Serenity vs. Firefly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serenity vs. Firefly

Quick question about the movie. Does the movie pick up where the series left off and if so how much time has passed since Objects in Space?
    Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

A similar thread was started a while back in this subforum.

Serenity takes place six months after the events of 'Objects in Space'. The 3 issue Serenity comic series (the story is actually called Those Left Behind) bridges the gap between the two, explaining why the start of Serenity is the way it is...

If you can't be bothered to go out and buy the comics, here's a quick list of the important events that occur that relate to the movie (but if you havn't read the comics, and don't want to be spoiled, then skip over this bit):
    Spoiler:
    Inara leaves the ship, as does Shepherd Book.
    Mal's theory about River's psychic abilities is confirmed.
    The Blue Hands discover that Serenity - and not just any old Firefly transport - is carrying Simon and River. They fail to get River, and so assign an assassin to complete the job; the Operative.

Comment

White Knight thanks for that I would not have been able to find and buy the comics in time for the movie.
      The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
      Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
      Wash: It did seem to resemble-
      Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

No worries.
        Besides, to quote Kari (The Signal co-host): "The moment you start watching Serenity at the theatre you will have spoiled the comic books..."

Comment

It also mentions it in the Serenity Movie Guide
          sigpic

Comment

I havn't read that. People on the Serenity Oz forums said it was chock-full of spoilers, and I still havn't seen the movie, so I havn't got it. Or the Visual Companion.

Comment

Im getting it for a birthday present but I told my parents to hold onto it till thursday after I've seen the movie.
              The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
              Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
              Wash: It did seem to resemble-
              Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

I've seen the previews for Serenity and I really want to see it? The thing is I've only seen like one episode of firefly.

Is Serenity the kind of movie that you can watch and enjoy without having watched the show?

I realize I'll probably have to wait to get an answer until the movie is released on the 30th.

Comment

Well, actually some of us have had the privilege of seeing the film already at one of those advanced screenings.
                  But to answer your question, no... you don't need to have seen Firefly to understand Serenity. Joss wrote it in such a way that it'll make sense to anyone including Firefly virgins. I think it helps considerably to have seen the series and read the comics but they aren't necessary.
                  But please, by all means go and see the film... it's a terrific experience... and we would love for Joss to make a sequel .
                  Last edited by Easter Lily; 27 September 2005, 02:07 PM.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by cherryblossomjen
                    I've seen the previews for Serenity and I really want to see it? The thing is I've only seen like one episode of firefly.

Is Serenity the kind of movie that you can watch and enjoy without having watched the show?

I realize I'll probably have to wait to get an answer until the movie is released on the 30th.
                    I'd say you can enjoy it without having seen the series. Naturally it will have helped if you've seen the series it gives you a fuller understanding of the characters, but you don't have to. There's a nice intro to the movie that tells you all you need to know.

Comment

I've been watching Firefly, and enjoying it, since the SciFi channel has been re-airing it with the Friday night lineup. I have one question about the movie: Since I haven't seen all the episodes, yet [what number are they at and how many are there?], does the series make the leap from Nearly-Comatose River to Super-Fighter River believable? Or is all that a plot device just made up for the movie to bring in the action junkies. I know she has been experimented on, but are the super-powers made to be a believable result of that based on the series or does it seem whatever the original plan was, it was veered into this to bring more people into the movie.

Okay, that ended up being a lot more than one question...

Comment

There are fourteen episodes total.
                        I think that the Sci-FI channel is up to 'War Stories', episode #10, which is a big step forward in the story arc in question.
                        Last edited by White Knight; 28 September 2005, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Just letting people know that there's already a Serenity Discussion thread in existence and if we could post our reviews/comments there after watching the film. This thread allows for spoilers to be discussed freely.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I'm glad to hear that I won't have to have seen the series to enjoy the movie. I ended up being able to watch the pilot recently and found it very interesting. Just for fun... If there was one episode that you felt should definitely be watched before the movie -- which would it be?

I'm already a Sci-fi fan (hence hanging out at the GW forums ) so I plan to be very open minded about the movie. My friends, sadly, are not so they're going to be a harder sell.

Comment

Originally posted by cherryblossomjen
                              I'm glad to hear that I won't have to have seen the series to enjoy the movie. I ended up being able to watch the pilot recently and found it very interesting. Just for fun... If there was one episode that you felt should definitely be watched before the movie -- which would it be?
                              Any of them are good, but maybe have a look at Out of Gas it seems to be most people favorite episode, its deals with why they crew are on Serenity in the first place.

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                              DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Working...
                              X