This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need for an Ori Fleet [Spoilers]

Why exactly do the Ori need a fleet of warships? It seems that the powers of the Ori would render them obsolete. In fact, with the shield technology we saw in Beach Head, they would really only need 1 ship as we have no weapons that can harm it. They are also capable of waving their hands and causing incurable plague, and waves of energy capable of hurling Jaffa miles. Since they have used these obviously offensive powers in our galaxy without intervention, it would seem that the good ascended Ancients will not be stepping in.

It's something I also wondered. At first I thought oh they want to show how powerful they are so we worship them but they have more of an worship us or die temperament.

I'm also pretty certain that ascended beings only have a certain amount of power and knowledge and are not all powerful and all knowing as I once thought.

I'm also pretty certain there will be a decent explanation of this later on and that the good ascended guys will have a roll to play.

Comment

1. Maybe their taking precautions in case the Asgard step in, or the Furlings

2. Maybe their trying to avoid the old mistakes of their Ancient cousins (or who knows how their related ) in Pegasus when they were defeated by the wraith through numbers.

3. Maybe a Mach 9 would have a more destructive effect if it was beamed inside a ship with a shield around instead of getting beamed into an area with no hull of a ship to blow up, just a power-eating shield next to the blast wave, like in "Beachead". (This point was hard for me to explain, so ask if you don't understand what I'm trying to say)

Reminder: These are all "Maybe's", as in something to think about.
      Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
      1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
      2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
      3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Comment

In my opinion, it may be the Ori's power doing many of these things, but the Priors are the ones who have to use that power. The Ori themselves can't. So I think the fleet of ships is necessary to carry the various priors and their warrriors throughout our galaxy, to both planets with and without stargates. Don't forget, they are flesh like you and me.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yes but unlike you or me, they can generate thought cntrolled (through that staff they carry) shields, and spread plague in a matter of hours, and burns themselfes up. I believe a prior would be nothing without his staff. It's all technology people...

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Todd
            Why exactly do the Ori need a fleet of warships? It seems that the powers of the Ori would render them obsolete. In fact, with the shield technology we saw in Beach Head, they would really only need 1 ship as we have no weapons that can harm it. They are also capable of waving their hands and causing incurable plague, and waves of energy capable of hurling Jaffa miles. Since they have used these obviously offensive powers in our galaxy without intervention, it would seem that the good ascended Ancients will not be stepping in.
            Well, I'm of the opinion that the Ori are most definately evil, but they do not believe themselves to be evil. It's like any religious extremist, they think they're doing what's good and whats right by their actions. That is exactly how the Ori are operating, and I can see why they wouldn't just bring crazy amounts of highly advanced technology and ships right away - until its the last resort.

Maybe they'll bring them but not use them offensively until it is the last resort. I'm not sure, but I think the Ori want and need people to worship them, they aren't going to destroy everyone and have nothing left to worship. They'll draw the line somewhere - despite how evil they are.

I mean, look at the Goa'uld, they were pretty evil but yet they kept Jaffa and humans around - were even pretty nice to them by keeping them fed, housed, and cared for even though they were slaves worshiping false gods. I'm sure the Goa'uld really believed they were gods and that their actions were perfectly just and that they were doing a good thing with their slaves, in some ways they really were, but obviously it was wrong.

It just depends on the angle you look at it and then you see the whole picture. There IS a reason the Ori aren't descending on us in incredible numbers forcing Origin upon us, and the writers will tell that story, just give it time!
            Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Comment

I would have to agree with Ascended. We would not exist if the Ori were llowed to use their power on us. The Priors build that tech themselfs and it is therefor not under the supervision of the ancients. And saying that, a ship will always be more capable that a staff.

Does anyone else have the feeling that that shield was not in the Prior's usuall bag of tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by The General
                I would have to agree with Ascended. We would not exist if the Ori were llowed to use their power on us. The Priors build that tech themselfs and it is therefor not under the supervision of the ancients. And saying that, a ship will always be more capable that a staff.

Does anyone else have the feeling that that shield was not in the Prior's usuall bag of tricks.
                It may not have been, he was standing near that stargate the whole time, so maybe he only activated it and the actual device creating it was on the other side of that gate and he was just guiding it to make it work. For all we know it could be some huge device larger than can fit through the gate period.
                Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Comment

The Ori cannot use their powers because of the ascended Ancients. That's why they must give their priors knowledge to build ships in order to destroy us. Plus, hasn't anyone else realized that they must be so far away that they can't get to us in a short amount of time? Why else would they build a giant gate? It must be that they are even farther away from us than Atlantis is. The Ori give the Priors powers. They are still interfering, but in their part of the Universe, the Ancients have no authority. Remember, the Ancients wouldn't even help us whan Anubis was going to destroy us with their old technology! And the Ori know this, which is why they have to do it on a physical plane of existence instead of just wiping us out with a wave of a hand.

Comment

I believe that the Mach 9 would've destroyed the gate, thus shutting down the shield, but the Prior put his hand on the Stargate and protected it long enough for the gate to survive. The Mach 9 was also called a gatebuster, so that must be the reason he put his hand on the gate.

Comment

You forget that the Priors can make their staff fly to them when they aren't touching it, so the staff is just an extension of their already considerable powers.

Comment

It all boils down to whether or not they keep their promise and Ascend their Priors. If they do, than they are only evil insofar that they kill you if you don't falsely worship them. If they don't keep their promise, than they are completely evil. But what makes the Ori awesome in my book(again, depending on if they do ascend you) is that what they are doing is a good cause, but the way they go about doing it is the evil part.

Comment

I think that as we saw in the final for SG-Atlantis that the Raith now know were Earth is. So their going to jump to earth and inatvertanly run staight into the Ori!! Man thouse two are made for each other!, A huge battle insues as the Ori try to convert the Raith and the Raith try to eat them,either way the humans finaly win and that battle would go one indefanatly.
                          All the humans and Jaffa slip out the back, but because of the massive star gates black hole type tech and a manipulation of the space time continuam, it causes the battlestar galactica and pegasice to miss jump into that reality causing them to finally find earth and in a sence ending all three shows at once. Praise be to the God's...lol Kidding

Comment

Its called Mark 9 and not Mach 9.
                            As those are Wraith and not Raith either.

Comment

Well one of the reasons is that galactic powers tend to have quite a few ships and while the priors are formidable on the ground they can't really do anything against a ship in space so the priors would be limited in what they could do. Its like owning the land but the enemy has naval ships so you havent really won in the end, you need superiority in both fields to secure a victory.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X