This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kara Thrace's big Military Assets

During KLG I, Starbuck disappeared from the fleet on a unauthorized covert op to Caprica, taking with her a significant military asset, the captured Cylon Raider, with enhanced FTL capabilities and a precious IFF device that would allow her craft to escape detection from other Cylon targets.

As you know, this op percipitated the rift between Adama and Roslin, which had many costly repercussions. In her return, Kara brought back five very significant Military assets: The Arrow of Apollo, the large Cylon attack vessel, Caprica Sharon, Karl Agathon (Helo), and herself.

We've already seen the utility of the Arrow of Apollo in Home II.
    Caprica Sharon proved her usefulness in finding the Tomb of Athena and foiling (the admitedly hapless) plot against the Adamas. She is the one that is technically responsible for the capture of the "heavy" Cylon raider, but it took Kara's hail to bring it home in one piece. Sharon's future value for providing insight into Cylon mentality and capabilities are unknown, as are the ramifications of the birth of her child.

Karl Agathon is a "hardened" Cylon-fighter, a trained and skilled soldier, and is the only one (aside from the baby) who can mitigate the safety of keeping Caprica Sharon with the fleet.

To what further use should the assests best be applied?
    • The "heavy" Cylon raider must have enhanced FTL capabilities since it could make the jump from Caprica to Kobol
    • It is well armed, as we saw in "The Farm" and can carry at least a couple of passengers
    • The new raider, very likely has another IFF device to escape detection

The new Raider has many potential tactical uses, including the following:
    • Raiding sorties to aid the Resistence efforts on Caprica
    • More BaseStar demolition missions
    • Gallactica to BaseStar Boarding parties, reversing the scenario of "Valley of Darkness"

What are some of your ideas about the best way to use the captured Cylon raider?

How should Caprica Sharon be interrogated? Do the gloves come off after the child is born?

How can Helo transcend the natural suspicions of his comrades and leverage the experiences on Caprica to better provide for the fleet's survival?

What about Kara herself. She's already proven to be an expert tactician, pilot, sniper, interrogator, and is only the second known person to defeat a human-looking Cylon in hand-to-hand combat (the first being Adama at Ragnar, battling a radiation weakened Leoban). Should she be in charge of Caprica Sharon's interrogation (as she was for Leoban's)? Should she be entrusted to fly the new Cylon heavy raider, after knowingly absquatulating with the light raider?
    Last edited by anotherquestion; 12 September 2005, 11:39 PM. Reason: Breaking up the lists

Season 2 SPOILERS for aired episodes so I’m just going to toss it all in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
    I have a feeling the heavy raider won’t last long. It gives them more of an advantage and expands their options. I wouldn’t say it is exactly on par with say having SG-1 be in possession of a sarcophagus, but I somewhat equate it with that.

With the expanded FTL range, it makes sense that they would at least consider using it to jump to Caprica or other planets of the colonies to conduct supply raids, rescue survivors, etc. If they have the ability to jump around like that, to me it somewhat lessens the peril of the fleet. They are supposed to be cut off from their past existence, and the raider makes it too tempting to revisit it, imo.

I don’t know. I just don’t see it lasting very long as part of the show.

Wonder what they did with the heavy raider that crashed into the flight pod. I know it was heavily damaged, but I doubt they just shoved it all back out into space.
    How can Helo transcend the natural suspicions of his comrades and leverage the experiences on Caprica to better provide for the fleet's survival?
    Denounce Sharon. But I doubt that will happen. I’m not sure too many people would look favorably on him if they knew how vigorously he has defended her. The crew/fleet has yet to learn of her existence on Galactica, but that’s not going to last long. I especially can’t see how they plan to keep Zarek quite about her.

Helo will definitely have to regain peoples’ trust, including Adama’s. Not quite sure how easy that will be.
    Should [Kara] be in charge of Caprica Sharon's interrogation (as she was for Leoban's)?
    Probably not. She has too many conflicting feeling regarding Sharon. They need to get Roslin in there to do that. She seems to have her ways to get Cylons to talk. Plus she isn’t emotionally tied to Sharon like so many of the other main characters. You could put Tigh in there but the only thing he knows how to do is beat the crap out of prisoners.
    Should [Kara] be entrusted to fly the new Cylon heavy raider, after knowingly absquatulating with the light raider?
    Hmm, I’m not sure. I think she seemed to be rather insistent on going back to Caprica. There's that whole Anders thing...... If Adama tells her no, she might be impulsive enough to take it upon herself, even though she had different reasons for betraying him the first time. Though I doubt she piloted the heavy raider back to Kobol, but she could probably figure it out. I think she can be trusted, but there is always that possibility.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
      I have a feeling the heavy raider won’t last long. It gives them more of an advantage and expands their options.

With the expanded FTL range, it makes sense that they would at least consider using it to jump to Caprica or other planets of the colonies to conduct supply raids, rescue survivors, etc. If they have the ability to jump around like that, to me it somewhat lessens the peril of the fleet. They are supposed to be cut off from their past existence, and the raider makes it too tempting to revisit it, imo.
      Spoiler:
      They're definitely going back to Caprica, you just know that Cain's going to reveal something she did and chose to leave behind, and the RTF will chose to look for more survivors, and perhaps additional ordnance at the various shipyards. The Scorpion shipyards may not have been completely destroyed.

Heck, they might even take Caprica Sharon with them, as she may have information on Cylon occupational installations and arms stockpiles. And, more importantly, I think the RTF will clue in to the Cylon's plan, soon enough, and set their sights on stopping the Cylons from achieving genesis with their captured human incubators.

My point is (I so often lose it) that I think that we'll see the Heavy Raider in dangerous scouting missions, it's aeons ahead of the raptor in terms of range, armour, armament, and, most likely, has greater passenger/cargo space.

Wonder what they did with the heavy raider that crashed into the flight pod. I know it was heavily damaged, but I doubt they just shoved it all back out into space.
      I'm also curious as to the state of the museum. You'd think that they might get around to cleaning it up. The fleet needs space to live (imagine living in the same passenger plane for the rest of your life) and the flight pod could be converted to some other use if they don't intend to use it as a flight deck.

[EDIT] It is a military vessel, but the fleet appears to be short on agricultural vessels, and the flight pod might do for a makeshift hydroponics bay.

It also makes me wonder how wrecked the museum was from the crash of the H.Raider.
      Last edited by MASON; 19 November 2005, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Having the heavy raider definitely lends itself to expanding the storyline. I wouldn’t be totally opposed to them going back to Caprica – that’s speculation on my part since I’m trying to avoid spoilers. Key word trying…not necessarily succeeding. I just wouldn’t want it to be something they could always fall back on to get out of a jam. I’m not really happy with some of the choices over on Stargate: Atlantis. SGA first half of S2
        Spoiler:
        The Daedalus shows up to save the city and now it’s no big deal that Atlantis is in another galaxy cause they just use that ship to zip back and forth between Earth. In my opinion that diminished the story somewhat. Atlantis is no longer isolated, which was part of the appeal of season 1.

So the raider could open up other directions for the show if they use it wisely.

Originally posted by MASON
        I'm also curious as to the state of the museum. You'd think that they might get around to cleaning it up. The fleet needs space to live (imagine living in the same passenger plane for the rest of your life) and the flight pod could be converted to some other use if they don't intend to use it as a flight deck.
        I know. That has to get old, especially with about zero privacy and the ability to get “away” from people. But even if Galactica did repair the pod, I seriously doubt Adama would allow civilians to inhabit it. I know they allow civilians on board the ship…why I’m not sure (like the time Doral got on and blew himself up) They would be security risks and would have to be supervised. Plus I’m not too sure, I’d want to live in it if the only thing between me and space is a glass window. (Yeah, I’m sure it’s a little more than that but still…. Maybe that's just me.)

I agree they will eventually have to convert it for a more practical use otherwise that's a waste of space.

It also makes me wonder how wrecked the museum was from the crash of the H.Raider.
        Yeah, did the toaster from TOS in the display case survive?
        IMO always implied.

Comment

There are several options for the right pod:
          • Convert it back to full operational status
          • Make it a repair/dry dock facility. Colonial One fits inside, so other ships of similar size can get needed repairs and upgrades.
          • Heavy Manufacturing Facility - new and replacement parts, equipment, weapons, missiles, ammo, and/or build new ships/fighters/raptors/ground vehicles/etc. Raw materials can be salvaged from battles with the Cylons and reused. If the Colonials start making babies, room will run out fast in the RTF.
          • As mentioned before, grow food there and/or raise eatable animals. Medicinal plants and herbs could be grown too.
          • Storage area for any food, supplies, and raw materials gathered from various planets/moons/etc. Does the right pod still have water tanks?
          • Chemical plant.
          • any combinations of the above.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
            There are several options for the right pod:
            [list][*]Convert it back to full operational status[*]Make it a repair/dry dock facility. Colonial One fits inside, so other ships of similar size can get needed repairs and upgrades.[*]Heavy Manufacturing Facility - new and replacement parts, equipment, weapons, missiles, ammo, and/or build new ships/fighters/raptors/ground vehicles/etc. Raw materials can be salvaged from battles with the Cylons and reused. If the Colonials start making babies, room will run out fast in the RTF.
            I'd really like to see the Celestra (electronics science vessel) and one of the foundry ships, start supplying the Galactica with new fighters. It's feasable that they could supply the unfinished parts, ship them to the Galactica, where they could be assembled in the unused flight pod. It would at least be in keeping with a military use, so Adama would be more likely to approve it.
            Last edited by MASON; 20 November 2005, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Having the heavy raider definitely lends itself to expanding the storyline. I wouldn’t be totally opposed to them going back to Caprica – that’s speculation on my part since I’m trying to avoid spoilers. Key word trying…not necessarily succeeding. I just wouldn’t want it to be something they could always fall back on to get out of a jam. I’m not really happy with some of the choices over on Stargate: Atlantis. SGA first half of S2
              No, I wouldn't want that either, a skeleton key ship destroys the drama of the show, it would likely be a one off mission, you're right. But it looks like it will come in handy.

RE: avoiding spoilers
              I read too much the other day, by accident, only a few lines, but it was because there was no spoiler warning on the thread or spoiler tags in the post. I should really give them some red for that, but I don't want to venture back into that thread, lest I read more spoilers.

Plus I’m not too sure, I’d want to live in it if the only thing between me and space is a glass window. (Yeah, I’m sure it’s a little more than that but still…. Maybe that's just me.)
              How did the museum survive the nuclear blasts of the miniseries!?!?!

Yeah, did the toaster from TOS in the display case survive?
              You read my mind.

Comment

Working...
              X