Page 1 of 45 1 23411 ... LastLast

Thread: Infantry Weapons

Glasgow, Scotland, Centre of the Universe

Default Infantry Weapons

I'd quite like to see a few massed infantry fights. Not just two gate teams (one of which is SG-1/Sheppards team) against plenty of enemy. The original movie (which I maintian, rocked) saw USAF gubbed by like 3 uber jaffa.
    So four humans against 90 Jaffa? No. Not a chance. EVER!

However, I do NOT like uber aliens that can't be touched by basic humans (every Dr Who, ever). I like it whe humans can kill enemy, just not easily. They are super advanced, they can give us a gubbing on a whim. Look at Jaffa staff weapons. Awesome in the original film, but not so in the series.

So, lots of Fodder and lots of enemy. Like Siege pt2 and 3. Massed fighting. Its like 'Wanky' ships.

Also, I would like the fights to, as I've said, be more heaped against the humans. SO, it takes 20 US Marines to fight ten Jaffa....etc

ur thoughts, people

385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Default Re: Infantry Weapons

I've always said the coolest thing to see would a few dozen marines with some cool tech try to hold a small town or village from some crazy aliens...lots of them. Out-numbered, Out-gunned but not out-smarted. It's classic SG... but BIGGER and better!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Titan_HQ

Second Lieutenant

It'd be great.

I think it'd be great if an entire battalion were to go through the gate.

We should still have our backs against the wall though, fights are only interesting if we have to earn the victory.

I think the seige of atlantis was the greatest SG battle ever second place would be anubises invasion of abidos i liked how we lost that one aswell.

Universe has some potental for this if the ship got boarded

Quote Originally Posted by titan_hq View Post
    I've always said the coolest thing to see would a few dozen marines with some cool tech try to hold a small town or village from some crazy aliens...lots of them. Out-numbered, Out-gunned but not out-smarted. It's classic SG... but BIGGER and better!
    Very true. However, US Marines would always be outsmarted. jkjk.
    Tho, Royal Marines.....no, wait that would be unfair on the rest of the galaxy.....

As for staff weapons, they should dominate over the humble (yet never beaten) assault weapon. Thank you, plot shields.

385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Garrowan5th View Post
    As for staff weapons, they should dominate over the humble (yet never beaten) assault weapon. Thank you, plot shields.
    Ahh, no. They have a slow RoF and are very inaccurate. Our weapons eat them for breakfast.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/picture.p...ictureid=12414

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by jonos101 View Post
    Ahh, no. They have a slow RoF and are very inaccurate. Our weapons eat them for breakfast.
    Not in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    Not in the movie.
    That has a firepower of a Glider Cannon to me...

I would like to see SG-Units or SG-MArines with this..

Or we could just encase them in an ipnetrable inherently multi purpose nanite skin.

Wanky, but not impossible given our previous manipulation of nanotechnology. A Reese suit at the lest.

We've seen the staff weapon shoot rapid blasts but they get less accurate the more you shoot in succession.

I like the battle scene from the episode where Dr. Fraiser died.

They had quite a few ground forces fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by jonos101 View Post
    The Kull warrior weapons seemed to be just the opposite though. I guess nobody besides Anubis realized how useful effective energy weapons are.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    Not in the movie.
    So true. The ones on the film were ace. Then they seemed crap in the series

385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Garrowan5th View Post
    So true. The ones on the film were ace. Then they seemed crap in the series
    Gotta agree with that. But I suppose you could rationalise it by saying that because they were used by Ra's personal guard, they use better weapons than your standard Jaffa.

Or, you can just say that a staff has a variable power thing, i.e. grenade launcher power one end of the scale (as in movie) dropping to just able to make a flesh wound at the other (i.e. to be used exclusively against SG-1)...which kind of fits with the series.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Are you expecting the staff blast to rip apart someone as it hits?

For 1, its a tv show so thats not going to happen and 2, its basically blob of super heated plasma so its not going to explode on impact with human skin. Its just going to go right through it. It explodes on other things because the energy is spread out when it hits and creates an explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacMike View Post
    Are you expecting the staff blast to rip apart someone as it hits?

For 1, its a tv show so thats not going to happen and 2, its basically blob of super heated plasma so its not going to explode on impact with human skin. Its just going to go right through it. It explodes on other things because the energy is spread out when it hits and creates an explosion.
    I always thought the fact that the staff's fired superheated packets of matter showed how their wounding mechanism - the sheer temperature in one of those shots causes the water in tissues hit to convert to steam almost instantly, which is how instead of just getting a cauterising 3rd or 4th degree burn, you get a small explosion. But that's pure speculation.

I think I'm right in saying that if it were truly plasma, it'd dissipate quickly in air and also naturally rise upwards. I wondered if instead they essentially fire blobs of molten metal, or at least something that can hold a huge amount of heat and retain it's shape during passage through the atmosphere. Again, just speculation.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

I think I should just impress on you all, I never said automatic weapons were crap. Just wondering why a world with 10 years space experiance is so awesomely awesome in a fight? And some of these races are thousands of years more advanced. You'd think they could work out the kinks with the energy weapons. And forget P-90s. Everyone is in love with the damn things. They are such complex weapons and difficult to maintain. Go the way of the G-36. H & K for the win!!

385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

P-90 is small and simple to use. The only thing complicated about that weapon is the feeding mechanism that rotates the round 90 degrees and it uses non-standard ammunition. FN USA (the company that manufactures the P-90) also makes the SCAR weapons & the M240 Machine Gun. SCAR being in heavy use by US Spec Ops and the 240 being used througout the US military. Although H&K do make some pretty good weapons... like the the G36, 416's, and MP line of weapons.
    Last edited by Hong3103; September 22nd, 2008 at 09:17 AM.

First Lieutenant

The first thing I would change is the enemy's tactics on the ground

p-90's are used cause they drop the empty case downwards. most guns do it sideways. with 4 people in a tight space, its bad to toss empty cases at eachother. thats why they use p-90's.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    p-90's are used cause they drop the empty case downwards. most guns do it sideways. with 4 people in a tight space, its bad to toss empty cases at eachother. thats why they use p-90's.
    That's a definite benefit in Close Quarter Battles but the troops should already train to overcome that. I've had a hot shell smack me in the face at the when I was qualifying at the rifle range and it wasn't pleasant but not the end of the world when it hit me.

P-90 has more rounds than the MP5. Plus the P-90 rounds (5.7mm) packs more a punch than the 9mm that MP5's use.