This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Doctor Who (Contains SPOILERS)

I'm starting this thread for anyone who wants to discuss the classic Doctor Who series (1963 to 1989) and the movie (1996), without reading spoilers for the new series that started in 2005.

Doctor Who was my all-time favorite show. I grew up watching it, so if anyone wants to share their thoughts on the classic series, I eagerly await your comments

It can also be a very confusing series to jump into. If anyone has any questions about it, fire away.

If you want to discuss the flaws of the show; well, that's part of the fun of watching it, too. But, please let's avoid outright bashing on this thread, so we all can enjoy ourselves here.

[EDIT: I just started posting Trivia Questions about the classic series starting with Post# 221.
    --D.A.S.P., October 12, 2005]

DISCLAIMER
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01: The purpose of this thread is to enthusiastically discuss the Classic Doctor Who series which was produced from 1963 to 1989 and the 1996 T.V. movie. This should be self-evident.

02: Where criticism of the classic series is welcome, please keep in mind the purpose of this thread is for people who enjoy the classic series and want to discuss it. This thread is not for people who wish to express their disinterest in the classic series, nor is it for people who do not want to discuss it. You would think that would be self-evident as well.

03: Please be aware that this thread is heavily policed by another forum member, so we are all expected to adhere to the letter of the forum rules. Technically, it is possible that this disclaimer is also against the rules, in which case, please disregard it.

04: This thread may contain spoilers, so by reading this thread, you risk being spoiled. I recommend reading with your eyes closed.

05: Please read the starting post of this thread in order to understand the topic. In the event you have overlooked this disclaimer, please refer to the next disclaimer item.

06: Go back and read the previous disclaimer item.

07: In the event you have overlooked this disclaimer item, please send me a private message indicating this.

If you think these disclaimers are absurd, consider that I would not have written them if it had not become necessary. By reading this disclaimer, you absolve me from all fault and agree to accept all blame.

Well, not quite yet. It only goes into effect after you read this sentence. Too late. You read it.

Oh, the irony. You never read license agreements, warranties, and disclaimers of any kind, but you were curious. Your curiosity doomed you. And it is all because you read the disclaimer statement. You know…the previous paragraph.

I made you look at it again!

Okay, how can I possibly track what you read? Telepathy.

What? You don’t believe me. Send me a private message and I will prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I can not believe you just fell for that.

---D.A.S.P. November 15, 2005.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 14 November 2005, 09:09 PM.

The Horror of Fang Rock and The Mind Robber are being released on DVD in the U.S. this coming week.

What Doctor Who episodes would you like to see released next on DVD? Personally, I'd like to see The Time Meddler, The Dominators, and Inferno.

Comment

Personally, I into the New Doctor Who, If it want to watch the Classic, I would just watch clips from the BBC site.
      sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, they aren't showing them in the U.S. yet. I waited 16 years for the show to come back, and now I gotta wait some more, while the rest of the world gets to see it.

Well, at least I have tapes of the classic series.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
          Unfortunately, they aren't showing them in the U.S. yet. I waited 16 years for the show to come back, and now I gotta wait some more, while the rest of the world gets to see it.

Well, at least I have tapes of the classic series.
          I loved the original series. Every last bit of it (well, except a couple of stinkers... no show is perfect), and every Doctor. I came late to it, only 2 years before the Doctor took off for parts unknown, but I caught the rest in reairings. Wish I could see more of Troughton's work, but alas, that's just not to be.

I'm in the States, just like you, but I have seen the new series. If you are tired of waiting for the new series, you can purchase the Region 2 DVD's. Region free players aren't as uncommon as you'd think, and some are actually pretty reasonably priced. www.doctorwhostore.com sells at least the first 2 discs in the States. Or you can order from www.amazon.co.uk They do cost a bit, but it's worth it.

-IMF
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
            I loved the original series. Every last bit of it (well, except a couple of stinkers... no show is perfect), and every Doctor. I came late to it, only 2 years before the Doctor took off for parts unknown, but I caught the rest in reairings. Wish I could see more of Troughton's work, but alas, that's just not to be.
            Yeah, and I loved Troughton's Doctor, too.

I'm in the States, just like you, but I have seen the new series. If you are tired of waiting for the new series, you can purchase the Region 2 DVD's. Region free players aren't as uncommon as you'd think, and some are actually pretty reasonably priced. www.doctorwhostore.com sells at least the first 2 discs in the States. Or you can order from www.amazon.co.uk They do cost a bit, but it's worth it.

-IMF
            They were supposed to release them in the U.S. if the series wasn't picked up by November. I'll have to look for a region free player. But don't I need a television with PAL input?

Well, I'll wait for a little while longer, then I'll probably wind up caving in. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
              But don't I need a television with PAL input?
              Nope. The content is in MPEG2, like all DVD content. The output to NTSC is handled by the player. I have the first 2 DVD's from the set, and have played it on my player: The Cyberhome 300s. It plays just fine, except that the Play All function on the first disc doesn't work properly, cutting off the teasers. Disc 2 plays perfectly.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I am very fond of the classic series (well, whatever I've seen of it anyway)... and my favourite Doctor would have to Jon Pertwee. Still I liked most of them, as they each brought something to the character. I have yet to see Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy in action... but we should see them soon in Oz. Unfortunately, in the case of Troughton, I've barely seen enough of his doctor to make a proper judgement. Most of his episodes have either been destroyed or gone AWOL...

We're very fortunate here in Oz that our public station owns the broadcasting rights to Dr Who and has done the intelligent thing by broadcasting both the reruns and the new series at a decent hour of the day. Can't say the same for the networks that broadcasts Stargate and BSG...
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

The origina Doctor who had some wacked-out theme songs (plus a few of them brought into question how the makers were 'recreating') and some cheesy plots, but whats cool about the classic series is th echeese is pretty much melted through the whole thing so you get used to it.
                  You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
                  And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

I like this, very nice Classic. Don't know if has been mentioned yet but Australia has been seeing the Classic series from the first William Hartnell ep to the current Peter Davison eps. I am pretty sure EL that the ABC will screen the Colin and Sylvester series too, well I hope so because I did love SM and Ace.

Comment

I'm bracing myself for the "dreadful" Perri...
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Nope. The content is in MPEG2, like all DVD content. The output to NTSC is handled by the player. I have the first 2 DVD's from the set, and have played it on my player: The Cyberhome 300s. It plays just fine, except that the Play All function on the first disc doesn't work properly, cutting off the teasers. Disc 2 plays perfectly.

-IMF
                        Thanks, I've been waiting to ask someone who had practical experience with this. What you've said makes absolute sense and confirms my suspicion that many folks I spoke with in the past had no clue. I kept reading advice from "experts" saying I needed a PAL television and I had trouble believing that. I looked online and those region free players are pretty cheap, so this is within my budget.

Thank again.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                          I am very fond of the classic series (well, whatever I've seen of it anyway)... and my favourite Doctor would have to Jon Pertwee.
                          I loved watching the Doctor & Jo, but my favorite Pertwee episode was Inferno.
                          Still I liked most of them, as they each brought something to the character. I have yet to see Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy in action... but we should see them soon in Oz.
                          Well, I enjoyed most of their episodes, but I'll confine myself to that. Don't want to spoil.
                          Unfortunately, in the case of Troughton, I've barely seen enough of his doctor to make a proper judgement. Most of his episodes have either been destroyed or gone AWOL...
                          Have you seen the episodes from the Lost in Time collection or the surviving Ice Warrior and Invasion episodes on VHS?

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
                            The origina Doctor who had some wacked-out theme songs (plus a few of them brought into question how the makers were 'recreating') and some cheesy plots, but whats cool about the classic series is th echeese is pretty much melted through the whole thing so you get used to it.
                            It was definitely part of the show's charm. Unfortunately, I don't think many of today's audience would have much patience for the classic series, because of the production values. I love watching the DVDs because they often give you the choice of viewing the story with updated effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                              I like this, very nice Classic. Don't know if has been mentioned yet but Australia has been seeing the Classic series from the first William Hartnell ep to the current Peter Davison eps. I am pretty sure EL that the ABC will screen the Colin and Sylvester series too, well I hope so because I did love SM and Ace.
                              "Ace, hand me some of that nitro-9 you're not carrying."

Comment

Working...
                              X