No announcement yet.

Watergate (407)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite like this ep coming to it after about a decade of not seeing it.

one thing: when Jack says that he's never been on a submarine - is he making fun of the Russians?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Covert ops: when questioned, deny and lie. Officially, we never had their submarine, so if we never had it, than Jack couldn't've been on it.

Ties back to the comment "one of our submarines disappeared."

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
        Covert ops: when questioned, deny and lie. Officially, we never had their submarine, so if we never had it, than Jack couldn't've been on it.
        Yup.. Covert ops people give all politicians a run for their money in that regard.

Comment

So, it occasionally catches fire but it keeps perfect time?

Whatever the case, the sub looks cute. Must try to model it once. It looks like a toy-sub from the outside, but it's cute.

The Russians have the DHD... how nice. Can we borrow it now? Though the Americans macgyvered a computer program to solve that problem. Of course, there were bound to be troubles with two gates in operation...

So Maybourne's been divulging secrets to the Russians - doesn't that make him a criminal? Isn't that considered treason?

I really like the idea of the watery lifeforms, kinda like the mist in SGA's Home in season 1... wait, for it... yeah, nevermind.

The Russians deploying nerve gass to keep their secrets secret -- is a bit harsh, don't you think.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            So Maybourne's been divulging secrets to the Russians - doesn't that make him a criminal? Isn't that considered treason?
            Yes.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I want to go swimming there!
              sigpic

Comment

I love the Russian accent - nice shots with parachuting and so on.

A frozen Maybourne, water aliens, Swiss submarine easily catching fire...nice.
                CARPE DIEM
                ANJA

Comment

I am trying to remember. Did we ever see Marina sertis's character again?

Comment

Nope. She was referenced once
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm currently reviewing all the episodes. Whenever I get to this one, I just had to come here again...
                      So many loose ends, and unanswered questions ... I wouldn't call it plot-holes. But the simple facts of this episode, violates facts from earlier episodes.... And as I said, way too many unanswered questions...

Comment

Actually, all the unanswered questions are part of why I like this. It makes it seem as if it really happened, without dragging too much politics into the mix.

Seaboe

Comment

Sure, but anyway, I like the fact that I made it to 407, without coming here ranting

Comment

A thoroughly entertaining episode featuring a very unknown alien world. This one gets very claustrophobic and quite creepy once they get in the Swiss sub. Daniel taking on the role of Jack in the sub was amusing in that his "jokes" instantly fell flat.

I warmed up to Marina Sirtis as a Russian eventually, it was tricky at the start as whenever I saw her I was thinking of her line from TNG "If you can't take it here, you might think about a transport ship.." hah.

I never quite understood the plotline of why they keep saying the Russian higher ups are against having a Stargate program (I think mentioned again in 48 hours?). Are they trying to say only Americans are real explorers or some nonsense? :/

Also Enkarans.. surprised they were mentioned. At first I was thinking this took place in the middle of the episode "Scorched Earth" which left me confused, but obviously they were talking about moving the Enkarans the first time not second.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirude View Post
                              I never quite understood the plotline of why they keep saying the Russian higher ups are against having a Stargate program (I think mentioned again in 48 hours?). Are they trying to say only Americans are real explorers or some nonsense? :/
                              It's an American show -- what else do you expect?
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I quite liked how the Stargate program became a very political thing. Lots of shows dance around the whole 'Surely the other nations wont notice ships in orbit/things crashing into the sea'.

Stargate wasn't afraid to go there though even early on. From Kinsey onwards we got a shot that while action adventure always had the subtone of politics and appeasing America's allies.

Comment

Working...
                                X