Hyperdrive does. But unlike Galactica , in which they unite 2 points in spacce they just make those 2 points closer.

If we take that analogy the Tollan guy made to explain it 2 Daniel in BSG they take a strait stick and bend it until the 2 ends meet, while in SG they bend it only half way, shortening the distance. I could be wrong but thats how I see it.
        Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Comment

Originally posted by @Li3n
          I don't really know much about physics but folding space is also what the Hyperdrive does. But unlike Galactica , in which they unite 2 points in spacce they just make those 2 points closer.

If we take that analogy the Tollan guy made to explain it 2 Daniel in BSG they take a strait stick and bend it until the 2 ends meet, while in SG they bend it only half way, shortening the distance. I could be wrong but thats how I see it.
          If they just "shorten the distance", then the ships still have to move to the new location under thrust.

No, this looks like folding space ala "Dune". There one folds the dimensions of space (all 4 of them) in a 5th dimension and appears almost immediately after in another position in space.

Comment

Originally posted by LCD2YOU
            If they just "shorten the distance", then the ships still have to move to the new location under thrust.

No, this looks like folding space ala "Dune". There one folds the dimensions of space (all 4 of them) in a 5th dimension and appears almost immediately after in another position in space.
            Yeah, that's why in SG they actualy spend time in hyperspace!
            As for BSG the 2 points actualy touch the ship is in both during the jump, then they "chose" one.

BTW when i read the first "Dune" I was under the impresion that the Guild ships actualy travel at speeds higher that light (the Navigators made sure there was nothing in the way) but then in the other novels Herbert changed it to space folding.
            Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Comment

Here are my 2 cents. FTL drive is limited in knowing where you are jumping, I would think that in plotting a jump it would involve sending raptors ahead to see if the end point isn't say... in a planet. I think this theory is legit based on them mention of jumping passed the "Red Line" or what I would expect would be explored space and the raptors ending their jump so close to Kobol that the pilots almost crapped a brick, surely Galactica would have been toast. The cylons would not need to send scouts, they would be following signals from the clyons in the fleet.

Anyway... just my 2 cents. (sorry if I am rehashing previous posts.)

Comment

Originally posted by gjm75
                Here are my 2 cents. FTL drive is limited in knowing where you are jumping, I would think that in plotting a jump it would involve sending raptors ahead to see if the end point isn't say... in a planet. I think this theory is legit based on them mention of jumping passed the "Red Line" or what I would expect would be explored space and the raptors ending their jump so close to Kobol that the pilots almost crapped a brick, surely Galactica would have been toast.
                I'm not sure I agree with all of that. I like the explanation that longer jumps simply involve less precise probabilities. This implies that the two most important factors in jump plots are your scanning capabilities and your computing power. I think we can assume that no ship would have to send out scouts to "find" a planet in the way. If they don't come back do you assume they are just a damp spot on some uncharted rock? "Hmmm. Mr. Gaeta, let's try 10,000 clicks to the left for the next one."

I think it's likely that the charting capabilities of the ship allow it to scan the target area for little things like stars and planets. (just one will ruin your day ) Then you have enough data to crunch out a jump solution that gives you a jillion to one chance against jumping into a rock. The interesting implication is that if you are jumping several light years, What about the rare times when a star goes supernova? If your jump target system is 20 light years away, you are making a plot based on 20 year old intelligence!! If that star had popped in the meantime -- you're fried.

Regarding the jump that was too close to Kobol -- this little gem has been the seed for many discussions. Some think it's a clue that Geata is a Cylon. I, however, do not. Assume he was for a moment. What does a close jump get you? I think Sharon's line was just a red herring.
                Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

Their computers are capable of enormous accuracy when it comes to plotting jumps, the whole fleet leave the system before Galactica and yet when she arrives there's still a nice neat little alcove in midst of this incredibly tightly knit formation.

The range of the drives isn't just a mtter of being able to compute with accuracy since all ships are given the correct co-ordinates by Galactica, they scarcely have to crunch any numbers at all.
                  Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by MASON
                    Spoiler:
                    I was wondering about this in the Pegasus 210 forum, and I'm convinced that the Blackbird is restricted to FTV (faster than viper) flight. Someone in the forum thought that the Cylon Heavy Raider FTL might have been incorporated into the Blackbird, but with two engines already, I found that unlikely, not to mention pure speculation.

Starbuck's just going to have to pull a hard burn and hope for the best.

If Stinger and Apollo show up amidst the Cylon fleet with Whiplash and Thumper in anything but Raptors, I'll be a bit disapointed in the writing.

Hopefully RDM will be able to overlook this by having the Cylon Fleet pre-empt the recon squad's jump, and arrive within burn range of the Colonial Fleet.
                    [spolier]Speculative, I know, but it's entirely possible that they Blackbird got an FTL drive out of the copious salvage available during the turkey-shoot in 2x09. I've wondered if they didn't try to pull at least some useful parts out of that mess before jumping away.[/spoiler]

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by madk99
                      I'm not sure I agree with all of that. I like the explanation that longer jumps simply involve less precise probabilities. This implies that the two most important factors in jump plots are your scanning capabilities and your computing power. I think we can assume that no ship would have to send out scouts to "find" a planet in the way. If they don't come back do you assume they are just a damp spot on some uncharted rock? "Hmmm. Mr. Gaeta, let's try 10,000 clicks to the left for the next one."
                      I will concede this point, it was just an idea they would send the raptors ahead.

Originally posted by madk99
                      I think it's likely that the charting capabilities of the ship allow it to scan the target area for little things like stars and planets. (just one will ruin your day ) Then you have enough data to crunch out a jump solution that gives you a jillion to one chance against jumping into a rock. The interesting implication is that if you are jumping several light years, What about the rare times when a star goes supernova? If your jump target system is 20 light years away, you are making a plot based on 20 year old intelligence!! If that star had popped in the meantime -- you're fried.
                      However I am still stickin to my point tha there are no 20 year old star maps or any maps at all. Back ay Rognar Col. Tigh specifically mentioned that they would be jumping past the red line, which I think is explored space. I think they are jumping short jumps in random directions. This would be what has allowed the Pegasus to follow and with luck intercept them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                        Spoiler:
                        Speculative, I know, but it's entirely possible that they Blackbird got an FTL drive out of the copious salvage available during the turkey-shoot in 2x09. I've wondered if they didn't try to pull at least some useful parts out of that mess before jumping away.
                        Well, since it was never mentioned in FotP or Pegaus, I'll believe it when I see it. However, maybe this will be illuminated for us in the extended version of Pegasus, being released this December, if the scene where Laird asks to "crawl inside her and look around" is extended to include some reference to an FTL drive.

Comment

However I am still stickin to my point tha there are no 20 year old star maps or any maps at all. Back ay Rognar Col. Tigh specifically mentioned that they would be jumping past the red line, which I think is explored space. I think they are jumping short jumps in random directions. This would be what has allowed the Pegasus to follow and with luck intercept them.
                          When you reason that they've jumped repeatedly past the "red line" then perhaps the "red line" refers to the maximum jump distance the FTL drive can handle, not the area of charted space. It has been mentioned that the Cylon FTL drives can jump further than the Colonial technology allows, and the Raptors have limited FTL drives, allowing them to do short scouting jumps, so, maybe Adama was asking Tigh to set the metaphorical volume to 11, when the dial only goes to 10.

Comment

I’ve always interpreted the beyond “the red line” comment to be beyond know space, kind of like “beyond the rim” in B5, but MASON raises a good point that it more accurately may indicate the maximum jump distance of a Colonial FTL drive.

Tigh: "So where are we going commander?"
                            Adama: "The Pro Mar sector."
                            Tigh: "That's way past the red line."
                            Adama: "Can you plot that jump?"
                            Gaeta: "I've never plotted a jump that far sir."
                            Adama: "No one has, can you plot that jump?"
                            Gaeta: "Yes sir."

So I think I’m going to have to change my interpretation of that line.

I think they are jumping short jumps in random directions. This would be what has allowed the Pegasus to follow and with luck intercept them.
                            Pegasus
                            Spoiler:
                            Cain had this to say about how they found the Galactica: "Well, we were tracking a cylon fleet. We were trying to predict their movements, which seemed rather random, initially, until we realized that they were just jumping to systems with natural resources. So we began to scout those systems ourselves, hoping to carry out hit-and attacks on their fleet. But instead of finding the cylons, we found you."

And later she indicated to Adama that the cylons had been following Galactica based on Galactica's navigational logs so BSG has had some meaning to their jumps rather than just random here and there.

As far as figuring out where to jump without hitting something. BSG has an astrometrics section. I'd assume they use info from them to help plot jumps. In Water, they mention that Galactica has optical and x-ray telescopes. Space is a rather large and empty place. They could jump the fleet close enough to an area of interest and then send Raptors in to scout a system.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
                              Well, we dont know if there is a "hyperspace". FTL travel seems instantaneous.

Also. Im asking because of
                              Spoiler:
                              the situation in episode 211. How will they take a Viper squad with them, or how will they take the blackbird?

Comment

Working...
                              X