This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not the Moon?

There has been some discussion on how Earth should go to Mars, and so on, and on, and on! But I'm here to say, its about time to go back to the Moon!
    Why land our ships on Earth, and have them hovering around Earth, when we can build a Moon base, kinda like a hanger, and do all the refitting there, we can use Asgard Beam tech to get back and fourth!
    The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
    Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

If you’re so danged interested in the moon, just look out your window in about 15 minutes at the sound of the car horn, and you will just have experienced the ‘moon’ in close enough detail that the only stellar object that will come to your mind for a long will be ‘asstroids’

Help! I'm standing up and I can't fall down!

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (PB)

Comment

There is nothing of interest on the moon. And there is no valid reason to work there if we have an alpha site.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
        There is nothing of interest on the moon. And there is no valid reason to work there if we have an alpha site.
        Woo, Back up!
        I wasn't sudgesting we use the Moon as the Alpha Site (That would be stupid) but as a kinda space port, that we can keep the Prometheus, Odyssey, and Daedalus (when its at Earth) while they await refittings, so that no one happens to see on landing at Earth (I don't know why know one sore the Prometheustake off in the season 6 ep of the same name.). We could also build them there.
        The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
        Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
          well, it would be a good place to "hide" the big ships.... of course it would be much easier to let the Stargate program go public....

Comment

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate
            Woo, Back up!
            I wasn't sudgesting we use the Moon as the Alpha Site (That would be stupid) but as a kinda space port, that we can keep the Prometheus, Odyssey, and Daedalus (when its at Earth) while they await refittings, so that no one happens to see on landing at Earth (I don't know why know one sore the Prometheustake off in the season 6 ep of the same name.). We could also build them there.
            It takes far more effort to build a port on the moon for no other reason than the ships than to just let them float around above Earth now and then or have work done on them at the alpha site. Besides, we may be able to hide stuff floating around in space, but something permanently on the moon, unless you put it on the dark side, someone's going to notice.

I don't think we're there technologically yet anyway. And even if we are, i doubt it's an economically sound plan.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

The moon has Helium 3 a fuel for ion drives, and is abudant in minerals.
              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I se where you are going however there is no stratigical advantage of making a base like that on the moon thats just silly.
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I dunno, the moon as a "Base" Does offer some advantages.

#1: Too many enemies focus on where the gate is (AKA Earth) And may just end up neglecting the large chunk of rock we have in orbit. Which gives the decisive advantage of if there is a attack force of Star Ships, Once their in orbit, they can be hit from behind/the flank while whatever defences we have set up for Ground-based defence hold them off.

#2: The moon is Neutral territory technically speaking. Which means there's no reason for Countries to fight and argue over national security or the like in building the ships. Which means it can be entirely international and placiate the fiesty foreigners, and still not give them access to Cheyenne Mountain and the Gate.

#3: Admittedly Area 51 is out of the way, but if your testing a New "Photon torpedo" launcher to equip the Daedalus with and it overloads and explodes, there's always a chance somebody who keeps tabs on the "Secret" facility will notice. If the same thing explodes on the dark side of the moon, Eh...Nobody will notice for a long time. Plus there's less chance of fallout, poisoning the atmosphere, dangerous global killing fires.

#4: The Moon is separate ecosystem from the earth, but still within close enough reach that the asgard Beaming tech can get materials and people back and forth easily. This gives several advantages. a) If the earth is wiped out by a Plague, or Radiation or the like, then there's still a base that can bring up the Gate and pick up somewhat where the SGC left off. b) All those minerals and resources that can be mined from the moon can be sent straight down and used, rather than having to import them from the Alpha site and Vice-versa. c) If the iris is compromised and ground forces do manage to penetrate the SGC, the situation can be monitored from the moonbase, and commando teams can just be beamed right into the facility and start kicking butt. rather than have to infiltrate through the 3 or 4 access points.

Not forgetting the previous mention of giving the ships a facility to be built on and maintained, the Moon actually sounds like a More logical step than a Far offworld alpha site as a base. Admittedly the Alpha site means that there's the vestiges of the US military halfway across the galaxy and hidden, but with that as a evacuation point and backup for SG teams, the Moon works for terrestial defence.

Maybe that's really what's Jacks doing now, Setting up ways to turn the Moon into a Big Honkin Space gun.

Comment

2 more posts

Comment

I would love to see this planet become peaceful and convert the war industrial complex into the space exploration industrial complex, therefore creating jobs, expanding tech, and not damaging the economy, so we can devote ourselves to exploring the universe in peace.

Comment

Well building a base on the moon does have one drawback, lack of air. Building ships on the moon would take longer due to the suits the workers would have to wear.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think the moon and all the uninhabitet planets are just boring compared to what stargate givs us. When our sun starts dying, people can just go through Stargate to any other planet..

um.. think Stargate will work after 3-4-5 billion years?

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                            I think the moon and all the uninhabitet planets are just boring compared to what stargate givs us. When our sun starts dying, people can just go through Stargate to any other planet..

um.. think Stargate will work after 3-4-5 billion years?
                            Its made by the ancients, one of the most advanced races in the entire galaxy until recently, I dont see why not.

As for the moon, I reckon thats where theyll put the next Lunar Park.
                            Sheppard: And a nice Delorean...
                            McKay: Oh please, dont even get me started on that movie.
                            Sheppard: I like that movie!

Comment

Working...
                            X