No announcement yet.

Trinity (206)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I'm so glad to finally have a Friday night in which I truly love all three shows the SciFi Channel has to offer. I'm glad that Atlantis finally had an episode this season that I almost completely enjoyed.

Well, there was McKay-Sheppard...and how can you go wrong with that. Truly. I don't care if they're arguing, bantering, discussing which rooms in Atlantis they'd like; the episode had the one thing I felt this season was more than a little lacking up till now; and I was more than satiated.

I'm having to reponder my feelings towards McKay, what with the sporatic, inconsistent writing of his character at the start, and then Duet, which took his character to an uncomfortable extreme that I found difficult to handle; I think felt like ShadowMaat said she did with him about this episode; in character, but cringeworthy to watch.

But while I enjoyed last weeks episode (certainly more than say Runner), I prefer episodes that are more character than plot driver, and I felt this one was much more so. I think it's fascinating (and yes, cringeworthy) watching the extremes McKay goes to in his obsession with science. And I absolutely loved some of his scenes with Sheppard--especially the one where he asked him for his trust.

The one thing I did wonder, with the ending scene, is did McKay really ever have Sheppard's full trust? Sheppard indicated so, but I don't know...hmmm...must ponder on this.

As for the Teyla-Ronon sup-plot...slightly better than I thought it would be. It showed minimal increase for Ronon's character. On the downside, I thought the breaks were cutting too much into the intensity of the other plot and was making me like it less. On the upside, I didn't think I'd ever say this, but go Teyla! I was so glad she told him off for using her. I like that she sympathized with him, but still reprimanded him for that. Teyla makes a good diplomat; they should concentrate more on that as an aspect of her personality and less on how high up her stomach her shirts go when she's fighting with sticks.

Yay! I love SciFi Friday again!
    Metroids are not pets
    Metroids are not for target practice
    Any unauthorized feeding of metroids is prohibited

Comment

I found it a very good episode tonight. Poor Mckay. Though on the other hand, I find it very interesting that he reverted back to his extreamely cocky, im always right attititude. It think one of the major parts to his character is that he is changing, and so he will revert back to his old nature. He has to learn to play nice with people now, and he has to realize that not everything is within his ability to handle, as was pretty much the case on earth. Its also interesting that he developed pretty much an obsession with making the power source work. I saw it that he wanted to make it work, not so he would be seen as a hero or anything, but because it would actually help all the people he was actually starting to get close to, and I also saw his obsession as a way for him to try and ignore the guilt that he felt over one of his scientists dying.
      Also I think the scenes between Mckay and Shepperd were very good. Its interesting to see how their relationship grows, and changes shape and how its effected by the things that happen. It will be interesting to see how they act towards each other in the next episode or two, as well as how mckay and weir act towards each other as well. It would be nice to see mckay in the doghouse for a little bit, because I think it could add some nice areas for character development.
      This episode definatly left the future wide open to a lot of possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
        I was looking forward to this episode, and as it turns out, I was correct in doing so. This was a great episode.

Best quote:

Weir: You destroyed three quarters of a solar system!
        McKay: Look. Five sixths...but its not an exact science.
        Weir: Rodney! Can you Give your ego a rest for one second?!

In fact, the entire scene with Weir yelling at McKay in the background was hillarious.

A pity we never got the power source to work right.

Oh, and I have to mention that I am continually impressed with the quality of the Visual Effects and props/scenery. I always love the cool little computer interfaces. And the Big Bad Zero Point generator looked neat as well.

i noticed oyu made it your sig as well haha man i dont blame mckay it wasnt really his fault though his being an ******* was uncalled for but when it comes to physics like that sometimes somepeople just have a different level of understanding and get pissed when others try to be at that level
        My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Interesting episode! I really liked the Ford/McKay and Telya/Ronan interaction. I really hated how stuck up McKay was, but that made him interesting to watch! I was also afraid Telya and Ronan's trek was going to be cliche, but the actors continue to impress In fact, I think Shepard is the least interesting character in the group to me! A few other notes:

1) The control room seemed inspired by Forbidden Planet and Star Trek Voyager's The Omega Directive. Both good things. :-)

2) So ZPMs do act as batteries and it has nothing to do with the Casimir effect. I suspected that, and applaud the powers that be for realizing that zero-point energy really means something different than popular accounts.

2) Zelenka's science was horrible at the end! It sounded good (virtual particles). However, the particles he described behave exactly like gluons in the nucleus of every atom! Gluons interact with themselves as well as hadrons. In fact, the Strong Force - which gluons mediate - gets stronger the more distance between hadrons. Yet it doesn't result in a chain reaction.

Comment

An OK episode IMHO. Not their best, but kinda interesting. It was a stand-alone, and they're usually not as good as continuity-based ones. But I guess as far as stand-alones go, it was alright. I must say though, it was definitely interesting to see McKay go to such great lengths to prove to everyone (as well as himself) that he really is super-brain and can do anything. Even when the device was overloading, he was still saying this shouldn't be happening, I didn't see that coming!

I give it two and a half stars out of five.
            Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Why this wp was called Trinity... I'm not exactly sure yet. Anyone care to explain?

If you look up the phrase: "I'm gonna squeeze your head like a cherry tomato!!!" up in the dictionary or your thesaurus, I'm pretty sure a picture of mckay is next to it. But I digress.

This was a great character building ep for the Sg universes's favorite little twerp. Not only did he unveil a particularly nincompoopy side to himself that I dare say I've never seen before, he kind of showed us the dangerous side of the scientist who believes - somewhere inside his soul - that he is part godman. As godman, it's his duty to do the best he can to ensure that his status is affirmed with his fellows and to assure himself that he is godman and has everything in control. Gotta say DH captured the annoying Mckay perfectly. I think godmen are usualy power hungry geeks anyway.

The Teyla/Dex sub story confused me. What were they doing again? I mustv'e not been paying attention. Up until Dex shot that guy I was like 'huh?' Besides some nice Dex footage, I'd say our beach babewatch hunk is slightly twitterpated with Teyla - of course, that could be the sugar coating coming at me. He seems a bit sneaky and foxy like. You never know what he might be thinking and he tries to cover up his sneakiness with a pure, innocent, blinding smile...which doesn't work on the smarter of the female gender. Hopefully Teyla sees through his subterfuge. They seem to have a nice bro/sis thing going on actually, and seeing as Teyla should be the older sister, I'd say she has the right to ground Dex.
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I really loved this episode. I got McKay & Zelenka's excitement at the beginning of the episode and I got McKay's reasoning for wanting to go back to the project even before he explained it. The whole thing rang true to his character; he needed to solve the problem, to understand why it didn't work. Then his inflated ego and glory-seeking nature kicked in and everything went to hell. But it needed to happen; no one can be right all the time and everyone had to learn that Rodney can't always do it all. It's like Weir said, "Sometimes I have to save Rodney from himself." Everyone learned that this ep, and they weren't happy about it.
                I also like that part of Rodney's problem here was thinking outside the box. He failed because he found himself in a situation where the normal laws of physics, the foundations of everything important in his life, didn't apply, and he couldn't truly get that in his head. Everyone from Earth in Atlantis is in a foreign situation, but Rodney had science to fall back on, it was something he could control. He's now found himself in a situation where the rules don't apply and he's out of control and he's been shaken by that.

The one-on-ones between McKay and Sheppard were great, David Hewlett nailed those. The writers did a brilliant job with those, too. I liked how they kept the lines very bare and formal and incomplete and let DH do the rest.

LOVED Zelenka. The Zelenka/McKay dynamic is always great to watch; Hewlett and Nykl play off each other well.

The Ronon-Teyla B-story was o.k., though I didn't feel compelled to watch it on the second run. It didn't tell me so much about Ronan as it did about Teyla. I like that she got why Ronan shot the guy, and was more pissed that he jerked her around than that he killed someone. She's a fighter and she understands the attitudes of people who've lived their whole lives under the Wraith, she's not just the pretty sidekick.

All-in-all, a pretty good ep.
                They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                Spoiler:
                Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwall
                  Hahaha NO. I would hazard a guess that this BSG episode ran long and so they cut SGA's credits to accomodate. The BSG podcast constantly mentions deleted scenes and such... presumably they just managed to get an extra few seconds in on this one.
                  I actually think it was the other way around with SGA running over as BSG started bang on 10pm PST according to my cable box. Actually SGA did feel like it ran a little longer than usual, maybe it was because the episode had a proper ending rather than the quick cutaway of last week.

Personally I'm willing to sacrifice the end credits and endure the shortened opening credits if it keeps the shows on the air, and gives the shows an extra minute or so to add a little more depth.

Comment

Ah, witness the McKay bashing. The long knives are out, and everyone's getting a juicy slice. Predictable. This is, after all, the board where Ancients are accused of being mass murderers, or was it Sheppard who was a psychopath, or, was it Teyla's fault that the Genii attacked, or .... heck, I can't keep track of all these condemnations. Please send a memo!

I think Rodney was overzealous, and not nearly cautious enough in this ep. That is undeniable. I just see the genesis of this quite differently. There are those who see McKay as borderline nuts, egomaniacal, manifesting a 'godman' complex. I see him as eager. Sheppard, mind you, had the same eagerness.

Rodney and Caldwell were right in pushing to explore the incredible possibilities that the technology offered. McKay knew the Ancients were building it when they were under Sieg. Everything he said as to the circumstances where it had not worked before was, to my way of thinking, plausible.

He was also quite right that keeping on was the only way to make Collins death mean something. You don't quit due to one setback, even if that setback is undeniably tragic. If we did that, we'd never have airplanes, or automobiles, or, well, much of anything.

It's impossible to overstate the value of something that would *power every machine on Earth, Atlantis, and any number of spaceships, forever.* In all things, you have to measure the risks against the possible rewards, and those risks do include human lives. Everyone on Atlantis knew that danger was very present when they joined. Of course, minimizing those risks is absolutely vital, but they can't be eliminated.

McKay is arrogant but it's not really unjustified. 99% of scientists in the world wouldn't even know where to begin. Most scientists wouldn't want to begin. He got very close. But did not succeed. But for Big D, he and Sheppard would be toast.

To me, the most compelling moments were Rodney asking for Sheppard's trust and realizing he had broken it badly. In a way, Rodney didn't return that trust by letting Sheppard pull him back when his own desires and focus made him blind to realities.
                    ~*~*~*~*~*
                    not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                      Ah, witness the McKay bashing. The long knives are out, and everyone's getting a juicy slice. Predictable.
                      Oh no, not everyone's bashing him. At least I hope not. I too saw him as passionate and driven and needing to know why it didn't work and wanting to make it work. He's a scientist. It's only natural. Unlike others, I didn't even cringe -- I liked that Rodney was being who he was, even if the egomonster ran a little rampant tonight. I loved Zelenka's utter exasperation and I loved all of Sheppard's reactions even more.

Liz has a chip on her shoulder when it comes to dealing with Caldwell. His query that maybe Collins made the fatal error was entirely reasonable. Liz instantly jumped down his throat about it, which seemed a bit much, even for her. I was amused and fascinated that Rodney tolerated her yelling (does a real leader yell and scream like that?) without seeming all that concerned about it, but when it came to apologizing to Sheppard, his heart was really in it there. That was so nice to see. I love the progression of their friendship --and it's really starting to feeling like a friendship now. Rodney's apology was touching and Sheppard's reaction to it was perfect. When he gave just that wee bit to let Rodney know that Rodney hadn't ruined everything...and those doors closed....and you could read every thought going through McKay's (and DH's) head by just the look in his eyes...and you just ached for him. What an utterly delicious actor DH is.

I don't remember any scene ever so lovely in any SG1 ep. I wish there had been scenes like that between Daniel and Jack, with such satisfying emotions and a sense of real connection. I really loved this ep.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this episode but somehow I think that that was the intention of TPTB. I like that they show how fallible Rodney is and how his arrogance gets the better of him, which is something that they never really managed to do on SG-1 very well, but at the same time I found myself thinking that even someone as conceited as McKay wouldn't put that many people are risk (the first time when everyone was telling him to shut it down) just because he was caught up. However, I think it's good that I was a bit disturbed. It gives you something to think about and I really hope that the consequences of this episode are addressed down the line.

As far as the Teyla/Dex storyline goes I actually quite enjoyed it. It gave more insight into both Teyla and Dex's characters and they, like McKay, were found fallible in their own ways (just not on as large of a scale as poor Rodney). I understood Ronan's reasonings behind his actions but, like Teyla, found the way he went about executing said actions to be a bit shady. And I was honestly surprised that Teyla would suggest keeping something like that from the rest of the team. Might it not be important for them to know that Ronan used Teyla without her knowledge in order to kill a man in cold blood? Even if he may have really deserved it? That may be something that they might want to keep in mind when going out on missions with him but whatever.

I'm also not sure how I felt about the fact that Liz apparently can't say no to Shep and that everybody seems to be aware of that fact. I do think that when push comes to shove Weir is a strong enough leader to make decisions on her own but I'm not sure about the fact that she's swayed so much by Shep's opinion. Of course he is her second in command and she should value his opinion so maybe it's just the ship aspect of it that's making me so leery. I admit to starting to see a bit of ship between those two characters, though I'd not go so far as to call myself a Shep/Weir shipper. Many people felt that the ship between Sam and Jack weakened her as a military officer and as a capable women in her own right and I'd rather not have that talk start up again with different people.
                        Last edited by Shipperahoy; 19 August 2005, 11:24 PM.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I think with McKay, one HAS to yell sometimes to get stuff into his head. He's so *smart* he doesn't listen well to others...

...I too thought this ep bore resemblance to VOY's "The Omega Directive," but once again, Stargate's approach is far superior.

I thought the set resembled the Ori village in "Avalon"---a redress probably? The 'bridge' seemed especiall familiar.

How was Ronan's teacher exactly a 'traitor'? It was explained so fast I didn't figure it out exactly. My guess is he ordered his men to stand their ground in a futile fight when their planet was being invaded...instead he shouldn't have told them to stay at their posts? Or did he do something more malicious, such as blindly sacrifice his men to ensure his escape...on a ship perhaps? And I wonder how Ronan's other friend would have reacted?

Also, what was the 'Trinity' in this ep? Was it Rodney/Shep/Weir? Or Teyla/Ronan/other guy?

The Redshirt moment was pretty obvious this time, I also felt that 'passage' reminded me of 'Resident Evil' the movie. Too bad about Collins...

...liked the SFX of the planet, and the graveyard...this ep was pretty good, not as enjoyable for me as 'Condemned' but still pretty good. McKay this season has reverted back to early S1 McKay, and so he had to be brought down a notch, and learn from his mistakes. He truly perverted the meaning of Collins' death to suit his own ambitions, and I don't think he fully learned his lesson on this.

And is there the preview for next week's SGA ep somewhere?
                          sigpic

Comment

At this rate it'll only be a couple more eps before Teyla starts showing up to briefings with black eyes and bruises and saying she fell down the stairs or ran into a door and that Ronon would never hurt her on purpose.

Ronon has a lot of issues. Mostly violence and rage, but also an alchohol problem, too. These aren't the sort of problems that build character or something that a relationship can fix. They're the type of problems that end up with Ronon hurting someone. (Hurt as in 'kill', not hurt as in 'feelings').

And with each bad act, Teyla gets closer to him. She's going on a friendly trading mission and Ronon wants to make it a date. Teyla says sure, and then tells him to just bring concealable weapons. Huh? What? How about telling the ex-kidnapper not to bring any weapons at all because they're just going to the store to buy some seeds? But no, Teyla likes her men dangerous. And guess what happens during the negotiations? Ronon brandishes his knife and threatens a man. Now at this point. Teyla should be thinking that maybe Ronon needs to leave. But no, she gives him a good stern talking to, instead. I'm sure that'll work.

Then Ronon gets good news and handles it by getting drunk. So drunk that he can barely stand. Firstly, getting drunk when you get great news is not an acceptable response. Hey, my wife just had a healthy baby boy! I'm going to get falling down drunk. Wow, my mom just came out of surgery and will make a full recovery, guess it's time to get stupid drunk. There are survivors from my home planet, wait a sec while I get plastered. Thats the sign of someone who doesn't drink responsibly. Maybe he's not an alcoholic...yet.

There's more. So he lies to Teyla to get her to set up a meeting with Kel. And then he kills Kel in front of her. No trail, no explanation. Ronon thinks this man should die. And so he kills him. Teyla pretends she's mad but at this point, her words are hollow and Ronon knows it. And she proves it by saying they should keep it a secret. Really Teyla? You're so upset with him for lying to you, endangering your life, and killing a man in cold blood that you don't want anything to happen to him? I hope she's on the jury when I decided to break a few laws. Oh wait, she gave him another stern talking too. The first one worked so well that instead of brandishing a knife, he shot a man in the chest at close range. You go girl.

This is so by the book that it can't be an accident in the writing. Teyla is being written as a battered woman who makes excuses for her man while deluding herself into thinking she's in control of things.

This is the 3rd episode where this type of stuff happens so it can't be dismissed as a fluke.

D

Comment

Wouldnt this powersource make an extremely deadly weapon??? Id say that something that can destoy a large part of a solar system in 1 go coudl have its uses?? Maybe if they can scale down teh area it would be really usefull.

On the name of the episode. Trinity remind of of the first atomic bomb test and is often sometimes used in sci fi to describe thsi kind of device soemthing that is extremely powerful but yet hard to contol.

I ddint really care for the b story too much.

It would have been awesoem to actully see the destruction of the solar system instead of this stargate graphic and then the end.

Comment

I'll post my thoughts later, but it seemed that people's question as to the title of the episode hadn't been answered, so I thought I'd pitch in.

source: http://mboard.scifi.com/showflat.php...gonew=1#UNREAD

Originally posted by AdmiralFletcher
                                It is an homage to the name of the test site used by the Americans in WWII when they developed and detonated their atomic bomb.

McKay kept referencing the planet as the Ancient equivalent of the Manhatten Project. Manhatten Project was the code name for the atomic bomb project.

Comment

Working...
                                X