No announcement yet.

Condemned (205)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe we're halfway through to the mid-season break already... And I've hardly said a word about Atlantis yet...

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
    of 'Condemned'

I was worried that this episode would be like 'Prisoneres', what with the whole "stargate in the penal colony" thing, but it wasn't. As far as stand-alone episodes go, this was a pretty good one. The appropriately terrifying ending put a huge smile on my face (come to think of it, 'Prisoners' had a "scary" ending as well... Not at all the same, though). And of course, there was the usual nice blend of humor in there ("Who am I? MacGyver?") and some action (sweet, sweet violence) at the end.

Random Observations!
    - So... Some wraith do eat food, though not out of actual need.
    - Ronon continues to kick ass.
    - The short opening still sucks, even more so now that I've seen the full one-minute title sequence. Sigh...
    - Is that the third episode in a row for Major Lorne? I'm starting to like him.
    - I don't normally do "net speak", but: LOL @ Sheppard trying to break that stick in half!
    - Hope those Wraith cruisers didn't see where Sheppard & co. gated off to...
    - Hmm... Beckett didn't appear in this episode at all. Which is strange, since they made him a regular. But hey - some early SG-1 episodes didn't have Hammond appearing in them, so it's hardly unprecedented.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      Am I wrong, or did the leader guy come in and immediately single out McKay for fixing the ship? How would HE know that McKay's a scientist? And how would he know all that stuff about his personality? And that he was lying about not being able to fix the ship?
      Hey, we never found out where Hannibal Lecter ran off to... Pegasus it is.
      Originally posted by Shipperahoy
      It was pretty funny because my 10 year old nephew is over this morning and he loves this stuff so I put it on for him and I just about laughed myself silly when he starts yelling at the t.v. for Sheppard to cloak the puddlejumper when he's flying over the island to get back to the gate because it's pretty much exactly what I was thinking to myself when I watched it last night.
      Didn't they say the cloak was damaged?
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
        Didn't they say the cloak was damaged?
        Yeah...after they got fired upon. What I (and apparently my 10 year old nephew) thought was that if they had any brains at all they would have already had the cloak on since they knew that they were flying over hostile territory.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I liked this episode quite a bit, but Ronan's ranting about revenge on the convict leader seemed a bit off. He's been practicing stealth and, presumably, a 'kill the hunter and book it before friends arrive' sort of M.O. for years now. The rant just didn't seem like what I'd expect from a disciplined ex-military, survivalist type dude. That said, Boy, I like to watch him fight!! And when Teyla broke that stick in two! Ooo, that had me licking my chops. Yes UP, sweet sweet violence!

Weir and The Boys! THAT'S how I want Weir to be! Yeah baby!

That food scarfing, wine chugging wraith was a neat variation on the theme. I especially liked it when he leaned over his host to snarl threats and a string of wraithspit dripped from his mouth. *creeped*

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
            That's a bit of a stretch. Anyway, I doubt the writer(s) of this episode had anything Faustian or even particularly literary on their minds when writing this one, because it really came across like a plot scrabbled up at the last minute, twisted and punched against all logic into script form and shot without any thoughtful rumination on whether it really held together in a believable way. If there's a moral to the story, it's that you ought to spend some time mulling over your plot ideas before thrusting them on the rest of the world.

I don't know, I like reading Easter Lily's detailed plot analysis for each episode--they're always thought-provoking and interesting.

I also kind of think the writer(s) often DO have something literary or that is an homage or has hidden meaning when they come up with their plots. I know they do when they come up with titles of the episodes, so why wouldn't they when they actually write the things?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I haven't read all the posts on this ep, but here are some thoughts...

I did like this episode. Some things in particular that I liked:

- When the good guys run out of the Jumper to fight the bad guys, Teyla picks up a small branch & breaks it in half over her knee to use as a weapon. Shep picks up a small branch/large stick and tries to do the same thing, but ends up only hurting his knee. LOL!!!

- speaking of that scene, I liked the hand-to-hand fighting. Not enough of that on these shows, imho.

- I liked the creepiness & suddenness of the ending. That Magistrate (guess he was promoted from his old position of Canon in the Milky Way galaxy up to Magistrate in Pegasus ) saw what was happening, and the look of horror on his face was... priceless.

I do have one question... one thing I think is really neat about Atlantis is how they all wear the little earpieces. Those are so cool! But I don't know if I've ever seen the Atlantis team carry 2-way radios (walkie-talkies). But conveniently, for this episode, they had them, so the bad guys could use them to spy on them. Am I mistaken? Have they carried the radios before? I don't know the range of the headsets, so maybe that's a factor. ???

Comment

I'd also like to know who rates wearing a headset. Weir was wearing one, but Lorne and his guys weren't. And Shep and his team were wearing them, weren't they? Before the crash?

Comment

I'd also like to know who rates wearing a headset. Weir was wearing one, but Lorne and his guys weren't. And Shep and his team were wearing them, weren't they? Before the crash?
                  Which begs the question, do the headsets interface with the handheld radios?

Comment

knowing what would happen when the islanders escaped was disturbing. their actions may have just wiped out a civilisation!

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
                      This episode suffered from 'wtf' disease. Stuff happened that really didn't make sense except to move the plot forward. Plus, I liked this episode better the first time I saw it, when it was called No Escape and had Ray Liotta in it.

When Shep and crew are flying back to the gate, Why are they going low enough to get hit with what amounts to cannon balls? They dont have to cruise at 35,000 feet all the time but why skim the treetops when flying over land you know is hostile?

Why would the Wraith guy need to come up with a 'deal' to eat people on the island? Why doesnt he just fly into the city and pull up lunch and dinner whenever he wants? It's like a farmer making deals with chickens. Doesn't make sense.

Wier must still be upset over getting dumped because she was in hostile mode from the get go. She barely got through her first paragraph before the threats started flowing. And this is before there was any reason to suspect any wrongdoing.

Shepard just let loose a bunch of murderers on another planet. Murderers. A lot of them. Plus a few white collar criminals. That seems like a really bad call.

Ronon has yet to do anything that couldn't be done by a trained soldier. A few hundred of which got to Atlantis weeks before he did. Why is he on a team? What did he do except eat some stew and make fun of Shepard? He shouldn't even be in the city, much less on a team. Give Ronon's spot to the new SG guy that looks like Ted McGinley. He's cool.

D
                      Well D, I guess we are in the minority bec I agree with you on all your points (except maybe the Ted McGinley thing). I found myself asking is Sheppard really military? No scanning the area, coming right out of the Jumper after it crashed landed, always right into trouble. It advanced the plot but it was too convenient. I also wondered why there weren't any women prisoners. And the head prisoner dude, generic, not scary.

One thing I did like was the endocarditis line from McKay. He is such a hypochondriac. If it wasn't for him the episode wouldn't have had much drive at all.

--kris

Comment

Here's a question: Why dial back to Atlantis? Aren't they worried that the Wraith might be monitoring and find out where they're going?

I can see not wanting to go where the prisoners went (although they could have gated there, somewhere else, and THEN Atlantis), but why not gate to ANOTHER world so that if the Wraith learn anything, they'll only find a random world and not Atlantis.

Or maybe there's an obvious reason and I'm too hungry to think of it.

*wanders off to find food*

Comment

I loved this episode. It had the suspense, action and comedic moments that reminded me of season one. This is by far my favorite ep in the series to date.

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
                          Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

Here's a question: Why dial back to Atlantis? Aren't they worried that the Wraith might be monitoring and find out where they're going?

I can see not wanting to go where the prisoners went (although they could have gated there, somewhere else, and THEN Atlantis), but why not gate to ANOTHER world so that if the Wraith learn anything, they'll only find a random world and not Atlantis.
                            Good point.

I did like this episode. Weir going off-world was interesting. But I thought she should have brought a larger team.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGonJohn
                              Weir going off-world was interesting. But I thought she should have brought a larger team.
                              Pffft. She had Lorne. She knew she was in good hands.

Comment

Or maybe there's an obvious reason and I'm too hungry to think of it.

*wanders off to find food*
                                That's so smart and I join you in your query. Shadow, I nominate you to pre-read the scripts before production and pick out these very obvious questions, quite legit. Just add this to all the other wtf's in this episode.
                                Hope you got some food. ---kris

Comment

Working...
                                X