This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confuzzled at how Darts work [duet spoilers]

Those darts that crashed landed in the Siege had Wraiths beamed down to the city leaving the ship unmanned.

But from the way the crystal 'fired', it was a one-way uni-directional beam.

So how did the wraith pilots 'beam' down?

Also, now that the Atlantis team have a working solution instead of a theory of how the Darts rematerialization works, isn't it possible for the Atlantis team to dig up / scoop up the Darts that crashed into the oceans with their beam crystals intact?

By retrieving them, there would be the ability/option to rematerialize the people who were beamed up before the craft crashed given that the crafts' power and memory buffer are both intact.

Thoughts?

Those darts that crashed landed in the Siege had Wraiths beamed down to the city leaving the ship unmanned.

But from the way the crystal 'fired', it was a one-way uni-directional beam.

Maybe the darts have another emmiter for the beam thing in their cockpit as some sort of ejection method? It would work pretty good if we'd ever seen a Wraith pilot wearing a parachute or something similar which we haven't. Call it a suicide system then. Aiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...... *thump*

Either that or maybe the Wraith pilots just died and the guys that beamed in were stored in the crystal seperately.

Also, now that the Atlantis team have a working solution instead of a theory of how the Darts rematerialization works, isn't it possible for the Atlantis team to dig up / scoop up the Darts that crashed into the oceans with their beam crystals intact?
    This would be an interesting dillema in real life for sure. You would feel compelled to try and help the people wouldn't you. You might even feel obligated now that you knew it was possible to help them. You'd surely feel like you owed it to them to at least try something.

It's never going to happen in the show though. The writers forgot about those darts and everything in them the minute they were shot down. No one's going to ever speak of it again so those guys can just wait down their till their batteries run out. It's kind of lame but it's a pretty realistic expectation I think. It's a shame to since you could probably do a pretty cool epiode around the whole deep sea salvage adventure idea.

Who knows there might even be more Ancient goodies lying undiscovered down there where Atlantis was.

Comment

Originally posted by qingdom

By retrieving them, there would be the ability/option to rematerialize the people who were beamed up before the craft crashed given that the crafts' power and memory buffer are both intact.
      The ocean is very deep under and around Atlantis. We don't know if there is any capability to get down that deep in the ocean to retrieve anything. Maybe in future shows we will see if the city has anything capable of being used to go down in the ocean (i.e. mini sub, etc.).
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Hmm how about the Daedalus' teleporters. They could do this whole thing in 5 minutes.

It didn't look that deep in Rising either. Light was still getting down to the city quite easily.

Comment

When they were pulling apart the Wraith Dart, the ship looked like it was almost organic... The german chick & the other guys were all wrinkling their noses as though it had a bad smell...

I'm wondering if I have missed something because I don't remember hearing anything along those lines....
          BSG convert....

Comment

I agree and was surprised...it looked like a pretty blatant Battlestar Galactica rip-

Comment

I thought the same thing!!!!
              BSG convert....

Comment

it would be cheaper to grow ships than build them, paritularly when you never see a wraith factory or any sort of industry. I like to think they have wombs on there 'motherships' (you see?!) where they grow ships...

could also expain why wraith darts are quite so crap against bullets. they could have been designed to neaturalise energy weapons but the wraith never thought somebody would be firing hot lead at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                  Hmm how about the Daedalus' teleporters. They could do this whole thing in 5 minutes.

It didn't look that deep in Rising either. Light was still getting down to the city quite easily.
                  They were in the tower which was closest to the surface. If you take into account how huge the city is the ocean around it has to be pretty deep.

At the time we had no real idea how the wraith ships stored the people they culled. Since the darts are partly organic it is possible not enough power was left to support the life in the culling pod. Another question would be how do we detect where these darts and there culling pods are?
                  "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                  'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                  Individuality is freedom lived.
                  'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Crichton
                    I agree and was surprised...it looked like a pretty blatant Battlestar Galactica rip-
                    Hey the Wraith have been using organic looking tech from the very beginning (ie Rising)
                    If anything Galactica ripped them off
                    sigpic

Comment

Organic spaceships are nothing new, they have been around in scifi for a long time and are usually a trademark of "advanced" races. (think Vorlons and Shadows from B5, Species 8472 from Star Trek Voyager, etc)

Comment

Let's ask Rodney. Honestly, I don't know. Who's to say they don't have another set of crystals for hte beam-down portion?

First, they have to find the ships, and do the jumpers have the capacity to go down that deep? Well, that's a spoiler, but even if they do, nobody's diving down to find them, and so far, the jumpers don' thave any little robotic arms to pick up the pieces. Would be interesting though, find the crystals, hook 'em up and see what comes out.

Sheppard: "Eeeuu, please tell me that's not..."
                        McKay: "It's Brown."
                        Sheppad: "How can you tell? It's just an arm!"
                        McKay: "It's the Spain patch. He's the only one who had one."

Comment

Originally posted by Tain
                          Organic spaceships are nothing new, they have been around in scifi for a long time and are usually a trademark of "advanced" races. (think Vorlons and Shadows from B5, Species 8472 from Star Trek Voyager, etc)
                          Whoa, how can you forget Moya from FARSCAPE? She even had a baby, um, can't forget his name. Not exactly what mom expected...

Comment

In "Before I Sleep" of Season one, the Ancient said that they recovered Wiers shuttle from the bottom of the ocean. So they must have some way of getting down there.

If I have missed something I apoligize, I did not read all of the posts because I don't want to spoil "Duet." I should be able to reply fully later tonight.

Owen Macri

Comment

it would be cheaper to grow ships than build them, paritularly when you never see a wraith factory or any sort of industry. I like to think they have wombs on there 'motherships' (you see?!) where they grow ships...
                              Organic ships are such a bad idea it's scary. How would it be cheaper? You have to put the same amount of material in, much more when you take into account the horrendously inefficient process of organic metabolism, the package that comes out would be soft, spongy, susceptible to even the tiniest G-forces, radiation, not to mention poisons, disease, etc. and you end up having to build more of these substandard craft. Organic computers are an equally bad idea, again the tolerances of organic structures to G forces and other threats is limited and there are far more effective computational devices.
                              Last edited by Lord §okar; 09 August 2005, 05:45 PM.
                              Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Working...
                              X