Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

instantaneous travel through a wormhole?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

instantaneous travel through a wormhole?

I thought they've mentioned numerous times that a stargate provides [B}instantaneous[/B] travel through space. So that whole wormhole scene they show when they go through the stargate is not really what they're seeing, it's just for us to show us that their atoms are being transported across space. But whenever they send a probe through, they always have it tracking how long till it arrives and they have the diagram which shows its position as it gets closer to the planet. The probe should enter instantaneously, there should be no time between when they send it through and when it arrives.
    Could anyone clear these up for me or is it just a contradiction?

thanks

As someone who is schooled in the finer details of Quantum Mechanics (I changed it to shut people the hell up, being my PhDs apparently offended the more insipid morons in this area)

The reason that the matter doesn't automatically reintegrate is because of one special reason. SUBSPACE. Just because subspace is VASTLY and EXTREMELY faster then normal space, there still is travel time. no matter where you gate to. Subspace certainly DOES has a speed limit, but because we haven't advanced far enough to utilize it we do not know the maximum speed is.

Now what your thinking of is folding space which would allow matter to appear instantaneously from one gate to the next, but folding space required a massive amount of power, that on the likes of 2 of our suns. Not even a ZPM can supply that, even though it has enough explosive power to wipe a solar system out.

Not to mention one thing that has been discovered, Folding space also obviously generates a massive gravity well, so much so it has been theorized that is can obliterate matter by crushing it and distorting the molecules, as to where the artificial wormhole that the stargate creates doesn't create a gravity field, it doesn't warp space, it just send the object/person into subspace to the other gate.

I does get complicated but I will leave the basics here for now.
    Last edited by jaden10; 06 August 2005, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Nice post jaden10! Congratgulations on the PHD Doctor.

In response to the original post, There is one thing that is instantaneous, the dematerialization and rematerialization of the matter traveling through the gate, the time it takes to dematerialize matter is instantaneous, but the travel is far from it.

Along those lines, The Stargate does not send your atoms through the artificialy created wormholes, it sends your dematerialized matter, or energy. Just to clear that up.

Owen Macri

Comment

Hey owen, how do you know so much? I would like to get a phd in quantum mechanics. I still have 4 more years to decide though. What is your proffession jaden?

Comment

To tell you the truth, I have no idea how I know so much. I am very interested in science, among other things, my dad is very good with science, it was one of his majors. I watch tons of Stargate, but I don't really know, I learn a lot from my dad, and then some things, I just know. I would really like to give you an answer, but I don't know. Thank you very much for the compliment. You seem very knowledgable too.

You are deffinetly getting reputation for this.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
            What is your proffession jaden?
            I am currently a consultant for JPL.
            Last edited by jaden10; 06 August 2005, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Ok, THAT IS PRETTY FREAKING COOL!!! You are so getting reputation for that!

Owen Macri

Comment

Whoah. You are so lucky. Where did you goto school?

Comment

While you are answering questions, what kind of stuff do you do?

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                    Ok, THAT IS PRETTY FREAKING COOL!!! You are so getting reputation for that!

Owen Macri
                    To be honest when I was a younger all I wanted to do it be a minister (talk about a complete 180). But it is cool, especially when you see the end results. But also there is a flip side, Long nights up trying to figure out problems (like tonight ) and making plans that WILL work (in theory at least). The one rather large pain in the arse, since September 11th security has gotten very, very tight (for obvious reasons). And because of the tight security it becomes a bit annoying to literally have someone up your arse checking you and your family our for questionable associates. But I feel it is worth it.
                    Last edited by jaden10; 06 August 2005, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Whoah. You are so lucky. Where did you goto school?
                      Let me tell you something about being lucky, you make your own luck if you follow your passions with a vengence.

Here is the list of schools I went to.
                      MIT
                      UCLA
                      CalTech.

I got my PhD from MIT in Quantum Physics/Mechanics
                      I got my Associate in Computer science from UCLA
                      And I got my second PhD in Theoretical Quantum Physics

Yes, it is true that there actually IS a class in Theoretical QP.

But also I needed to talk classes in other subjects which got me Certificates in Computer Repair (MSCP, A+) and I also got a AA in Business Mangement (nothing else struck my fancy)

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                        While you are answering questions, what kind of stuff do you do?

Owen Macri
                        In general, I am working with a team on the propulsion and artificial gravity technologies (propulsion for a speedy trip and artificial gravity so there is less of a chance that the crew doesn't loose bone and muscle mass in Zero G)
                        Also some of the computer hardware for the ship.
                        Last edited by jaden10; 06 August 2005, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Ya, I sort of figured that, but thank you very much.

Owen Macri

Comment

Is there a place I can read about the non classidified stuff? IS there any that has to do with the artificial gravity stuff?

Comment

Is there a place I can read about the non classidified stuff? IS there any that has to do with the artificial gravity stuff?
                              I can tell you right now, and it is pretty common knowledge, the stage that we are at with Artificial Gravity is this.
                              we put a centrifuge on the ship in the middle and we spin it up to about 80-110 feet per minute (and yes, feet per minute is currently use) and you have gravity. But I won't lie, that is expensive and bulky as hell to build, it would have to be built in space.

As for finding stuff out, goto Google and put in "Artificial Gravity" and it will come up with some good choices.

And yes for the wondering people out there, allot of the tech that we have going is Startrek inspired. And it is very true, if it wasn't for Trek, about 60-70% of the people in this field would not be in it. All bow in homage to the late great Gene Roddenburry
                              Last edited by jaden10; 06 August 2005, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X