• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home, Part 1 (206)

Visit the Episode GuideGALACTICA SEASON TWO
    HOME, PART 1
    EPISODE NUMBER - 206

Lee joins President Roslin and Tom Zarek in a separatist fleet determined to explore Kobol, forcing Commander Adama to find a new flight leader for the Galactica.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 25 April 2011, 05:04 PM.

Best episode so far this season (Fragged 2nd best)
    Sweet ending
    sigpic

Comment

damn TBC

loved the eppy..

the shipper in me was frakkin' celebrating

Spoiler:
      i loved the lee/kara kiss and him tellin' her that he loves her

so much happenin' so little time. cant wait for next wks eppy as its also gonna frakkin' kick some major ass as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
        Best episode so far this season (Fragged 2nd best)
        Sweet ending
        Sweet?? Sweet????? Well, yeah, sweet with Dee... She's cool...

That was the most nail biting episode yet! And the priest... Well, crap! *pouts* I really liked her!!

I think there is going to be serious difficulty in living until next Friday!!!!!! The previews were just, just, just... ARGH!!!!!

I knew I should have just started taping the season and then watch them all when it was over!

Comment

Absolutely my favorite episode this season -- or have I used this line before? In any case, I love this show!

Maybe coherent thoughts will return to me later. At this moment, all I can say is: druggie or not, Laura, you are my hero.
          In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'd say that The Farm was the best episode yet IMO, followed by Fragged..ah hell this one was awesome too it's a tough call.

I did like all the LeexKara scenes, she's such a player it's good to see a woman in that role rather than a man for a change.

Although that screen cap with them kissing is going to show up on various shippers sigs I would imagine.

Zarek..man I hope one of the Adama's cap him and his character actor henchman.

Oh and what a nice first conversation for Helo and Apollo.

It's going to be a long week.

Comment

Here's this week's podcast excerpts. Portions spoken by David Eick are indicated with "DE".

--

This couple of episodes now is the culmination of all the arcs that began in season one. And in a very real sense, "Home" is the completion of the entire first season. After the conclusion of "Home, Part 2" you'll see that we begin different stories, there's more self-contained episodes, different story arcs begin. This is where it all comes to a conclusion. There was just too much material to wrap up. What we kept running into was, we could get through the plot in a one hour script, but you were missing all the fun of doing it. You were missing seeing Starbuck and Apollo reunite, you were missing Laura and Adama reunite, you were missing all the character interactions that the show is about. And it was a universally held feeling that we were just trying to do too much in one episode. And the network and the studio agreed, and so we had enough time to split this into two parts.

--

The kiss was Jamie's idea. Jamie was watching me do a rewrite on the set. That's how pathetic this process became. I was sitting on the set with my laptop doing rewrites while we were shooting episode four. Jamie was standing over my shoulder reading the return scene, [and] he said to me, "I should kiss her, we should kiss" or something like that. And I went, "oh my god, that's great." And so, I just wrote a version of it, and it made it all the way through the process. DE

--

It's a very untradiional kind of storyling that we're following. It's not that Adama is facing a crisis back on Galactica. He's not facing down the Cylons, the ship is not going to explode, he's not even going through an internal crisis or something. He's trying to move on, and representative of him trhing to move on is that someone has to be the new CAG, and bring in this guy who seemingly is everything you want the CAG to be, and he falls short.

--

This scene had a very literal godfather, which was a great moment in history, actually, where Al Haig takes the microphone at the podium, "I'm in charge." Here's a guy who's not in his right element here, and it was really just intended to speak to the absence of Laura Roslin. This is what she normally does. (DE)

--

The only inspiration for the [scene] was my wife and I took a trip to Alaska a year ago, and there was a bridge where we stood on and looked down on in the salmon spawning area. It was one of those really evocative images, you're looking at a very shallow river bed, and there were so many fish you couldn't even deal with it. It was just really bizarre and strange, and half of them were dying and spawning, and it was just like this weird life and death kind of place. From that, there was a sense of looking out at this other, these fish, that weren't really like you, and had this whole other world going on. I think it was interesting to suggest that Baltar is moving into a place where he was starting to look at humanity that way, where he was starting to look around and go, "I'm not really part of these guys any more."

--

What we're starting to say about Laura is that she's willing to say whatever she has to, to the Cylons. Again, she promised another Cylon, "Oh, don't worry, if you just do X, Y and Z, you'll be fine." And as soon as the guns come down, it's like toss her out the airlock. And Mary bridles a little bit against that because I think Mary is a person would never do that. She's not someone who would lie to your face and kill you. She's also concerned that Laura not be portrayed as duplicitous. But it felt right that you want your president to do ugly things every once in a while. There's a sense that we elected this person to make decisions for us that maybe we're afraid to make for ourselves.

--

And [Elosha's death is] really necessary in a way, because you're telling a story about the costs in blood for Laura to make this decision to go to Kobol and divide the fleet... And because Laura's role as the "prophet", or seer in the story, is about to reach a conclusion and spin the character in a different direction, back to a position of governance, and back to a position where she's got a more supportive dynamic with Adama, it seemed right that metaphorically you would kill the person who represented that chapter of her life. The priestess who she had depended upon, who had been her guide through this experience is someone she is no longer going to have in her life. DE

--

I love this leather jacket that they dug up for Tom Zarek. That's such a great little piece of wardrobe that just has added quite a bit to his character, in some sense. It's so anti-Apollo. It's vaguely sort of Nazi. You can put an SS cap on and it wouldn't look too out of place.

--

The thing about Richard is that he really is a completely different character in this. He's someone who is, as many of you know, was a very outspoken opponent of the reimagining of this show, and came full circle and elected to embrace it. And it didn't hurt that he was given a very compelling role that started last season. This guy shows up, he's the consumate professional, hits his marks, knows his lines, takes direction well. He may not be seen again for several episodes. You never hear from his people, you never get complaints, there's never any questions about "why aren't I in more of them?" I think he understands that in some respects, a little of his character goes a long way. (DE)

--

There's a scene coming up later where Adama is in his quarters with Dualla, and they're having a sort of heart to heart... It was supposed to be an escalation. It was supposed to be heart to heart scene with Dualla, and then he goes into CIC and the whole Birch thing blows up. And David said, we really didn't want that scene to be the straw to broke the camel's back any more. And it felt better that Dualla, the more heartfelt scene is the one that tips him over the edge ultimately. So we swapped the scene order in the editing room.

--

We forced the sound mixers to reprise a music cue we used one time last season and hadn't used at all this season, which is this Irish brogue from episode 110 ("The Hand of God"). And it seemed to me that it would be useful to do a simplified version of that starting here. So where you start with the drums you, and you start to hear the men humming, I just wanted this very masculine quality to his decision, because it is a magical thing we're doing. We're saying Adama of his own volition arrives at this very profound conclusion about what they're going to do. And it felt like it earned the right to have some sort of martial theme to it. (DE)
              Visit "Documents on Ron Moore's Galactica" at
              http://members.tripod.com/john_laroc...s/archive.html

Comment

There was sound with the explosions (and impacts) in space this episode. Has there been sound in space in previous episodes? I know we could always hear the guns firing, but external explosions?

Overall, I thought the episode was great, but the sound in space really threw me in a very negative way. Has it always been there? Maybe I've just seen too many Firefly episodes lately, but I love Galactica and I thought they did space correctly too?

Comment

wow.. the kiss was Jamies idea... thats so very cool
                  sigpic

Comment

Great episode, I'm so glad that the fleet is going to get back together at last. I can't wait till next week.

Comment

I am such a happy little shipper right now. And I can't say enough how much I love how the actors involved are both for it and are not afraid to say publically that they are for it. I loved the stuff between Sharon and Helo too. I'm still not entirely sure about Sharon (and I'm sure that that's the way it's supposed to be) but I'm really pulling for those 2 crazy kids.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Adama needs to get the fleet back together before he self-destructs. His internal rage over Lee was blinding him like Tigh’s drinking. Adama is just going to have to swallow his pride and do what’s best for everyone.

Go Dee! I loved that scene with her and Adama near the end. For a second there I was worried she had/or was going to tell him that she had helped Lee. Even Gaeta was telling Adama like it was – in regards to the new CAG.

Wow. Roslin using a threat to space Helo to force cooperation. I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t really mean it. You can’t accuse Roslin of not doing what she thinks it takes to get the job done. She is no PC president. I love her for that. As far as nearly spacing Boomer, eh, she had already lied to another one and then spaced him…..

Hehe. I know my personal view of the press colors how I see the press on BSG (I don’t care for them) so I loved when the guy stood up to accuse Adama of being a liar and when Adama approached him, he quickly sat back down. Course I don’t condone Adama threatening to throw people in the brig for expressing opinions even though I’d want to do the same thing. People in positions of power open themselves up to all kinds of attacks. It’s part of the job. And yes I know Adama is lying, but he has his reasons. The exact same reasons Roslin has for lying about her impending death.

Starbuck tossing the Pyramid ball reminded me of Steve McQueen in “The Great Escape” and ha, they’re on a prison transport ship. Ok, I’m not exactly sure I want to know why Lee smelled it though….. I’ll just go with it was akin to the act of smelling an old baseball glove..…

Glad Kara reminded him that his “halo” wasn’t so shiny any more.

I was so worried that Hotdog was about to buy it because of the new CAG. Yeah, I didn’t want Kat to die either but I like Hotdog and am fearful that the day will come when they kill the poor kid off. He may be EJO’s son, but that doesn’t mean that the actor isn’t expendable.

Dang. In a way I hope that they don’t kill Zarek next week (for some reason I have a feeling that that is a strong possibility) cause he makes for an interesting bad guy, but on the other hand, I want that guy gone. I can’t accuse Adama of purposely seeking to make himself into a “dictator.” Zarek on the other hand has those aspirations, imo. “The man with the guns makes the rules.” He just wants to use Roslin to his own advantage like I have believed all along. He espouses that he’s doing it to preserve the liberties and freedoms of the fleet, but I don’t buy it.

Overall, a great episode, though they kind of drug it out with pointing out that the new CAG was an irresponsible choice.

NOOOO……I can’t wait an entire week for the conclusion………
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          Dang. In a way I hope that they don’t kill Zarek next week (for some reason I have a feeling that that is a strong possibility) cause he makes for an interesting bad guy, but on the other hand, I want that guy gone
                          I don't think that they will kill Zarek any time soon, I have the feeling that his character will play a much more important and continued role in the future. I'm sure that the writers must have some interesting plot line involving Zarek and his fight for power when the President dies, which hopefully will no be any time too soon.

Comment

So where is Home... is it a place... or is it where people who care about each other come together and make a place for themselves? Or is it simply a place of familiarity and regularity. It's interesting that "family" is synonymous with "home" here and as dysfunctional as this family is, it gives its members a raison de'tre. When the fleet is divided... loyalties are divided, the raison de'tre is ripped from its soul and the desire to continue on the journey is lessened. Why survive when the reason for pushing ahead no longer exists?

Adama returns to work... but work is no longer home... The home that he thought he fostered is now a divided house. He cannot hide his disappointment... the people he loves and trusts left his side and took a path that was not of his choosing. Like the father who is experiencing the "empty nest"... he feels alone in his grief and the grief turns to anger. In his anger he chooses a successor to the son that left but deep inside he knows that he is "no Apollo".

The son also is not home... he is among strangers... True, he is with the mother-figure... and is reunited with an old friend. But he is not trusted and not safe from the strategems of those who fear the son and his bond with the mother-figure. Even while the father is not there... he is reminded of home, ironically by a cylon. He talks to his old friend of home... Caprica... a place that once was but now no longer is... home...

The cylon wants to have a home also... she has fallen in love with a man and wants to bear his child. She does all she can to make herself worthy of "home".

The dying leader is driven by one goal... to lead everyone to their final home... She cannot rest... she is "committed".

No one as yet has come home... but perhaps next week they will...
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Yeah I don't think Zarek is going anywhere anytime soon. I wonder if he knows that he was playing the role of Apollo before as well..

Comment

Working...
                              X