This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nanites/Nanocytes/Nanobots?

What's they difference between nanites, nanocytes, and nanobots? I know, they are microscopic mechanical lifeforms that infest the brain, and eat up your brain. They're kinda like microscopic replicators. But, in Brief Candle, they call 'em nanocytes. In Learning Curve, they call 'em nanites. In Proving Ground, they call 'em nanobots.

So, what's the correct term?
    sigpic
    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson
    What's they difference between nanites, nanocytes, and nanobots? I know, they are microscopic mechanical lifeforms that infest the brain, and eat up your brain. They're kinda like microscopic replicators. But, in Brief Candle, they call 'em nanocytes. In Learning Curve, they call 'em nanites. In Proving Ground, they call 'em nanobots.

So, what's the correct term?
    they are all the same thing, just different names.

Comment

They're all the same. Nanites are the correct term I believe. As it was the first name they were given.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

nanocytes are not the same as nanobots. Nanocytes were microscopic robots which took over specific functions in the occupants blood chemisty, hence their different name.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

And what are nanobots?

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

One would assume more general purpose nanotech robots.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Yes, I would have to agree, if you want to talk about such robots more generalized, you should use nanobots. Seeing as the word is a conjunction of nano and robot, a nanorobot, a robot that works on a nanite scale, nanobot.

Owen Macri

Comment

Nanites are the common name for both the nanotechnology assembler and the nanotechnology computer. First theorized in 1959 by Dr. Richard Feynman in his now-classic lecture There's Plenty Of Room At The Bottom, nanotechnology was first seen as one of the ultimate developments of man's technological heritage. Such machines could assemble anything that was needed in a relatively short time, then easily disassemble the same object and recycle the materials into another object, and a nanotech "doctor" could enter a human cell and repair it from the inside. In 1984, the first perfected nanite robots were created by then

Nanocytes - In RL they are: http://www.igb.fraunhofer.de/WWW/GF/...ocytes.en.html

But in SG they are probably the same as the other two

A nanobot is a nanotechnological robot nanomachine, also called a nanite, which is a mechanical or electromechanical device whose dimensions are measured in nanometres (millionths of a millimetre, or units of 10-9 metrer).
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Interesting this should come up. I just finished watching brief candle. Anyhow, whenever a 'nan___' has came up I just stick to the basics of what all the variant names/types do: they're little mechanical things that crawly about altering things in the body

More specifically, im pretty useless on that sort of stuff However FYI to me nanites sounds like a shortening.

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                    Nanites are the common name for both the nanotechnology assembler and the nanotechnology computer. First theorized in 1959 by Dr. Richard Feynman in his now-classic lecture There's Plenty Of Room At The Bottom, nanotechnology was first seen as one of the ultimate developments of man's technological heritage. Such machines could assemble anything that was needed in a relatively short time, then easily disassemble the same object and recycle the materials into another object, and a nanotech "doctor" could enter a human cell and repair it from the inside. In 1984, the first perfected nanite robots were created by then

Nanocytes - In RL they are: http://www.igb.fraunhofer.de/WWW/GF/...ocytes.en.html

But in SG they are probably the same as the other two

A nanobot is a nanotechnological robot nanomachine, also called a nanite, which is a mechanical or electromechanical device whose dimensions are measured in nanometres (millionths of a millimetre, or units of 10-9 metrer).
                    Thanks for the info! I think I'm beginning to understand now. All these nano techonlogy terms have been making me crazy for a long time. Now, I'm starting to understand.
                    sigpic
                    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson
                      Thanks for the info! I think I'm beginning to understand now. All these nano techonlogy terms have been making me crazy for a long time. Now, I'm starting to understand.
                      Glad to be of help
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

And i think that nanoprobes are called nanoprobes in star trek is because the nanoprobes probes the victims cells, killing them and start to re-write their DNA
                        ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

Basically it just means really really really small machines, or molecular sized robots.
                          "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

yeah, that about sums it up. Actually, I've always thought that nanobots was simply an older, more outmodded name.
                            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Working...
                            X