Thread: Hyperdrive speed (Prototype spoiler)

First Lieutenant

Default Hyperdrive speed (Prototype spoiler)

Spoiler for Prototype

Sam said it would take the Prometheus 2 week to reach Planet 584 .

But i don't get it , it takes Daedalus 18 days to reach Pegasus (Episode "Intruder")
    And in S8 "Prometheus unbound" , General Hammond said something about reaching Atlantis in about 2 week or something.

The Asgerd hyperdrive from Thor may not be as fast as the one in Thor's flag ship, i mean Thor's ship can reach Earth from his Galaxy in a bout a minute or two.
    But Prometheus and Daedalus probably has the same type of hyper drive, and how come Prometheus and Daedalus can reach Pegasus Galaxy in about 2 weeks,
    But the time it take Prometheus to reach planet 584 (in Milkyway) almost the same amount of time as reaching Pegasus.

With an Asgard hyperdrive , i would think the X-303 ship can go anywhere within Milkyway and reach destination in about a few hour.

Default Re: Hyperdrive speed (Prototype spoiler)

The trip to atlantis was achieved by using a zpm to boost the engines
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have. so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Good question...i sense a plothole here
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Quote Originally Posted by Qasim
    When the Deadulas had the ZPM boosting the engines it took four days to get there...
    and with jut the asgard hyperdrives it takes 18 days

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin
    When the Deadulas had the ZPM boosting the engines it took four days to get there...
    and with jut the asgard hyperdrives it takes 18 days
    Isn't the Daedalus more efficient as the asgard tech was part of the original design
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have. so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

The Daedalus is also bigger

Isn't the Daedalus more efficient as the asgard tech was part of the original design
    Yeah

I would guess that it has to do with an insufficient power source to produce a better hyperspace window. That would explain why the deadelus travelled faster with the zpm.

Stargate: Horizon Concept Artist TechnoWraith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin
    Good question...i sense a plothole here
    ALERT! Incoming plot hole! Take immediate evasive action! All personnel, condition Red! Incoming plot hole!

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWraith
    ALERT! Incoming plot hole! Take immediate evasive action! All personnel, condition Red! Incoming plot hole!
    Bear with me here, its an established Sci Fi convention that gravity affects Hyperdrive technology. Opening Hyperspace windows near suns or on planets becomes if not impossible then very difficult requiring ALOT of power. Also the gravity within a solar system causes the ship to travel much slower.

Now we can from this that once a ship leaves a galaxy its Hyperspace drive becomes much faster because there less gravity than inside the galaxy
    http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/3609/atlantis2os2.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar

It took 4 days using the ZPM, they only used the ZPM because they were in a hurry to deal with the hive ships. The 18 days was withought the ZPM. They're not going to waste the ZPM on traveling between galaxies. I do however think that the prommies speed was very slow concidering in prommie unbound they were expecting to make it to atlantis in 1 month.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ckwongau
    Spoiler for Prototype

Sam said it would take the Prometheus 2 week to reach Planet 584 .

But i don't get it , it takes Daedalus 18 days to reach Pegasus (Episode "Intruder")
    And in S8 "Prometheus unbound" , General Hammond said something about reaching Atlantis in about 2 week or something.

The Asgerd hyperdrive from Thor may not be as fast as the one in Thor's flag ship, i mean Thor's ship can reach Earth from his Galaxy in a bout a minute or two.
    But Prometheus and Daedalus probably has the same type of hyper drive, and how come Prometheus and Daedalus can reach Pegasus Galaxy in about 2 weeks,
    But the time it take Prometheus to reach planet 584 (in Milkyway) almost the same amount of time as reaching Pegasus.

With an Asgard hyperdrive , i would think the X-303 ship can go anywhere within Milkyway and reach destination in about a few hour.

no 2 months

prommie still prolly uses the naquadria generater that's why too

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_the_Wraith
    Bear with me here, its an established Sci Fi convention that gravity affects Hyperdrive technology. Opening Hyperspace windows near suns or on planets becomes if not impossible then very difficult requiring ALOT of power. Also the gravity within a solar system causes the ship to travel much slower.

Now we can from this that once a ship leaves a galaxy its Hyperspace drive becomes much faster because there less gravity than inside the galaxy
    yes that would make a whole lotta sense cuz they said that they were going near a blackhole.

Second Lieutenant AsgardCarnage's Avatar

also gotta remember we are relativly close to the edge of our galaxy, so if u left earth u would hit open space almost right away while to get anywhere in our own galaxy it would be a maze of gravity, black holes and who knows what other things that may effect the speed of hyperspace.

so u maybe be able to leave and go to another galaxy quicker then somewhere that is phsyicaly closer. lets say there is less traffic of the intergalactic highway then on the back streets of the milkyway.

IMO, the difference between travel within the Milky Way and between galaxies is like the difference between a neighborhood street and the Autobahn. You can't go to fast in a neighborhood, there's obstacles, crosstraffic, stops, ect. Get on the Autobahn, and you can go as fast as you can.

In 'Intruder', someone said that they were on the edge of the Pegasus galaxy, and a day away from Atlantis. Now, they had covered three million lightyears of void in under three weeks, why else would it take a day to go something less than four thousand? It probably takes several days to get out of the Milky Way (I've read that our solar system is pretty well situated in the center of the galactic arm), and once out they can really crank up the hyperdrive.

I dunno about it being faster to use hyperspace while traveling through a galaxy than between. Sure, between galaxies there aren't really any objects, but matter travelling through hyperspace doesn't interact with matter in normal space. However, as someone mentioned above, gravitational effects may have to be taken into consideration, so maybe it IS faster to travel in the space between galaxies where these effects are minimized.

But I just like to think that the Daedalus is faster than the Prometheus.

Earth Symbol Re: Hyperdrive speed (Prototype spoiler)

The hyperdrive on the Prometheus was designed by the Asgard for us to use, which in my mind means they dumbed it down for us. Asgard crap is golden to us (comparatively) brain-dead Terrans. The hyperdrive on the Daedalus was designed by the Asgard for us to use with the assistance of an Asgard crewmember, which says to me that it is much more advanced. They kinda say this in "The Intruder," but not quite as suscinctly.

We still don't know which Pegasus Atlantis is in, the one that's 2.5 million lightyears away or the one that's 500,000 lightyears away.

Second Lieutenant AsgardCarnage's Avatar

there are 2 egasus galaxies?

and didn't they say in rising, pegasus is a galaxy in out local group. so prob the 500,000 light year one