Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Dr Weir a case of nepotism? (Intruder spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Dr Weir a case of nepotism? (Intruder spoilers)

It is already a bit surprising that Weir is reconducted on Atlantis, but, ok, let's admit it is necessary for the show. Here is what she does in SGC, as at last she is fully in charge of something:

- She succeeds in having her friend Shepperd back on the crew, despite his apocalyptic results in the Pegasus galaxy, and she even obtains a promotion for him despite he should have "un-promoted".

- She use her authority to add her husband for a central job on Atlantis, and it is only because HE doesn't want to that she doesn't succeed.

Well, I can tell you this kind of attitude is considered as a serious evil at the United Nations and in the United States Air Force. It is not an unknown practice, it can happen, but not in public exposure, and it is certainly a transgression to show the main heroin of a popular series doing that.

In real life courts have already condemned such a behaviour.
    No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
    I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
    Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

A) He's not her husband.
    B) She only asked why he wasn't on Carson's list, he wouldn't have been added to the pool Carson was considering if he wasn't qualified.
    C) Sheppard is the lead so he's hardly going anywhere

Comment

I didn't get the impression that Weir used her power to get Simon to join the Atlantis expedition. She wanted Simon to be with her, as Simon already have the necessary security clearance, it would have been easier to get him on the short-list.

But Simon didn't want to lose his new love or his rich happy life on Earth.
      Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
      WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

I dissagree with the Sheppard situation being nepotism. If thats true then you can say the only reason Tea'lc or Daniel ever got on SG-1 was because of nepotism. Sheppard was added to the expedition at the request of Weir who didnt know him and she was impressed enough with his job to want to keep him in the job. Nothing nepotismistic (is that a word) about it.

Now the Simon thing, thats a whole other ball game. First she gets him security clearance and now she gets him put on the short list for a job!!!
        As far as I know no other expedition team member was allowed to leave a message for their family saying what they were doing and I dont know that any were even allowed to suggest friends or relatives for jobs. Certainly some of them must have had friends, relatives or collegues who would qualify for security clearance or who could have added somthing to the expedition but they dont get the same prevledge as Weir. They cant just get their friends, family and collegues thrown on the short list. This seems like Nepotism at its best.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Emm.. the President gave Simon the security clearance not Weir.
          Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
          WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
            It is already a bit surprising that Weir is reconducted on Atlantis, but, ok, let's admit it is necessary for the show. Here is what she does in SGC, as at last she is fully in charge of something:

- She succeeds in having her friend Shepperd back on the crew, despite his apocalyptic results in the Pegasus galaxy, and she even obtains a promotion for him despite he should have "un-promoted".

- She use her authority to add her husband for a central job on Atlantis, and it is only because HE doesn't want to that she doesn't succeed.

Well, I can tell you this kind of attitude is considered as a serious evil at the United Nations and in the United States Air Force. It is not an unknown practice, it can happen, but not in public exposure, and it is certainly a transgression to show the main heroin of a popular series doing that.

In real life courts have already condemned such a behaviour.
            Disclaimer.

(1) Sheppard cannot be held responsible for awakening all the Wraith. He had no way of knowing that killing those who held Sumner, and those who were on the ship holding his people and the Athosians, would awaken all Wraith, everywhere. He has done everything, including undertaking a suicide bombing mission of a hive ship that was moments away from successful, to fight the Wraith.

(2) As for what else Sheppard has done, if he had been that out of line, he would have been out, and it would have been beyond Weir's influence.

(3) Simon is not Weir's husband.

(4) Simon is evidently a very qualified physician and researcher and was a trustworthy enough person to have been given Secret clearance, which is not an easy thing. If she was trying to get an unqualified person onto the team just because she's personally attached to him, that's nepotism. This is not.

(5) If it were a case of nepotism, Weir would have been busted on it before it ever got to the point where we saw it in the show.

(6) Weir doesn't report to the UN. She reports to unnamed international allies who are aware of the Stargate program.

(7) Heroin is a drug. Heroine is a woman who displays heroism. I hope that's what you mean.
            ~*~*~*~*~*
            not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Nepotism: unfair practice in which people in power give positions in a government or organization to their relatives or friends, rather than to any individual who is well-qualified. This can lead to inefficiency in the functioning of the government or organization, since hiring is based on personal connections, rather than ability or merit. In addition, nepotism can cause conflicting loyalties for the person who receives the job: he or she may be more loyal to the person who hired him or her than to the government or organization.

I guess there is a certain amount of nepotism but it doesnt bother me
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                I dissagree with the Sheppard situation being nepotism. If thats true then you can say the only reason Tea'lc or Daniel ever got on SG-1 was because of nepotism. Sheppard was added to the expedition at the request of Weir who didnt know him and she was impressed enough with his job to want to keep him in the job. Nothing nepotismistic (is that a word) about it.

Now the Simon thing, thats a whole other ball game. First she gets him security clearance and now she gets him put on the short list for a job!!!
                As far as I know no other expedition team member was allowed to leave a message for their family saying what they were doing and I dont know that any were even allowed to suggest friends or relatives for jobs. Certainly some of them must have had friends, relatives or collegues who would qualify for security clearance or who could have added somthing to the expedition but they dont get the same prevledge as Weir. They cant just get their friends, family and collegues thrown on the short list. This seems like Nepotism at its best.
                It's not Nepotism. Nepotism is giving freinds or family jobs simply becuase they are friends and family.
                As to Shep, he was doing a good job and they worked well together. I think Weir was standing up for Shep, like he stood up for her with Everret.
                Not trying to get her friend a promotion. The promotion didn't come up till the military guys said shep's rank was too low to lead.
                As to Simon, she wanted her boyfriend/husband to come along. Is that so wrong??
                All she would have done was add him to Beckitt's list. If Beckitt had scratched him, he scratched him.
                Nepotism would mean Simon was simply added to the list.
                THer is a very big difference between this and nepotism.

Comment

Carson said himself that Simon was "more qualified than me," so I would hesitate to say that having Simon join the expedition would have been only because of his relationship with Dr. Weir. I'm sure if Carson's mother or Rodney's cat had something equal to contribute to the expedition as anyone else, they would have been invited as well.
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I agree no Nepotism with Sheppard at all.

I am still iffy on Simon. We dont know what his qualifications really are so we cant really know for sure if he is qualified or not. We know that the President did give him security clearance (probably as a favor for Weir as there is no other apparent reason to do it) and that not only was he on the short list but Weir made a point of asking Beckett why he wasn't on his list. Beckett said he didnt sign the form, so Weir went home and told Simon to Sign the form and even before he did this she was preparing the "last meal at home" as if she was sure he would get the job if he just signed the form..... That last bit of being so sure hes going to get the Job and the "suggesting" to Carson that he should be on the list makes me think Nepotism (favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power).
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                      Carson said himself that Simon was "more qualified than me," so I would hesitate to say that having Simon join the expedition would have been only because of his relationship with Dr. Weir. I'm sure if Carson's mother or Rodney's cat had something equal to contribute to the expedition as anyone else, they would have been invited as well.
                      Carson said all the canidates (or most) were more qaulified then him. The question is was Simon more qualified then the other canidates. We have no validation one way or the other. (Though I think it is safe to say he had the worst hair of all the canidates... would be pretty hard to outdo that do).

Comment

It is already a bit surprising that Weir is reconducted on Atlantis, but, ok, let's admit it is necessary for the show.
                        Well, no, it's not really surprising. It's an international expedition, and there's no way the international community would stand for an American military commander. Weir is evidently on good terms with the leaders involved, so it's no big surprise that she stays.
                        Here is what she does in SGC, as at last she is fully in charge of something:
                        At last she's fully in charge of something? She was put in charge of the entire gate program back in the end of SG-1's Season 7. She was put in charge of the Atlantis expedition. Now, you can talk about how well people follow her orders, but she IS in charge, and has been for a while.

Losing Sheppard, with his superior ability to control Ancient technology, would be like amputating an arm because of a sprained wrist. And since it's obvious that the candidate to replace him as commander didn't want him around, the only option she had was to push for him remaining in command of the military contingent. The only way for that to happen was him getting promoted. Weir did what she had to in order to keep someone she considered vital to the expedition.

Good grief. He's not her husband. They're not married and never were. TPTB have said so.

She didn't add him, either; she asked Carson if he'd considered Simon. She didn't tell him why she was asking either, and it was evident from "Home" that she hadn't told people about her boyfriend back on Earth. Had Simon been selected and agreed to go, it would have been on his own merits.

Yup, nepotism is a bad thing, but so is heroin. Seriously, though, it wasn't nepotism. Simon probably made the list of candidates anyway, and Carson wanted to include him on the short list without knowing anything about his relationship with Elizabeth. Besides, had Elizabeth really been practicing nepotism, she would have gotten him to come on the expedition in the first place rather than waiting a year.

As far as I know no other expedition team member was allowed to leave a message for their family saying what they were doing and I dont know that any were even allowed to suggest friends or relatives for jobs.
                        It's my understanding that they got to tell next-of-kin. In Elizabeth's case, I assume that Simon was listed as the person to be notified in case of her death. So Ford's grandparents would know, but his cousin wouldn't.
                        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                        Last update: 14 April 2006
                        Melyanna's Multimedia
                        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Carson said all the canidates (or most) were more qaulified then him. The question is was Simon more qualified then the other canidates. We have no validation one way or the other. (Though I think it is safe to say he had the worst hair of all the canidates... would be pretty hard to outdo that do).
                          We have no validation that he wasn't more qualified than many of the candidates. All Weir did was ask why he wasn't on the list. She didn't tell Carson that he was her boyfriend. If we're assuming that he wasn't more qualifed than we also have to assume that Weir didn't put him on the list herself

Can't make all the assumptions against a character when there really is no data and have a well argued point.

Comment

You are right Major we dont have all the information so I am probably jumping to conclusions. Of course, if I can jump to these conclusions, and Im a Weir fan, then it would be hard to imagen her politcal opponents wouldnt jump to the same conclusions. For her it probably works out better that Simon didnt get assinged, that way the next Kinsey who decides he wants his own political hack in Atlantis doesnt have any ammo to use against her.

Comment

Weir isn't military, so have a significant other there isn't going to be against any regulations that I'm aware of.

Her getting to promotion for Sheppard was her playing the political game. She wasn't getting anywhere with the SGC people, so she went over their heads to their bosses. These sort of things happen all the time.
                              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X