This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate addresses

I was pondering this today....Do the first 6 symbols of a stargate address have to be in a certain order? I would imagine no (based on Daniel's movie explaination of the space cube, and also how they can find specific addresses by simply looking at the symbols that are lit up on a DHD prior to the wormhole disengaging). It would stand to reason that chevrons 8 (and 9) would need to be specifically at chevron 8 or 9 for their calculation to be correct. Obviously number 7 has to be number 7. A counter point to this would be Proclarouch Taonas. Naming a planet based on it's coordinates could signify that the order is important.

Any other thoughts on the subject?

-Chachi
    Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

As for finding a specific location of a gate by the dialed symbols, they don't just know, they try every permutation of the symbols until they get a lock.

You see, this is one of the things that the show has not specifically spoken about. While, it would make significant sense the way that the dialing system was explained that the order of the symbols would not matter, however, several time when dealing with six symbols that where given to them in no particular order they try all 720 permutations of the symbols, then state that only one got a lock. This would signify that order does matter. As well you are right, the naming of the planets, would also signify this.

There is one possibility, it will not change anything we know so far, just add on to it. We know the Ancients were big on exploring, so I would assume that they probably would not want there gate network limited by anything. I know I wouldn't. The amount of possible gates, allthough the number may be great, is still a limitation. Now, the way the gate network is setup now, a limitation is required, so that is unavoidable, however you could compensate, and limit this limitation as far as possible, a way to do this would be to allow each set of symbols to represent 720 possible gate adresses. So for every one gate adress we thought were possible, there are actually 720, that significantly increases the number of possible Stargates, and decreases the limitations of the gate network.

One way to accomplish this is to have each address, each order of symbols, represent a diffrent order of points. While seeing the Stargate with 38 symbols on it, we very naively assumed that there were only thirty-eight possible points per galaxy, what you see is what you get. However, instead I am suggesting that perhaps, each address is specific to each gate. Instead of the same imaginary 38 points being used to identify all of the gates, each gate has its' own six. This is also supported by the fact the gate does not establish a wormhole until after all seven symbols are dialed, as well, we know Stargates can store information. This would greatly increase the number of possible adresses and does not contradict the information that we have heard, it simply adds to it.

I am tired right now, so if I have missed anything, please point it out, also, if you would like, please request it and I will elaborate tommorow, or today, and ask any questions you don't understand. I am tired, so I have no idea if what I typed even makes sense.

Owen Macri

Comment

I dont feel like reading that. You want to simplify it?

Comment

Sure, instead of the Stargate using only thirty eight points for the entire gate network it could use six diffrent ones for each adresss, so each symbol does not represent a specific point in space but more than one. This would allow many more gates than the amount we previously assumed, A LOT more, for each possible adress that we assumed, there are seven hundred and twenty.

Owen Macri

Comment

Going by the Ancients method of gate planet naming, eg Proclarush Teonas, I would say that the order of symbols is important to the address.......and that the six symbols are actually 3 groups of 2 symbols.......each symbol is a point and the 2 together form a line......and those three lines then intersect to denote where the gate you're dialling is......

Just my personal theory though

Comment

Nope you are pretty much right, however they are six seperate symbols that you dial however it is verly logical to see them as three groups of two.

Owen Macri

Comment

Effectively the addressess can be "seen" as 3 groups of 2..........the two "points" that create the imaginary "line" that helps pinpoint the address have to be related to each other in the address........otherwise you'd get 3 "lines" that may not intersect at all wouldn't you?

i.e symbols 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6 create the "lines"...... rearrange the symbols and you get completely different "lines"........and possibly a completely different stargate address!

Comment

Possibly, it really depends on how the Stargate actually finds locations, if it works the way that I suggested, then yes a rearangement of the symbols would result in a complely diffrent adress. However yes, if the Stargate worked the way that you are suggesting you could end up with three lines no where near each other.

Owen Macri

Comment

Exactly.......my theory "explains" why every gate address doesn't necessarily create a wormhole........no intersection of "lines" no valid address

Comment

Yes, it does. However so does mine, mine also explains why sometimes there is more than one adress for each six symbols, and why in "Rising" Mckay said "it was the only one that could get a lock" talking about the gate adress, this makes it sound like it is possible for more than one adress to exist within a grouping of six symbols.

My theory also allows for many, many more possible gate adresses.

Owen Macri

Comment

I hate to bring it back round to the whole "telephone" analogy - but ya know...i am.

Does it matter what order u dial your friends mobile number? - YES, else you could end up with someone else.

So to me, it stands to reason that the order in which gate addresses are dialed follow suit.

O'Neill-
                      "How long have you been waiting there?"

"You said half-an-hour, an hour ago"
                      "General Hammond's waiting"
                      "S'cuse me..."
                      "The fate of the world is hanging in the balance and you've been sitting in your truck finishing this?"...
                      "I believe it was double or nothing"...
                      "OK 23-across, the atomic weight of Boron - The answer is TEN"...
                      "Yes?"...
                      "You wrote the word FAT"

Comment

Yes, it does seem likley, if you think about it that way. My theory does allow this.

Owen Macri

Comment

Antlainstis second episod ford rembers symbols they try them in differnet orders but only one combihnation gives them a lock so i guess that means it has to be put in a ceartian way to establish a lock mabey like it designed so it works form one point to another so that its easyer to work out the location for the computer within the stargate and to stop u geting the wrong address.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                          O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

I will be getting the second episode tonight. But it doesn't seem like that because the adress is six symbols, you should get the adress in the right order, if someones phone number is 489-980-8475 they aren't going to tell you that it is 580447899. Because that isn't thier phone number.

Owen Macri

Comment

the point need to be in a certain order. you could end up 50 lightyears away from your desired destination
                              your new guide to stargate news.
                              www.stargatenews.mypodcast.com

Master Control Radio
                              www.mastercontrol.mypodcast.com

Comment

Working...
                              X