This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruin in the Milky Way

So I was pondering the state of affairs in our galaxy as I rewatched the Reckoning/Threads arc tonight. As of the end of season 8 of SG-1, things must have been left in absolute ruin.

Consider for a moment the major events depicted,
    • The System Lords are defeated at the hands of Anubis/Baal, thus bringing the remaining Goa'uld worlds and power base under the control of Anubis (barring a few stragglers and distant minor Lords who have avoided getting involved to this point)
    • Replicators have literally swarmed across our galaxy, consuming entire civilizations
    • the bulk of Anubis'/Baal's fleet is destroyed/captured in battle with the Replicators
    • the rebel Jaffa movement has reached its peak and dealt a fatal blow to the Goa'uld hold over them
    • Anubis is, for all intents and purposes, utterly defeated

The aftermath of such things would be absolutely staggering.
    • loss of vast archaeological sites, including potentially priceless Ancient treasures and technologies, all consumed by the Replicators
    • Free Jaffa Nation's influence limited almost exclusively to Dakara, meaning that Jaffa allegiance across the entire galaxy is in question (whether they continue to serve their 'gods', to pledge allegiance to the Free Jaffa Nation, or if they'll simply go it alone)
    • Oma Desala's eternal duel with Anubis means an effective end to any remaining Ancient presence in our galaxy
    • entire civilizations consumed by the Replicators
    • Essentially, no remaining power structure in our galaxy whatsoever
    • fleets upon fleets of Goa'uld motherships empty and adrift in the galaxy for anyone to seize control of
    • civil wars on planets left in a post-Goa'uld power vacuum
    • famine on planets left in a post-Goa'uld power vacuum with no idea how to manage a labor force in a non-slave labor economy

The humanitarian factor alone is simply staggering. Imagine an entire galaxy of consumed by civil wars, disease, and famine because the old order has finally been broken. Many wanted an end to the Goa'uld enslavement of the galaxy, an end to the Replicator threat....many died pursuing these goals. It seems however, that for many, victory is as bitter as defeat.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

We just need to let the ori know where to get the goa'ulds old planets. then everything will be better.

Comment

The humanitarian factor alone is simply staggering. Imagine an entire galaxy of consumed by civil wars, disease, and famine because the old order has finally been broken. Many wanted an end to the Goa'uld enslavement of the galaxy, an end to the Replicator threat....many died pursuing these goals. It seems however, that for many, victory is as bitter as defeat.
      Yup large stretchs of the galaxy is in ruin...
      The perfect environment for the Ori priors to spread their religion :grins evilly:
      sigpic

Comment

season 8 has set the stage for a new order of evil i guess i have never though of it that way it must be absolutely destroyed and ruined aha!!!!
        For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Yes the damage is truly amazing but will TPTB deal with it or sidestep the issue?
          Under these circumstances it's a perfect opportunity for the Ori to take hold. There is almost no one to oppose them and they will seem to offer hope from all the horrors that remain. This doesn't seem like a situation the Tauri will be able to triumph over.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
            Yes the damage is truly amazing but will TPTB deal with it or sidestep the issue?
            Under these circumstances it's a perfect opportunity for the Ori to take hold. There is almost no one to oppose them and they will seem to offer hope from all the horrors that remain. This doesn't seem like a situation the Tauri will be able to triumph over.
            Somehow I'm expecting TPTB to sidestep the issue, which is really rather unfortunate. There could be some excellent stories made out of this.

Though I don't know that the Orii would bring "hope," per se. They seem more like the type who would rule through fear. Far more so than the Goa'uld anyhow.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

"Victory" IS usually won at GREAT cost. I don't see why this should be different on a galaxy-wide scale, rather than just a planetary one.

As to whether this issue is addressed by tptb.....probably not directly, but perhaps when introducing us to the Ori, it will come up.
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                hough I don't know that the Orii would bring "hope," per se. They seem more like the type who would rule through fear. Far more so than the Goa'uld anyhow.
                Don't forget I said "seem". Almost all religions have a basis in escaping the pain and difficulties of mortality and it seems the Ori won't be any different. Their way out will be the offer ascension. When life is a mess all around you, for many, aspiring to an existence devoid of all your troubles offers some hope even in spite of any hidden consequences.

Also, seeing as how their 'gods' are now dead or weakened. Some people may actually be looking for something new to believe in. It's a prime opportunity for the Ori and just about anyone else who wishes to capitalize on others misfortunes.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                  If the Taur'i aren't able, in your estimation, to triumph over this situation, I wonder what tptb will do with all their free time?
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

ooooooh I could think of so many things... besides golfing through a wormhole directed at an Ori converted world. Of course all those things would probably be unworthy of Stargate personnel. well maybe not ALL of them

Comment

Working...
                    X