Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rank The Episodes-Major spoilers for 9.01-9.10 Inside!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rank The Episodes-Major spoilers for 9.01-9.10 Inside!!

To keep ourselves occupied, and since Season 9 Part 1 is done with, now would be a good time to rank the episodes from favorite to least favorite. Reasons would be good too, instead of this just being another boring topic with lists.

1) Prototype-I ranked this one the best simply because of the great team feeling in the episode. Everyone's acting was up to par, even Lexa Doig somewhat impressed me. This will be one I watch over and over, it's just a shame that Khalek had to die at the end.

2) The Fourth Horseman, Part 1-While this lacked team feeling at parts, it definitely pulls it off better than most of the season. I loved the cliffhanger, I loved the feeling of it, I love Gerak as Prior, and it was great to see Hammond again. The one beef I have is that i don't get to see how it concludes until January. Damn you, sci-fi.

3) Avalon, Part 2-The end of this episode was so powerful for me with Vala burning and everything. Like most of you, I didn't think they'd actually burn her to death. It's the first we see of the Ori, and regardless of what some people think I like them as villians. The musical scores here were excellent, also.

4) The Powers That Be-It was nice to see a softer, more human side of Vala and the end was very unsettling (the same goes for Avalon and TFH1). The Priors creep me out, and this was the first time we got a true sense of what they could do. Vala and Daniel were great. It lacked the team feeling of Prototype and TFH1 and the sheer mouth-droppingness of Avalon, Part 2 though.

5) Beachhead-It was nice to see Sam back and everything, but she didn't get too much of a role here. I liked seeing Vala saving the day, too bad we lost her. Although, I don't think the following episodes would have worked without her. Seeing the Supergate was awesome, and it truly gave us insight into the power of the Ori. Daniel seemed a little off in this episode, and the team feeling was still lacking, though I guess they weren't yet a team. Nerus kicked ass, too.

6) Ex Deus Machina-It was a nice break from the Ori storyline and great to see Ba'al again. The characters were dead on in this episode, and I loved the patch scene. There were a few things I didn't like about it, like the fact that Mitchell still had no development and the team still seemed a little disjointed. Did I say it was awesome seeing Ba'al yet?

7) Origin-I guess it was just hard to follow up Avalon, Part 2. Daniel trying to reason with the Doci was fun, but we never got a true feeling for the threat they posed until The Powers That Be. There were a few good lines, and the moment where Teal'c and Mitchell threw the device through the sploosh, but I definitely liked some of the others better.

8) Avalon, Part 1-A strong enough opener for the season, but it had very little of anyone from SG-1. It's purpose was to introduce Mitchell, and it had its moments, but the episode that followed was truly genius.

9) Babylon-I liked the insight into Mitchell and the whole brothers story, but the rest of SG-1 seemed dry in their efforts to find him. They didn't seem like they were working together and it showed more in Babylon for me than any of the other episodes. I got scared, but the two following episodes proved I had nothing to fear.

10) The Ties That Bind-I understand it was a comical episode, but there was a bit too much Vala and not enough plot. It does have great rewatch value though for the funny lines, especially the Raiders one. It won't go on my list of favorites, though.

And that's all. Until Season 9 Part 2, then. Post away.
    Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
    Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
    Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
    Stargate Destiny, Fan
    Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

I guess I would place them in the following order:

1. The Powers that Be -- I thought this episode had everything that makes a great SG-1 episode. There was teamwork, an alien world, a powerful villian, humor, pathos, and an ending that wasn't wrapped up neat and tidy. I loved the part where Vala cried over her follower and I loved the touches of humor that were woven into the program until the latter part of the episode. I loved that even though it had a 'happy' ending, the team was just beinning to figure out how much trouble they had ahead of them.

2. Avalon, Part 2 -- Whoa! This was such a great episode. I don't really have much to add to what SierraGulf1 has already said. The interaction between Daniel and Vala was much better in this episode than in Avalon, Part 1.

3. Origin -- I had a very hard time placing my top eight episodes; they are all bunched up together in terms of where I would place them. Origin gave such a great introduction to the Ori and all of the implications of what a challenge they are going to be to our happy little band. I loved Daniel's growing realization of just how difficult a time is coming. I loved Landry's "I had a grandma, too." line. And Dr. Lee! How can you not love Dr. Lee?

4. Babylon -- I really enjoyed the pacing of this episode. I loved the village of the Sodan and Mitchell's training and time with them. The way he tried to persuade them and how he knew just how far to push it; the way he threw himself into the training; and using his obvious love of pop culture to come up with a way out of his situation. It was a thoroughly enjoyable episode.

5. Beachhead -- This was one of those great technobabble episodes. I do think that Daniel wasn't quite true to his normal character here, but perhaps, in the light of what Vala has put him through, that is understandable. It seems to me that Mitchell and Sam feed off each other when it comes to attacking the solving of a problem. I also really enjoyed the Prometheus and crew. Stargate realy does have some great recurring supporting characters. And wow, how about that supergate? And kudos to Vala for figuring out how to thwart it and not sitting around dithering on how to get it done. I'm glad they left it open for her return, even though I've had mixed feelings about her character.

6. Prototype -- My, that actor playing Khalek was something else! To go from bewildered to menacing in just seconds was phenomenal. This was a great team episode and, unlike some, I really enjoy that there is no dominant person on the SG-1 team. Everyone contributes, sometimes even outside of their specialty, and the job gets done with no egos in the way. I loved the ending--I so did not see that coming and I was wondering what they were going to do about this seemingly unstoppable foe.

7. The Ties that Bind -- Oh now this was an episode of eye candy for everyone! Tealc in a suit! Daniel & Mitchell in leather! Vala in....well, whatever! Something for everyone. Well, enough of the shallow stuff. Umm--maybe not! I guess this was an episode of shallow fun, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the running around everyone had to do for this particular scavenger hunt. Wallace Shawn was just marvelous. I realize other shows have done it, and I think Stargate pulled it off just fine. Plus, there was a lot of groundwork laid for future episodes (the Lucian Alliance, for example) and some continuation for past episodes (Prometheus Unbound). It was a fun romp! And Dr. Lee--I love Dr. Lee, can you tell?

8. The Fourth Horseman, Part 1 -- I know this is far down on my list, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. As I said, I had a very hard time putting the episodes in favorite order. The WORST part is that it is a cliff-hanger. It moved so fast, I couldn't believe it was over when the 'to be continued' came on the screen. It was nice to see Hammond again (for however short a time). Everyone seemed to be involved in this one. I love General Landry and I like Dr. Lam. And I think the team is coming along nicely. I love the slow way that tptb have inserted Mitchell into the show. It seems more realistic somehow, that he would take a while to gel with the others and find his place on the team. And Dr. Lee--don't you just love Dr. Lee?

9. Ex Deus Machina -- Oh I am such a Ba'al fan! This was very, very nice. It didn't hold up as well regarding the overall arc of the season, but it was a great stand-alone episode. It seemed like everyone was running around trying to get a handle on things only to have the ground cut out from beneath them. They got it done in the end--but, oh, that ending scene! Ba'als for everyone! It's nice to know he might be back--he was one of the better goauld's as far as characterization goes.

10. Avalon, Part 1 -- This was the one episode of the season that was just kind of meh for me. I think it would have been a lot better if it could have been shown with Part 2 right after. I guess with Daniel and Tealc being the only ones left from last season, it would have been difficult at best to have a great episode right out of the box. I liked the new characters right away, but you couldn't help but miss the ones who were no longer there.

Anyway, that's my take on the season so far!
    Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 19 September 2005, 08:24 AM.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Nice choices.

=warmbeachbrat]This was the one episode of the season that was just kind of meh for me. I think it would have been a lot better if it could have been shown with Part 2 right after.
      I agree. Avalon 2 would have enhanced part 1 greatly. They should have done the whole double episode thing at the beginning, but I'm happy we didn't now because of what we got last night.

I had trouble placing a lot of them too, but I knew my two tops and two bottoms. But even TTTB and B, my two bottom ones, were done nicely.
      Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

I was noodling around the season nine forum and was looking at the post count on the season nine episodes; I wonder if it means anything:

1. Avalon, Part 1 - 371 posts, 15,979 page views
        2. Beachhead - 328 posts, 14,704 page views
        3. Avalon, Part 2 - 279 posts, 10,487 page views
        4. The Powers that Be - 271 posts, 9,282 page views
        5. The Ties that Bind - 265 posts, 8,623 page views
        6. Origin - 247 posts, 11,995 page views
        7. Ex Deus Machina - 242 posts, 10,440 page views
        8. Babylon - 238 posts, 8,251 page views
        9. The Fourth Horseman, Part 1 - 84 posts, 3,891 page views
        10. Prototype - 73 posts, 3,055 page views

I'm figuring that of course the last two will gain more posts and views over the next week and Avalon, part 1 has the most, both because it was the season opener and because it's been around the longest. I AM surprised that Origin is not higher and not at all surprised that Beachhead is high on the list. Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to see these statistics.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Comment

1) The Fourth Horseman, Part 1
          2) Beachhead
          3) Prototype
          4) Ex Deus Machina
          5) Avalon, Part 2
          6) The Ties That Bind
          7) Origin
          8) Avalon, Part 1
          9) The Powers That Be
          10) Babylon
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think the post counts of the topics have much to do with it though, as a lot of them could be whini-I mean critisism about the episode in question.
            Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

This is harder than I thought because I have really enjoyed the season so far.
              I don't dislike any of them.

1. Prototype

2. Avalon 2

3. The Powers that Be

4. The Fourth Horseman

5. Avalon 1

6. Origin

7. Babylon

8. The Ties that Bind

9. Beachhead

10. Ex Deus Machina
              Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Origin
                The Ties That Bind
                The Powers That Be
                Beachhead
                Avalon, part 2
                Beachhead
                Prototype
                Avalon, part 1
                Ex Deus Machina
                Babylon

Comment

Well depends on how you look at it.. Here is my take.. The first 3 ep have to be seen as 1, so here is goes
                  1) Avalon part 1.. Avalon part 2....Origin
                  2) The power that be
                  3) prototype
                  4) The Fourth Horseman
                  5) Babylon
                  6) Ex Deus Machina
                  7) Beachhead
                  8) The ties that bind

Comment

1. Prototype
                    2. Avalon 2
                    3. Ex Deus Machina
                    4. The Fourth Horseman
                    5. The Powers That Be
                    6. Beachhead
                    7. Origin
                    8. Babylon
                    9. Avalon 1
                    10. The Ties That Bind

Comment

Babylon
                      Avalon I
                      Avalon II
                      The Ties that Bind
                      Prototype
                      Beachhead
                      The Fourth Horseman
                      Origin
                      The Powers that Be
                      Deus Ex Machina

Comment

1) Avalon Parts 1 and 2 and Origin were really a trilogy, so I’ll treat them as the best so far this year because on the whole they were great! We got intro’d to Mitchell (which I really liked, puzzles, sword fights and enthusiasm! WooHoo!), met the Ori (who are a little black hat for me so far), welcomed back and burned Vala (with very powerful scenes from Daniel and Vala)

2) Prototype- I enjoyed the team feeling. I like that they spent time talking to each other rather than spouting information at each other. And they seemed to be concentrated on one particular thing most of the time instead of running all over the place. As I said, I usually like my villains a little more complex and Khalek was a black hat villain, but with the way they set up Anubis he would have to be.

4) The Ties That Bind - Lots of fun and Wallace Shawn’s finger puppets were just disturbing on so many levels.

3) Babylon – I loved the Mitchell side of the story line (even though it was a pretty stock story), but the SGC side of the story felt…unfocused by comparison.

4) The Fourth Horseman, Part 1- It felt like part two of a trilogy instead of part 1 of 2 (which usually indicates a lull). I didn’t feel invested in the plague, figured Garak as a Prior weeks before and lost some of that team feeling. But it did build on the rest of the season so far and set up the second half of the season.

5) The Powers That Be- Loved that they were getting their butts kicked (and didn’t miraculously win at the end, they had to surrender). Enjoyed Daniel chafing against the yoke. Finally got to see another layer of Vala’s character.

6) Beachhead

7) Ex Deus Machina

Comment

Meh! LEt us see.

1) Origin - Y'know, so many people complain season 7 was too dark. Dark's fine. Dark's good. Origin was probably the darkest episode so far. We learn what we're up agaisnt, we see where it's going to lead us... I loved it to bits, and honestly weren't glued that much to the screen for ages. Scene to nail this episode - Daniel and the Docii. Well, that and the last Daniel-Jack scene. I know a lot of people hated it. I really thought it was a great moment. "I'm scared." "I'm hungry."

2)The Ties That Bind - one of the funnier episodes I've yet to see. (And I completley adore Vala, so.) Galactic quests are always a good thing, especially when they include Shawn Wallace. And that monk guy, Caius. scene to nail this episode - Daniel and Vala in Daniel's room. "Are you messing with me?!"

3)Avalon 2 - Despite being a tad bit problematic, mainly due to being half Avalon 1, half Origin, it had some beautiful moments. Puzzles, quest, I adore Lam so she was great there too, and a bunch of creepifying religious zealots. scene of hte episode - not as much Vala burning, but Daniel hugging her afterwards.

4)Avalon 1 - New season. ALways a reason to jump happily, especially that even when the season itself sucked, the season premiere was always a good one. Poor Mitchell trying to get the band back together, Vala's insanities... sweet. Scene of the episode - "can you tell me which way teh Stargate is... Cha'apa ai!"

5) Beach Head - Squee, Sam's back. I've had issues with her for season 8, too much shipping for my taste, but she came back just at the exact moment when she was needed, she made hte great contribution - oh, and we got to see a silly physicaly-impossible black hole and supergate. The Goa'uld guy was funny as hell, too. Scene for the episode I thought about it for a bit, and ended up actually with the Goa'uld. The speech he gives - "When you put me to death, I shall ascend" etc etc... When you think about it, it's also creepifying, what the Goa'uld were as indication to what's to become when they succumb so freely to the Orii.

6)Prototype - Yeah, I've already argued about this episode enough IMHO, so I'll just mutter I enjoyed it, really enjoyed. Which was a surprise for me cos I expected it to be another Resurretion.

7)The Powers That Be - Started completely and utterly silly, ended up with a fantastic confrontation with the Orii. To make a good, believable bad guy you have to start losing, big time. That was always my problem with the Goa'uld. SG1 never properly lost in their battles. They had small victories and big victories, but there was never - maybe because it escalated too fast, too soon - the moment they lost. With the Orii, they lose. And that makes such a fantastic villain. Scene for the episode would be the last one - "Tell others what you have seen."

8)Fourth Horseman - Yay! Doomsday scenario! Eek. Great set up for later. I'm actually quite partial to what's gonna happen in part 2, because obviously the entire human population isn'g going to die of a plague, so... winning too much, too soon? But so far the episode has had great set up for the "we all gonna die" bit. Cameron Bright annoyed me a bit, tho.

9)Babylon - Right, I've never watched The LAst Samurai and maybe that was my ability to enjoy this episode.. Predictable as hell, but it still was very amusing, had some beautiful moments, and Mitchell is starting to distinguish himself as not Crichton. Basically, great chemistry with everyone BB worked with, which contributed a lot. Best moment for me was "you're an evil man."

10) Ex Deus Machina. Okay, I love Ba'al. He's the best Goa'uld out there, by far. He has style. (cough, not to mention Cliff Simon. I love his acccent.) And the idea of Ba'al hiding on Earth and posing as a businessman is a very enchanting one. Ther'es a limit, however, to how much ******** I can take in one episode. T'was mainly ridiculous... it wasn't that bad, I know I'm over-doing it, but, y'know, I'm supposed to be rolling on the floor laughing with episodes like Ties that Bind because of the jokes, not Ex Deus Machina because of how ridiculous the story is.

All in all, I've never seen a season with this nuber of excellent episodes one after the other. If this continues to the second half, season 9 might as well become my favourite.
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Hmmmm--this thread hasn't seen any activity in a while. I thought I'd update my list (only the second half eps have reasons; my first half eps' reasons are in post #2 of this thread):

1. The Powers That Be
                            2. Avalon Part Two
                            3. Origin
                            4. Ripple Effect - I would almost say that this was the best of the season, except the power and emotional resonance of The Powers That Be, Avalon, Part Two, and Origin set them apart. This is a worthy accompaniment to Window of Opportunity. And my top four episodes of Season Nine are Stargate at its best.
                            5. Babylon
                            6. Beachhead
                            7. Prototype
                            8. Stronghold - I would have ranked this higher, but I didn't feel the two plots meshed as well as they could have. On the other hand, it did give us insight into some of Cam's actions as well as some nice Sam/Cam interaction. And, of course, more Ba'al.
                            9. Collateral Damage - I'm having the same problem I had when first posting my list; I loved so many that I'm having a hard time ranking them. This was a great Mitchell episode with some really good team moments. It was quite a departure from Stargate's usual style, but I think they pulled it off nicely.
                            10. Off the Grid - More Ba'al! And great moments between Landry/Nerus, Cam/Teal'c, Ba'al/Nerus; not to mention some really funny lines and moments ("You three are equidistant" "Mary Poppins"). The action and running around on the Goau'ld ship was a welcome revisiting of earlier seasons.
                            11. Ethon - I really did like Icon and thought this was a worthy successor to it--indeed I feel it surpassed Icon. I hate downbeat endings, though.
                            12. The Ties that Bind
                            13. The Fourth Horseman Part One
                            14. Ex Deus Machina
                            15. The Fourth Horseman Part Two - I just wasn't all that excited about this one. It had many nice moments and wrapped up the cliffhanger, but it's not one of my favorites.
                            16. Avalon Part One

These four to go:
                            The Scourge
                            Arthur’s Mantle
                            Crusade
                            Camelot

Just trying to get a jumpstart on ranking my episodes for the "Best of Seasons 1-9" Tourney!

Comment

Working...
                            X