No announcement yet.

Duet (204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I have one question. Who do we pay to ensure that Martin Gero writes all of the "SGA" eps from now on? I realize it would probably cost quite a bit to compensate him for the ungodly workload he'd have to put in, but I figure if we get enough fans together, we could swing it.

So...who's with me?

Seriously though, I loved this episode, and McKay's not even my favorite character. I think it's mostly because, even though it centered on McKay, all of the characters had their moments, including those from both the main and secondary tiers. I also love the way he takes time for the small things, and doesn't get carried away with the "A Plot." Things like Shep and Weir waiting in the infirmary for Rodney to wake up, Shep taking the time to make sure Rodney knows he ordered the dart to be shot down, and Dex going to Teyla to ask "alien to alien" why she stays. To my mind, MG shows the characters a level of care and respect none of the other writers do, keeping their relationships and connections alive, while revealing sides other writers don't show us. He isn't content to take the easy laugh or have the characters act like one-note caricatures. He *gasp* writes people. And I think I love him for it!

So who's with me? How much do you think we could raise if we started right now?
    Last edited by PsychoPenguin; 05 August 2005, 08:02 PM.
    "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
      So...who's with me?
      I am!

I dunno about writing ALL the eps, but a lot of them would be nice.

And apparently TPTB realize how good he is, too, because they're trying to get him to buffer up SG-1 in his spare time.

Comment

SSSH you guys..duet is on!...again.

i agree with most of you...this episode probably is one of my absolute fave eps of atlantis. its sooo great.

I do agree that McKay did kinda over-react a few times...more than was really needed. he was a bit more over-arrogent in this ep than most but i can understand that as well...he did have another consciousness in his head.

I wished there were more scenes with Ronon...his character isnt developed and at the rate they're going its not gonna be developed for a while! but hey i'm not complaining, sometimes it takes a while and thats fine but i just dont want him to be another HELO from BSG (because i find him under developed still too).

I agree with the way the filming was when McKay would go from one consciousnees to another...it was a bit...i dunno...it would have been just as good if they would focus on him and keep rolling and not switch views.

Poor Zelenka...always getting abuse from McKay.

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
        Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
        Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
          I agree with the way the filming was when McKay would go from one consciousnees to another...it was a bit...i dunno...it would have been just as good if they would focus on him and keep rolling and not switch views.
          Yeah... if I had ANY quibble, that would be it. David doesn't need jolting camera angles to tell us who's who, he can do it all on his own. The constant switching got distracting and detracted a bit from the scene. Who directed the ep? *wanders off to look*

Comment

oh...lets not forget to mention Beckett! he was great too!

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
            Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
            Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin

Seriously though, I loved this episode, and McKay's not even my favorite character. I think it's mostly because, even though it centered on McKay, all of the characters had their moments, including those from both the main and secondary tiers. I also love the way he takes time for the small things, and doesn't get carried away with the "A Plot." Things like Shep and Weir waiting in the infirmary for Rodney to wake up, Shep taking the time to make sure Rodney knows he ordered the dart to be shot down, and Dex going to Teyla to ask "alien to alien" why she stays. To my mind, MG shows the characters a level of care and respect none of the other writers do, keeping their relationships and connections alive, while revealing sides other writers don't show us. He isn't content to take the easy laugh or have the characters act like one-note caricatures. He *gasp* writes people. And I think I love him for it!

So who's with me? How much do you think we could raise if we started right now?
              That's it exactly. I loved all the scenes you mentioned. It's the little character moments that really bring these eps to life. That's what has always struck me about Martin Gero's eps, even in action-heavy episodes like "The Storm" and "The Eye", the characterization is always superb and is never neglected or pushed aside for the action.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Elliot
                Of course, Duet was amazing! My expectations were blown through the roof! Haha, thank you Martin Gero!

*McKay/Cadman banter was the best...DH did an amazing job playing both parts as man and woman. Great job!
                *Good fight scenes with Ronan and Teyla and the other soldiers - too bad there was little Teyla (what little there was included little clothing as well..ridiculous but she is flexible)
                *Weir/Ronan and Teyla/Ronon and Sheppard/McKay and Cadman/Beckett...all amazing!
                *Did anyone notice the slip-up (either intentional or by mistake) Weir made while talking to Ronan...she said "Major Sheppard"

Frakkin headache right now and BSG is on, so I shall go. Cannot wait until Condemned next week!
                Yeah, I noticed she called him "Major Sheppard" instead of Colonel. I guess she hasn't gotten used to his new rank yet either.

I loved the scene with Sheppard and Weir, when she tells him that Ronon will be his responsibilty. Reminded me of when my parents finally let my brother I get a dog.

I also liked the scene with Dr. Heightmeyer and McKay, (when he's complaining about Cadman taking over his body) and Mckay starts arguing back and forth with Cadman and the camera keeps changing perspectives. Kind of a LOTR, Gollum/Smeagol moment.

Comment

Thank you, writers--you have taught me to hate my favorite character. Not only could I hardly sit through this episode, I had to keep changing the channel and kept uncomfortably switching positions while trying not to watch lest I keep cringing through the agonizing decay of McKay's character.

There actually was a point when I think I could've enjoyed this episode, to an extent; but that time would most certainly not be coming on the heels of the previous three episodes, capped off by last week's humiliating and frustrating demorilization. I still think DH is a great actor, and he probably had a blast with this episode; but I just couldn't watch it; it was too...I don't know...frustrating...

*sigh* Can we please, please, please, please turn him back into something other than pure comedic plot device? No longer is he the whiny--but necessary, and loveable--scientist from Hot Zone, Defiant One, Hide and Seek, The Eye, The Storm, The Siege... He's not even the over-confident, womanizing jerk of 48 Hours. He's just annoying.

Okay, I'm going to cross my fingers and pray that things turn out well, and that he turns back into a serious character; in the near future, preferrably. Because, much as I love Sheppard, I don't think I can watch the series if I continue to find it this agonizing to sit through anything involving McKay.

I may be alone in this opinion, which is fine; I mostly was feeling the need to get on here and vent.
                  Metroids are not pets
                  Metroids are not for target practice
                  Any unauthorized feeding of metroids is prohibited

Comment

I'm still on a high from this episode - what a gem.

My husband HATES McKay but even he was saying what a terrific job Hewlett did. Comedy is so very difficult to do, and Hewlett was just a master at his craft tonight.

So much was going on in this episode. We learned much more about Ronon (hey, I REALLY like this guy!). A few sparks between Ronon and Teyla , Zelenka. . I just love him (to all our Czech posters. . please translate for us!), good to see the German scientist (she even spoke *LOL*).

Major Lorne was back! *clapping*

For Paul Mc. - you're a good sport - cyber hug from me.

Mr. Gero and Mr. DeLuise. . thank you for a wonderful episode!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

As I have said in a couple other threads...LOVED IT!!!!

McKay killed me...I laughed so much!!! It was great, and yes worth watching again, and I am while workin' the late shift....

Take a bow everyone!!! I won't go into all the details, since I am working...just wanted to post here and tell the cast and crew BRAVO!!!
                      Purple's Biggest Fan
                      A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiGeek
                        Thank you, writers--you have taught me to hate my favorite character. Not only could I hardly sit through this episode, I had to keep changing the channel and kept uncomfortably switching positions while trying not to watch lest I keep cringing through the agonizing decay of McKay's character.
                        So, tell us, how exactly would Rodney McKay handle having another consciousness in his brain, including seizures?

I can answer that question thusly, just off the top of my head:

(1) Snarking
                        (2) Dealing with it bossily and badly
                        (3) Applying his brilliant mind to the problem
                        (4) Coming through, in the end, with kindness and compassion

We saw all this in Duet. Thus, Duet was absolutely McKay, absolutely in character.

What we saw in Runner was NOT in character. McKay this week was not a continuation of the goofy moments of Intruder and the bad goofy moments of Runner.

Big, huge, fracking difference there. They might superficially look somewhat the same, but the writer of Duet understands McKay and wrote him very well here.
                        Last edited by not so ancient; 05 August 2005, 08:42 PM. Reason: messed up italics
                        ~*~*~*~*~*
                        not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I liked Ronon's willingness to train the other troops... and their willingness to let him.

Is it an example of people being ridiculously trusting? Maybe. But I still thought it was a nice touch, and one I could believe.

Nice Ronon moments. I'm already warming to him.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiGeek
                            *sigh* Can we please, please, please, please turn him back into something other than pure comedic plot device? I may be alone in this opinion, which is fine; I mostly was feeling the need to get on here and vent.
                            On the top, yes, we are centering on the comedic aspects of this episode - heck we were laughing all the way through. But what was so impressive was that Hewlett managed to show McKay's terror of finding someone ELSE in his mind. . the frustration of no one believing him at first. . embarrassment at Cadman seeing him "exposed" ( ) desperation at not being able to fix the problem, and when he discovered that Cadman might have to die for him to survive, there was true sadness in his face. Such a mixture of emotion - funny, but touching at the same time. That's what impressed me so much.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                              We saw all this in Duet. Thus, Duet was absolutely McKay, absolutely in character.

What we saw in Runner was NOT in character. McKay this week was not a continuation of the goofy moments of Intruder and the bad goofy moments of Runner.

Big, huge, fracking difference there. They might superficially look somewhat the same, but the writer of Duet understands McKay and wrote him very well here.
                              I agree. Granted, I'm not a McKay fan, but when I watched this, I thought, "Finally! The McKay fans will have something to be happy about." "The snark" and "the funny" were in full swing without any of "the whiny." And "the whiny" was what bugging me about McKay in the first half of last week's "Runner."

I liked Ronon's willingness to train the other troops... and their willingness to let him.

Is it an example of people being ridiculously trusting? Maybe. But I still thought it was a nice touch, and one I could believe.
                              I did too. And speaking as someone who's gotten thrown around a lot of mats, I loved those scenes! I know there were many great McKay lines in this, but my absolutely favorite one belonged to "unnamed marine number one"--"Why don't you try this again." beat "Sir."

Hubby and I just cracked up at it *again*. It is so the way one of his guys would have verbally flipped him the bird.
                              "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

i can't wait to see this ep! from the sounds of it it was a good ep! dare i say a cult???

elly: "Look dude, talk to the host 'cause the goa'uld ain't listening!"

HELEN: "Do NOT walk blood through my house!"

NIKOLA: "How am I supposed to get to the infirmary then?"

HELEN: "I don't care if you sprout wings and flap there Nikola, as long as you don't wreck my good carpet."

Earth: "S**t happens" BSG: "Pencils break"

Comment

Working...
                                X