This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Featherweight Singularity

From what I've gathered through watching both Stargate Sg-1 and Atlantis, ZPM's are powered by an artificial singularity. Just like the way a black hole would provide power for the gate to keep it open indefinitely, a smaller version of a blackhole, a singularity, would provide energy to whatever you're powering.
    I don't have any doctorates, degrees, or diplomas in physics or astronomy, and I haven't read any books dealing with theories that concern subjects such as these, so I might need some help with defining a singularity and what not. Basically (I think), its so dense and has so much mass that it's gravity sucks light and everything else into it just like a blackhole, so obviously it is very heavy. My point is, how can you just walk into a room and pick up a ZPM like it's a five pound weight? Or does the word "artificial" have something to with it? If it does, I'm obviously going to ask for a theory on what makes this "artificial" singularity so light and non-destructive, needless to say also, how would you make it.
    -Have fun...
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

A ZPM has an artifically created little universe inside of it. The power is drawn from the zero point fluctuations in that universe. The goal of project Arcturus (sp?) was to draw power directly from our universes's zero point fluctuations. There isn't a black hole or anything, just a pocket of subspace time.
    Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

i belive it is powerd by a vacum as for its density i have no clue and its mass be to large cause ur right they pick it up like its a peice of paper

A Z.P.M. derives its enormous power from vacuum energy, derived from a self-contained region of subspace time, and has a potential life of many millions of years.

Comment

Thank you very much. That clears things up.
        1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Also, a singularity isn't just a mini black hole. All black holes contain a singularity.

Comment

If you want to read up on it some more, Wikipedia has an article on Zero Point Energy.

-IMF
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tain
              Also, a singularity isn't just a mini black hole. All black holes contain a singularity.
              So, before a black hole becomes a black hole it has to become a singularity? Right? So do singularities not stay just singularities for very long because they start pulling everything in around them and thus become a black hole?
              So, does anyone have somewhat of an idea as to how you would make a ZPM?
              P.S.- I am very glad I was wrong, and that this is not a plot hole, because it would have been a bad one, and very annoying.
              1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
                So, before a black hole becomes a black hole it has to become a singularity? Right? So do singularities not stay just singularities for very long because they start pulling everything in around them and thus become a black hole?
                So, does anyone have somewhat of an idea as to how you would make a ZPM?
                P.S.- I am very glad I was wrong, and that this is not a plot hole, because it would have been a bad one, and very annoying.
                Singularities are points of infinite density. Black holes like a whole package deal. The have an accretion disk, a singularity and a event horizon. Singularities are found almost all the time inside of a black hole, but recently they've found that singularities can be naked.

Singularities won't suck up everything around them. If our sun for some reason became a singularity, nothing in the solar system would care, it only has the same gravitational pull as it did before. The amount of mass there is nto different, its just in a much denser form.
                Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

Originally posted by ColdZero
                  The have an accretion disk, a singularity and a event horizon.
                  What's an accretion disk?
                  Originally posted by ColdZero
                  Singularities are found almost all the time inside of a black hole, but recently they've found that singularities can be naked.
                  We don't want a whole bunch of NAKED singularities running around our universe. Or do we? Hmmm...fascinating, indeed.
                  1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
                    What's an accretion disk?
                    Wikipedia to the rescue again.

-IMF
                    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                      Cool, thanx. I read all of it plus some other links on that page.
                      1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Lol, the accretion disk, put simply, is the part of the black hole that we can see, all that matter spiraling in.

Owen Macri

Comment

Ok, this is my theory for a ZPM.

The planck mass is somewhere around 2.176 45 x 10-8 kg. This can be said to be the most matter you can put into a quantum unit of space, which is (1.616 24 x 10-35 m )^3. That is pretty dense, so there must be VERY efficient inertial dampeners in the ZPM. now, even if there is on 10 cm^3 of 'artificial universe' to extract energy from, that would give (according to E=mc^2) 4.6331093218608832677775510310323 x 10^110 Joules of energy... which is A LOT of turkey sandwiches!!!!

At least that is what I think, anyone else get a different answer, I rushed it?

The Ultimate Tech thread, for more discussions on FTL, ZPE, and pie

Relativity Q & A - Got questions? Want answers? Me too, but i got some answers too

Click this link to visit the place for my ideas and experiments to hide

Comment

as fascinating as this all sounds... I'm wondering how the lowest energy level would work better then a higher energy level. I'm sorry... I'm still foggy on that.
                            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

i dont no ether

Comment

Working...
                              X