This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming Tech

Could the SG teams use beaming tech in order to obtain and analyze advanced technologies? Possibly even fabricate them? According to what I've seen the Asgard do with the beaming tech, they should be able to; however it seems that the SG teams do not realize the full potential of this enormous gift that has been bestowed upon them.

Do you mean to just beam up advanced tech. from other planets without getting their permission first? If that is what you mean, I am guessing that would be considered stealing which I believe a rogue group of the NID already tried before.
    "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Not what I had in mind. Example: An SG team finds an ancient weapon. They use the beaming tech to grab it, analyze it, and possibly even fabricate one of their own. For instance in Trinity, McKay could have beamed the cannon itself aboard the Daedalus's computers in order to obtain its technology. You see what I'm saying? In other words, if O'Neill can use Asgard beaming tech to fabricate the disruptor weapon, then obviously the technology's uses are varied and many.

Comment

Originally posted by CueBa'al
        Not what I had in mind. Example: An SG team finds an ancient weapon. They use the beaming tech to grab it, analyze it, and possibly even fabricate one of their own. For instance in Trinity, McKay could have beamed the cannon itself aboard the Daedalus's computers in order to obtain its technology. You see what I'm saying? In other words, if O'Neill can use Asgard beaming tech to fabricate the disruptor weapon, then obviously the technology's uses are varied and many.
        an interesting idea, but its possible that oneill was only able to do that cause he had the ancient knowledge and modified the beaming tech to do that, maybe it normally cant do that. but still its an interesting idea

Comment

Originally posted by CueBa'al
          Citing your example, that's still technically stealing. However, you could always "reverse engineer" the device to your hearts delight and get away with it that way.

An interesting idea, yes. But in my opinion, i think that method would make it too easy to obtain technology (physically -that is not having to go pick it up and carry it. Reverse engineering will still require the Carter's and McKay's to disect and divulge their findings accordingly). But this method also presents a real convenient way to steal stuff from people, which would essentially throw diplomatic relations straight out the window.

Comment

I see what you are saying, sorry for misunderstanding you before. I am probably wrong, but from what I can remember, didn't O'Neill create the distruptor weapon the asgard ship with materials already there and then beam it to the room everyone was in?

Comment

The asgard ship fabricated the device on it's own, using the ancient information that O'Niell had in his minds. So yes, you are correct.

Comment

Technowraith: Stealing tech? Hehe, you must not fully trust the SG teams to be honest, law-abiding, false-god fearing citizens...well okay maybe we can drop the false-god bit...but in any case, beaming tech does make it rather easy to do, but then again, much of the tech (esp ancient tech) they run into is abandoned and claimed by no one: Like the weapon which the Arcturus project in Trinity used (big blue blaster), or the ancient satellite weapon, etc. Wouldn't it be nice if they could make a 'copy' of something they find so that when McKay and/or Carter blow it up/fry it/let the smoke out of it/otherwise break it while trying to figure it out, then the original can still be preserved for a future attempt.

Comment

Shouldn't they have the blue prints for ancient weapons in the ancient database? Also, where are they going to get all the material to keep building proto weapons to test?

Comment

What the captain of the daedalus should have done is, when he saw the weapon disharging then the shuttle making a dash for it is think "bugger, I knew McKay would screw it up, looks like time for plan B" then beam the ion cannon and it's auxilliaries away then nipped into HS before the blast caught it. He then would have mounted the thing on the raised platform behind the silo's, and gone back to Atlantis proudly proclaiming "mine is bigger than yours" to any waith that got in the way.

Comment

Reverse-engineering the thing (in this case the giant blue laser, laser for short) wouldn't nessesarily mean making it out of ALL the materials that the laser was made of, perhaps if they had figured out how it works, they could make it out of, let's say trinium besides (god knows what it was made of...) Anyway. They god mining teams of stargate command are always happy to provide!

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

If the weapon is of ancient design (and there is debate on that) do you think we would be able to reverse engineer it or even build it if we have the designs? Also, what kind of power requirement would it have? Did it have to be hooked up to the experimental power to function?

Comment

I reckon Earth should be building Beam tech harvesters to go and mine minerals from around the solar system or systems near ours, imagine how much faster we could build our civilization without having to dig the stuff out of the ground.

If the beam tech can run from a naquadah generator then it will be reasonably economical to mine using this technology.

MCL
                          Time to talk to the Asgard and Nox about an Anti-Ori campaign!

Comment

If your transporter records the energy patterns of the object, and then converts the transmitted energy back into matter, then it would technically be possible to synthesis another item. For instance, in the episode 48 hours, the stargate had the energy pattern for teal'c stored, but it didn't have a dhd to create an event horizon -wormhole and the energy to reconvert into teal'c - it never made it back to earth. That's why they connected the dhd and a naquada generator (if i remember correctly, the big wires). And even if they didn't connect one, we know already that the dhd supplies power, co it could suipply power in this case -generator (but i thought i saw a generator there too...)

Anyway, the point is that if you have the energy pattern for the item, you shopuld just need to supply more power to turn into this object. Again. Imagine hooking up your portable power generator and pumping out a load of tollan ion cannons, etc.

The problem with this is that 1)you need to supply power to convert into mass, and e=mc^2 means you need alot of power for very little energy. 2)it makes getting tech too easy for the show. 3) the cizilisation you're copying the tech from must be happy for you to copy their tech. 4) you'll need to figure out how to power your snazzy new device, and 5) you don't understand how it works, just that it does the job - until it breaks down, at which point you have to make a new one...

The up side is that its really easy, just temporarily de-mat and re-mat the object in question (in the same position, so it dissapears for a sec then reappears again in the same place), don't erase the energy pattern and get a power source.
                            "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by MCL
                              I reckon Earth should be building Beam tech harvesters to go and mine minerals from around the solar system or systems near ours, imagine how much faster we could build our civilization without having to dig the stuff out of the ground.

If the beam tech can run from a naquadah generator then it will be reasonably economical to mine using this technology.

MCL
                              False economy. It's like designing a machine that costs £1,000,000 and uses 2GW of power that you install in toilets to check your flies are done up after you go.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Working...
                              X