This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Site Question

Just watched "Gemini" again after a while and gotta ask a question. Why the heck does the Alpha site have a dialling computer AND a DHD???

At the end of the episode the computer is used to dial the gate but if you watch the DHD it lights up too, so must be actually opening the gate. Why make it more complicated by adding the computer in??
    Spoiler:
    seeing as that is what lets Replicarter escape as she has locked Sam out of the dialling computer!!!

Just doesn't seem to make too much sense to me, except as a highly convoluted plot device......... What do you guys think?

I would think the computer is keeping track of all those little things the DHD doesn't tell you because it doesn't have a display screen. Power output, receiving incoming transmissions, and allowing you to dial or shut down the gate without being physically in the room... just in case.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

another question about the alpha site:
      why doesnt it have an iris to protect from unwanted visiters??
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by eoin
        another question about the alpha site:
        why doesnt it have an iris to protect from unwanted visiters??
        the alpha site is suppose to be a place to flee if the goa'uld took over earth, if the goa'ulds knew where it was, then theres no point in the alpha site

Comment

Yes, but there really should've be an Iris at the Alpha Site incase they would of found out the location.

It does make it more complicated I guess if you have a computer and DHD. Why not just use the DHD? You don't always need to look at the specifics.

Comment

You don't use a computer with a DHD because you have to but because you WANT to. It's the only way to learn how it works and see what it's doing when it's operational.

The address to the alpha site is not on the Abydos cartouche and the goa'uld do not know it. They could only find out if someone from the SGC tells them, in which case you have more than one problem. Having an iris would be nice but it's not something they'd have use for very often.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
              I would think the computer is keeping track of all those little things the DHD doesn't tell you because it doesn't have a display screen. Power output, receiving incoming transmissions, and allowing you to dial or shut down the gate without being physically in the room... just in case.

and sometimes the dhd screws up
              My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Originally posted by Gargen
                and sometimes the dhd screws up
                due to human error.

Comment

I think the whole monitoring thing is more than ample reason.

And the computer still has the ability to dial because it would be rather pointless to take that feature out.

I dont know why there is no Iris, i cant think of a good reason..

Comment

Yes, you are right, the dialing computer plus DHD does not make a lot of sense but it could be backup incase the computers go down or something.

Owen Macri

Comment

Thats funny I watched that episode an hour ago lol.

I'd assume that the computer was to list the gate addresses that could be accessed and the DHD was there to power the gate. The computer seems to be interfaced with the DHD as it lights up, so it might be linked in a system of Computer-DHD-Gate. If you think about this, the DHD would be handy as it could easily calculate the stellar drift internally, a second way of opening the gate in case of computer failure and it might also allow for the address to be "double checked" by the DHD before it opens the gate.

Actually that reasoning should mean its better than Earth's system, as Carter's dialing program ignores 220 of the 400 signals that the Gate should send and recieve as well as being "Three Supercomputers McGyvered together"
                      "You get Two Hippies playing Drums on a lawn, the next thing you got is a College!" - Eric Cartman

"Nice!" - Jack
                      "Well the Ancients like to fly in style..." - Daniel

Comment

That is a very good idea, I didn't think of that.

Owen Macri

Comment

Owen, I challenge you not to respond to the post just so that there's a topic in this section in which you aren't the last poster.

Comment

Thats a bit of a cruel burn isn't it? True (sorry Owen), but still kinda rude?

If you can't post something nice... PM it lol.

But sers, keep the jibes down eh?
                            Last edited by Heisenberg; 23 August 2005, 12:12 PM.
                            "You get Two Hippies playing Drums on a lawn, the next thing you got is a College!" - Eric Cartman

"Nice!" - Jack
                            "Well the Ancients like to fly in style..." - Daniel

Comment

No Iris = The reason already talked about the Alpha site is on a planet which is not on the Abydos Cartouche which was the Goa'uld map of Stargates making it a safe haven to go to as the chances of attack are slim to none.

Comment

Working...
                              X