This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goa'uld names

Ok....I know there's some discussion as to whether the Goa'uld took on the names and roles of gods, or that humans named their gods after the Goa'uld......but I was wondering, where do the Goa'uld symbiotes get their names from? Do they name themselves or does the queen that spawns them give them a name via the Goa'uld genetic memory??

Just wondering cos I was thinking of Tanith who had a name as soon as it implanted in a host.......

What does everyone think?

Originally posted by PrimalAscended
    Ok....I know there's some discussion as to whether the Goa'uld took on the names and roles of gods, or that humans named their gods after the Goa'uld......but I was wondering, where do the Goa'uld symbiotes get their names from? Do they name themselves or does the queen that spawns them give them a name via the Goa'uld genetic memory??

Just wondering cos I was thinking of Tanith who had a name as soon as it implanted in a host.......

What does everyone think?
    I'd say that the queen names them
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Good question. They have the genetic memory of their parents so I always wondered why the child symbiots dont just take their parents name.

Example, Apophis had a bunch of Jaffa so surly one of those Jaffa have his offspring and must have taken a host by now. Since the offspring has all of apophis's genetic memory, why not just declare himself Apophis-reborn and take over his armies (of course this would work better right after Apophis death).
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
        Good question. They have the genetic memory of their parents so I always wondered why the child symbiots dont just take their parents name.

Example, Apophis had a bunch of Jaffa so surly one of those Jaffa have his offspring and must have taken a host by now. Since the offspring has all of apophis's genetic memory, why not just declare himself Apophis-reborn and take over his armies (of course this would work better right after Apophis death).
        I don't think that would happen because the symbiotes get their genetic memory from the queen that spawns them and their lineage (hence all Egeria's spawn being Tok'ra, well apart from the mindless ones the Pangarans mushed up for tretonin)........and seeing as Apophis is not a queen they wouldn't have "his" knowledge.

Comment

i think the symbiotes decide for themselves while theyre incubating

Comment

^ I agree. It's probably one of the few things to keep a Prim'tah occupied while sitting inside a Jaffa for however many years it's in there. Can you imagine what it must be like? They're born with the knowledge and experience of all the Queens in their line before them, so it's not like a human child who's oblivious to much of the world when they're born. They're already consious and self-aware, but they have to sit nicely in a pouch for years on end. If I had that to look forward to, I'd probably examine every single name in my genetic memory just to pass the time.
            MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

i think the goa'uld incubating inside the symbiote pouch decides its name, its my opinion but i will say lie this.
              almost all of the goa'uld names come from a multitude of earth cultures that we have seen, each dipicted by a symbol such as a jackel or a falcon the young goa'uld must mature differently to each other unlike the snakes on pangara that were carbon copies of each other with no personality these goauld posses the memory of the queen who spawned it but whilst inside the pouch depending on its experiences inside the jaffa or a direct link to their brains they choose an identity that would best suit their traits we are not so sure if they were the egyptian gods or just took the persona of them but each goa'uld name denotes the personality such as apophis god of the night and Ra god of sun and seth god of chaos etc....
              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Tannith is a good example that they know there name when they are born.. right when he took a host he knew his name

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                  Tannith is a good example that they know there name when they are born.. right when he took a host he knew his name
                  why yes they do, tanith chose his name for an unknown reason:

1. the writters overlooked the naming of goa'ulds and wanted him to be a minor goa'uld to which we have never heard of

2. he chose the name to mean somthing in goa'uld but i heard this somewhere that his name was meant to mean "light or something along those lines, now if this is so then it would go with the naming as when he entered his host he chose a tok'ra name or a goa'uld word meaning name.
                  such as the world teal'c is a name and means strong in goa'uld.
                  For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Think it’s still a matter for speculation, but I personally like the name of Apophis’ neighbor’s second cousin, Curly.
                    Help! I'm standing up and I can't fall down!

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (PB)

Comment

Originally posted by eoin
                      I'd say that the queen names them
                      i agree, (genetic information)

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

iono seems wierd. Take Lord Yu for example. Lord Yu was technically an Emperor of China not a god. However because of his great political strength, he was able to 'ascend' to god level i guess. Now how would the Symbiote have been able to make its way into Lord Yu and name itself Yu in incubation? It would have to slither like a snake all the way into the Imperial Palace. In incubation, it has no contact with the host. Therefore, it could not have known of the outside world and the current events.
                        Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

I think (and I could be wrong) the Chinese emperors were believed to be gods.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard
                            I think (and I could be wrong) the Chinese emperors were believed to be gods.
                            i'm pretty sure not considering how my mom blabbers on about Chinese History and how human the emperors and other people were.... the Japanese are a branch of the Chinese. They have gods like Amaterasu. It's sort of like The Da Vinci Code where the catholic church destroyed all the gospels pertaining to Jesus' humane side and glorified his godly side. If the Chinese Emperors were like this, then Jesus should be a Gou'ld as well.
                            Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Working...
                            X