This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recogniton for Daniel

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=7][FONT=Times New Roman]We have seen both Jack and Sam receive medals for their work in the Stargate Program (no doubt there are many commendations and medals we don't know about), and now the news that Jack and Sam will both be receiving promotions...
    So I ask the questions
    What about Daniel Jackson?
    Does not the man who opened the Gate and saved us all from the Gould not deserve recognition?
    What form would you like this to take?
    How do you think Daniel Jackson will be remembered by future generations?

I'll start with my thoughts...
    I can't think of anyone who deserves recognition more than Daniel Jackson. No one has give so much to the SGC and asked for so little in return. No one has lost as much as this man. Recognition is long overdue.
    I do think that after the SGC is made public Daniel will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom with distinctions from the United States of America. I can also see all the major nations on Earth falling all over themselves to recognize this man with the eventual (I hope) awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize for Daniel or SG1 as a unit.
    As to how Daniel will be perceived, this is a tricky question with no clear answer. Certainly he will be regarded as a contriversal figure. Many will question his motives for joining the program and staying with it after his original 'quest' (searching for his wife) was fulfilled. Hopefully people will come to see him as the person who expanded our knowledge and understanding of the universe and each other with no thought as to reward or recognition.

I am interested to read all of your thoughts.

Cheers,
    SG1Team4ever

We have seen both Jack and Sam receive medals for their work in the Stargate Program (no doubt there are many commendations and medals we don't know about), and now the news that Jack and Sam will both be receiving promotions...
    So I ask the questions
    What about Daniel Jackson?
    Does not the man who opened the Gate and saved us all from the Gould not deserve recognition?
    What form would you like this to take?
    How do you think Daniel Jackson will be remembered by future generations?

I'll start with my thoughts...
    I can't think of anyone who deserves recognition more than Daniel Jackson. No one has give so much to the SGC and asked for so little in return. No one has lost as much as this man. Recognition is long overdue.
    I do think that after the SGC is made public Daniel will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom with distinctions from the United States of America. I can also see all the major nations on Earth falling all over themselves to recognize this man with the eventual (I hope) awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize for Daniel or SG1 as a unit.
    As to how Daniel will be perceived, this is a tricky question with no clear answer. Certainly he will be regarded as a contriversal figure. Many will question his motives for joining the program and staying with it after his original 'quest' (searching for his wife) was fulfilled. Hopefully people will come to see him as the person who expanded our knowledge and understanding of the universe and each other with no thought as to reward or recognition.

I am interested to read all of your thoughts.

Cheers,
    SG1Team4ever[/QUOTE]

Comment

It was nice to see Jack and Sam get their medals in Secrets. I agree that Daniel and Teal'c are every bit as deserving of recognition, although not knowing enough about how US honours work I'm not sure whether they can be kept hush hush, which would probably be necessary for Teal'c, and perhaps even for Daniel (how would the president explain an honour given to an unpublished-in-seven-years academic?)

The thing about Secrets though was that the B & C plots were entirely set at and around the medal-giving reception. It was an excuse for Jacob to be introduced to the audience and for Jack to be on the loose in Washington ready for that bloke from the X-Files to find him. If a story could be concieved around the giving of medals to Daniel and Teal'c then Hooray! I'll look forward to it.

Then there was the promotion ceremony for Captain / Major Carter. (Was that in Seth?) That was necessary, even if it didn't add to the story in the episode in question. Carter couldn't stay a captain forever. If Teal'c and Daniel ever get any official recognition for their assorted Saving The Planet / Dying In The Line Of Duty / Saving The Galaxy / Being Interplanetary Ambassadors / Being Jolly Good Chaps activities, then it'll more likely be a little pre-credit snippet to fill an ep that's running short, or a humourous thingy like just as Daniel's about to get his medal Thor beams Jack up, and Daniel asks if anyone else has deja vu...

You're 100% right, within the Stargate-verse Teal'c and Daniel deserve recognition or at the very least honour for all they have done. But whether it happens onscreen or not is entirely down to TPTB's opinions of the dramatic needs of the stories that get written. It'd be nice, but if it never happens I won't be bothered. My main wish for s8 is more exploration and original stories.

Madeleine

Comment

The problem lies in the fact that Daniel (and Teal'c) are civilians, not part of the medal-giving military. There are a few medals available for civilians, but as has been mentioned, they're public sort of things and couldn't be awarded without explanation (of some sort!)

Frankly, I don't think being awarded a medal is all that great. Particularly if it has to be in secret. As for the Nobel Prize, there are very specific categories and one cannot win it until some time AFTER the reason for winning it (provided you are still alive - it cannot be awarded posthumously).

Do I think that Daniel deserves special recognition for his part on the project? No. No more so than General Hammond, O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c or a host of other SG teams who risk it all every day for their homeworld. Unless the entire project goes public, then they will all have to keep a low profile.

One other thing - Daniel has caused a lot of problems for SG-1 even while solving others. Before awarding anything, it's only proper to look at both the good and the bad.
        sigpic

Comment

I can also see all the major nations on Earth falling all over themselves to recognize this man with the eventual (I hope) awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize for Daniel or SG1 as a unit.

~~~~

I"m not sure about the nobel peace prize for someone who started a civil war.

Usually the downside of someone working in secret ops is that if you've done your job right, no one knows that you've even done a job, much less get recognized for it.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Exactly what was the official reason given for the medals Sam and Jack got in Secrets? Unofficially, it was for saving the earth, but since the project was supposed to be secret, they couldn't say that. Especially, since non Stargate people were invited. But, they still managed to give them, just them, not Janet, General Hammond, and a slew of other SGC personalities special recognition for saving the earth. Which makes sense, because the whole of the program wasn't on Apophis' ship. Just them. But, wait! It wasn't just them. There were two others there, who also saved the earth. And, if it wasn't for one particular other one, they wouldn't have even have known earth was in danger.

There are civillian medals now. I don't know if it's possible for an alien to be given a US based award. (Since Teal'c doesn't have US citizenship, right?) I mean, I know it's unprecedented to even have to wonder about it, since there aren't any aliens here in real life. But, I'm guessing it would be a snag. But, there could be some ceremony where the president gives Teal'c his deepest thanks, and a handsake or bow. It could even be given within Cheyenne Mountain. And, have it something meaningful and solemn, and specific, not something like he was just an assistant to Jack and Sam, but played an equal part.

But, back to Daniel. Are there medals that can be given to him? Then, he deserves one. But, of course, he's the only person who's ever done anything wrong on the team, and it's always kosher to give out every proverbial slap on the wrist before giving someone recognition for saving the planet. Being the person to find out about Apophis' attack, warn everyone, and then convince SG1 that it was real (which took some doing), and being a part of that same team that aborted it, is just in the normal line of duty that doesn't receive any special recognition. But, there seems to be something off there, if his actions as part of SG1 don't merit anything special, since part of SG1 did receive special merit.

Hey, I would like it if Daniel was also given the handshake and an "Our most solemn thanks for saving the world" that I suggested for Teal'c. Even if it's not an actual medal. Something specific towards him, not him being just offhandedly mentioned when Jack and Sam are awarded.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
              But, of course, he's the only person who's ever done anything wrong on the team, and it's always kosher to give out every proverbial slap on the wrist before giving someone recognition for saving the planet.
              I don't believe anyone said that Daniel is "the only person who's ever done anything wrong", but I think it's important to remember that he's a man, not Saint Daniel. Nor do I think he should be given a "slap on the wrist" for his actions. Some of them warrant much more than that! However, in balance I think he's been a real asset. I just think that there is a tendency to put Daniel on some sort of pedestal, and I don't think it's warranted.
              sigpic

Comment

How is awarding Daniel a medal for saving the earth putting him on a pedestal? How is asking he get recognition for saving the planet, making him out to be Saint Daniel? He's just getting what Jack and Sam both got for their part in what he equally took part of. Jack and Sam weren't made out to be saints, or put on pedestals for being commended for saving the planet, so it's interesting that if it's a matter of Daniel getting the same thing (or the civillian equivalent) not more than, not better than, but equal to it means that people want to put him on a pedestal.

Well, well.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Nolamum - I don't think that it is putting Daniel on a pedastel anymore than it put Sam or Jack on a pedastel to give them a medal. I'm a bit confused here as to why you'd suddenly make that leap for Daniel? As for having to balance out the good and the 'bad' someone has done before giving them a medal - well sure, if that was the criteria by which the military hand out medals then by all means they should do the same for civilians.

I hope they don't do that though as it will mean no medal for Tealc for sure. The seven years he's been on SG1 and all the good he's done will go a long way but it probably still doesn't balance out all the things he did as first prime for Aphophis. And yet, I'd still argue that he deserves recognition.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                    I don't think that it is putting Daniel on a pedastel anymore than it put Sam or Jack on a pedastel to give them a medal.
                    there is one little difference. Sam and Jack, being air force officers and bound by the regs, that the others aren't, risked courmartial and possible charges of treason, which is the death penalty, to go on a mission. As folks have been fond of saying, courtmartials don't apply to civilians. they can be prosecuted in civilian court, but not courtmartialed.

and, in reality, sam and jack getting thier medals was just a simple plot device to get 1/2 of sg-1 in washington and an excuse to introduce Dad and the whole Armin storyline. They likely had the idea about doing the daniel/shau'ri story and needed to fill the other half of the show. Sorta like they did with Chimera....slapping two half episodes together to make one normal sized one.

it's comperable to showing sam getting promoted in Fair Game....it was a way to kill 10 minutes of the show, nothing more.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Were Jack and Sam awarded for risking a courtmartial or for saving the earth? If they were recognized only for risking a courtmartial, then that's something that only they could get awarded for. But, if it was for saving the planet, well, then, they aren't the only ones who should get recognized.

Are only military people awarded when they do something big like saving the planet (what's that quote from Jack in Small Victories, I think, -this shouldn't be a small thing. I know I'm getting it wrong)? Haven't civillians in real life been given medals for services to their country, even though courtmartials aren't a concern for them? And, since the pay off of the team of SG1 was so much bigger than what most people do, I don't see why part of the team shouldn't be recognized.

And, can't civilians be tried for treason? They could also have found a way to introduce Jacob without putting in a subplot that sets apart two of the team for special consideration for something they all did (at risk to their lives, I might add, and I think Apophis probably would could have done something worse than anything the US could have come up with).

Comment

well if they need to kill ten minutes in the show in future, then giving Daniel and Tealc some sort of recognition would be a good way to do it. Not the least because I'd like to see Tealc in the white house and also because I'd love to see the President again.

there is one little difference. Sam and Jack, being air force officers and bound by the regs, that the others aren't, risked courmartial and possible charges of treason, which is the death penalty, to go on a mission.
                        That's a good point - I can't quite remember Secrets now, so I'm assuming that what you're saying is that Sam and Jack got their medal's for saving the world by disobeying orders and gateing to what turned out to be Apophosis ship. I think though that if there was any recognition now for Daniel it would be for a more general services given type of thing, rather than just for one specific event, and even if they did tie it to just one event there are plenty to choose from where Daniel doing what he did not only meant he faced death (if not the death penalty) but also on one occaision died.

I don't think that it is enough of an argument to say that Daniel, and Tealc, should have a medal JUST because Sam and Jack got one. I think the argument is that Daniel and Tealc should get a medal, or some sort of official recognition albiet secretly, because they deserve to have one. And I personally think that both of them have done more than enough to deserve that.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't think that it is enough of an argument to say that Daniel, and Tealc, should have a medal JUST because Sam and Jack got one.
                          Not JUST because. If Jack and Sam had been by themselves, and had been the only ones to save the planet (why, yes, I am harping on that) then I would say that they were the only ones who deserved recognition. And, their medals were given for that specific incident, iirc. But, they weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
                            Do I think that Daniel deserves special recognition for his part on the project? No. No more so than General Hammond, O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c or a host of other SG teams who risk it all every day for their homeworld. Unless the entire project goes public, then they will all have to keep a low profile.
                            Jack and Sam already got their medals. If any other SG teams get medals we're not likely to see the ceremony but it's likely to be happenning regularly anyway. So why do you think 'No'? Would you say the same of Teal'c?

Originally posted by Nolamom
                            One other thing - Daniel has *caused* a lot of problems for SG-1 even while solving others. Before awarding anything, it's only proper to look at both the good and the bad.
                            The same could be said of Jack and of Sam. It didn't stop them getting awarded medals, promotions, whatever. Daniel and Teal'c helped save the world on many occasions, taking pivotal roles in the missions. Would you not think that saving the world is worth a medal or something? Even if Teal'c disobeyed orders which led to the DHD exploding and all, even if Daniel was in part responsible for a civil war (Civil wars are always Bad Things. That Mr Lincoln, what a git!), does saving the Earth not mean anything?

I'm not desperate for them to get medals or anything. I think it perfectly reasonable to not touch on the issue for reasons of time, or of what makes good television. I would even say myself that neither Daniel nor Teal'c really *need* medals, cos Teal'c is honoured greatly by his own people anyway, and Daniel most likely draws the highest salary of any of the rest of the team. If Daniel and Teal'c get less recognition than the other two, so be it. But I'm stunned that anyone can consider that either Daniel or Teal'c *deserve* less recognition than Jack or Sam. They're a team, they all contributed to saving the world, they all deserve the credit. And while the two non USAF team members didn't risk death by court-martial, they risked death by torture, death by exploding, death by zat...

Madeleine

Comment

there is one little difference. Sam and Jack, being air force officers and bound by the regs, that the others aren't, risked courmartial and possible charges of treason, which is the death penalty, to go on a mission.
                              True. But Sam and Jack weren't given a medal because they risked courtmartial, they were given a medal because of their actions, actions which Daniel and Teal'c participated in as well. It seems to me that the accomplishments of all of them should be honored, not just the ones who are in the military.

Both Daniel and Teal'c have accomplished enough and given enough of themselves many times over and definitely deserve some sort of medal or commendation, whatever that might be. Whether or not that will fit in an upcoming storyline, however, is another issue altogether.

Comment

Working...
                              X