This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-302 sound in 'The Intruder'

In the dogfight scene, the F-302's sound a lot like wraith darts. They didn't use to sound like that did they, or was it just the other one that had the AI virus, so it changed the sound to feel more at home?

I was hoping the sound was restricted to wraithian ships, as it's kinda ominous and evil... err... sounding. It would be a shame if 'the good guys' had the same sound, as by definition, they're not evil. Then again, I don't think the wraith are too evil either, they're just misunderstood.
    Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Well I don't see how sound can be transmited in space in the first place.
    "Khattam-Shud," he said slowly, "is the Arch-Enemy
    of all Stories, even of Language itself. He is the Prince of
    Silence and the Foe of Speech. And because everything ends,
    because dreams end, stories end, life ends, at the finish
    of everything we use his name. 'It's finished,' we tell one
    another, 'it's over. Khattam-Shud: The End.'"

-excerpted from Haroun and the Sea of Stories,

Comment

The sound is the manoeuvrability not how the 302 really sounds. 302's actually have a rocket sound which it nowhere near what the wraith dart's sound like. Now the sound your complaing about only happens when there is tight turns/maneuvers meaning that the 302 has a way better movement compared to darts. The darts have the same sound as all aircrafts do when they are doing tight turns but so does the Puddle Jumper if you listen to all 3 of them, you notice the differnce between each. From what ive seen is that the 302 has best maneuverability then the Dart next the Puddle Jumper which sound right to me.

302 = Are meant on the purpose to take out enemy Fighter's meaning they have to be fast and able to manoeuvr running circles arounud enemy aircrafts.

Darts = Focused of Speed going straight all they have to do is shoot and if they miss crash into the something that is important and there job is done also they used the speed for there Fastfood pickups.

Puddle Jumper = Why the hell do the Ancients need a ship that can manoeuvr around fast when they had stronger Weapons and could Cloak. They perfered to have more room for equipment/people because no one really wanted to fight them sence a Drone can chase down and kill anything we have seen so far.

Also like other guy said i dont think there should be sound in space.
      Last edited by NXds; 23 July 2005, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Sound requires air. If you have ever seen the show FireFly then you know what I am talking about. Every space scene is silent.

Comment

Yeah, having sound in space is a concession that a lot of scifi movies/shows make because the audience expects it even if it DOES defy the laws of physics.

Personally, I think having scenes like that in dead silence would be a lot more intense precisely because you'd expect sound. Sometimes it's what you can't see/hear that makes things scarier.

And yes, the 302's sounded enough like Wraith darts that I was dragged out of the story and started looking around for them.

Comment

I have to say, my first thought at the sound the F-302 makes was more F1 race cars than Wraith darts... *shrugs*

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
            "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by donnie_darko
              Well I don't see how sound can be transmited in space in the first place.
              Hmm, kinda like instantenous intergalactic/galactic/time travel then or that everywhere in the galaxy everyone seems to speak english? You're not supposed to see sound anyway, well, not without any 'supplements'. In Stargate Atlantis there is sound in space, regardless of the realism of the issue, oh yeah, it's fiction too. I don't see the point in onelining what doesn't pertain this thread or even this particular forum... then again, that might be just me.

I wasn't going for a physics discussion, imo that would be kinda off topic. The 302's didn't use to sound like that until this episode, and that was the point I was trying to convey. Agreed, it wasn't exactly same, I'd describe it being more subtle, but still, different from what they used to sound like.
              Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Comment

The "sound" in space comes from the same place the incidental music comes from. It adds to the visual performance (supposedly), but is not actually heard by the characters themselves, who hear silence.

Personally, I feel that Firefly showed that, so long as you have a really good composer doing your incidental music, silent space can really, really work. In many ways it makes the scenes more tense and visceral. At Comic-Con last weekend, Joss Whedon also said that Serenity would folllow in this technique. "In the blackness of space, there will be no sound. On the edge of the blackness of space, there will be some sound. On the planets, there'll be lots of talking."

Silent space also made for a very creepy death scene in the season finale of Doctor Who this year.

-IMF
                "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

kinda boring if the entire fight scene was silent, but hey looks like the 302s have a energy weapon or a set of rail guns
                  Last edited by Acropolis; 23 July 2005, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I thought they were mini guns with tracers
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

First of u can get sound in space as scientists have picked up the residual sounds of what they think is the big bang. Any way it is mainly for effect although i have to admit silence is more dramtic it would be borring so it is just adding something more to the show.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                      O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

Originally posted by valha'lla
                        First of u can get sound in space as scientists have picked up the residual sounds of what they think is the big bang.
                        Not really. They looked at a picture of the background microwave radiation from the big bang, discovered patches and mounds and discovered that they were sound waves propagating through that medium.

The difference here is that about 380,000 years after the big bang, the entire universe was hot and cloudy; you have a medium for sound to travel through. As the universe cooled down more, that medium collapsed into stars and space became transparent, which means no medium, which means no sound.
                        This is also why we can't see all the way back to the Big Bang; the universe is too cloudy to see that far back in time.

There hasn't been sound in space for at least 13.6 billion years. I don't see why sound effect companies insist on adding it.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

It sounded a lot like the dart sound to me to. A bit less pronounced perhaps but definately very similar. Kind of not cool for me because the dart sound was really distinctive to darts just like the Tie Fighter UUURRRRRRRrrRRRRRR sound.

Comment

well i guess it would suck if the there was a show without sound during space, but it would feel more real and they could still have sound like imagine the siege part three, they have sound they talk in the daedalus but when they show space just no sound but it wouldn't be boring because we would hear the inside of the daedalus which ofcourse has air so we could hear them talk and then a space scnene no sound.
                            sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama

Comment

Originally posted by vandred
                              well i guess it would suck if the there was a show without sound during space...
                              There actually already has been at least 2 shows that had space without sound, and to my mind, neither of them even remotely sucked. Check out Firefly on DVD sometime, or try Star Cops if you can find it.

-IMF
                              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X